VOGONS

First post, by AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Need some suggestions for PCI video cards for a Pentium Pro 180MHz. I was thinking maybe a 2mb or 4mb S3 Trio or S3 Virge, but maybe those are too old? I can't really remember what is most period-correct. I mostly just need something that will run stable under Windows 98, and that will play most games.

Reply 1 of 56, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe (and if compatible with your system I don't know) I would try Mystique 4MB + Voodoo 1 or a Riva 128 PCI, obviously for very old accelerated games.

Last edited by 386SX on 2016-02-08, 13:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 56, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Im using a Mystique 4MB with my dual Pentium Pro system running NT4, if it was a single CPU system running DOS I would have used a S3 Trio64 or Virge.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-02-08, 13:53. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 56, by AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried looking up "pci voodoo" on eBay, and everyone wants a fortune for anything that matches that description.

Would the ATI RADEON 7000 64MB PCI DDR be a decent option? Found one for $15.

Reply 4 of 56, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only an opinion: the first generation Voodoo based card (usually 4MB of ram) is a 3D only accelerator that need another 2D video card to run (it will not run alone). A Radeon 7000 is a much newer card that usually would require much more powerful cpu to be used at best. It depends on what someone need for a system config like that. And it also depends on what would be fully compatible (chipset,motherboard,bios..) or not.

Last edited by 386SX on 2016-02-08, 14:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 56, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good luck finding a Riva 128 pci as those are Rare these days, a pci TNT or TNT2 is ok even though still a bit strong for the system but are much easier and often cheaper to get.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 56, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends what your usage will be. If it's for playing games that came out when the Pro was relevant and you'd like to stay "period correct" then I'd get a Matrox + Voodoo. It's hard to properly slow down a Pentium Pro, so I would not worry about compatibility with older games (which the S3 Virge can provide). The Matrox cards are very fast in DOS and Windows, plus they have excellent output VGA quality (which I value).

Good alternatives (that arent exactly period correct) is the Voodoo3/5 PCI. Glide support, fast in DOS & Windows and good compatibility. It's the card I'm using in my Pentium Pro 200 system 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would suggest a riva128 PCI too... Excellent card for fast 2d stuff. Combine it with a voodoo1 or 2 and you are set!
I had no idea PCI ones are less common, got a bunch here and always found that agp ones are the hard to get... Maybe now days all flavors are hard to find... 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 56, by AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a bit confused with what you guys are saying about combining cards. You're saying use more than one video card? I don't believe I ever did anything like that back in the day.

Reply 9 of 56, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Win98 puts you in DX6, 7 & 8 territory. DX6 would be the best match era-wise, but a newer card would be more versatile (can be used on PIII systems, etc.) and probably easier to find (and therefore cheaper).

DX6:
ATi Rage 128 or Pro
ATi RIVA TNT2 or M64
3dfx Voodoo 3

DX7:
ATi Radeon 7000
nVidia MX 440

DX8:
ATi Radeon 8500
nVidia MX4000
nVidia FX5200

The 5200 is the latest PCI card I own, but I don't know if there are later.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 10 of 56, by AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:

Win98 puts you in DX6, 7 & 8 territory. DX6 would be the best match era-wise, but a newer card would be more versatile (can be used on PIII systems, etc.) and probably easier to find (and therefore cheaper).

Yeah, I'm finding most everything period-correct suggested here is extremely expensive on eBay--$50-$100+

I'll probably just go with something newer and cheaper.

Reply 11 of 56, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AllUrBaseRBelong2Us wrote:

I'm a bit confused with what you guys are saying about combining cards. You're saying use more than one video card? I don't believe I ever did anything like that back in the day.

Most popular and most compatible 3d accelerator of that time were add-on Voodoo cards by 3dfx.

Reply 12 of 56, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Voodoo1 and Voodoo2 are not video cards - they are 3D accelerators only. Voodoo Banshee/3 and beyond are fully fledged graphics cards.

IMHO a Banshee would be a great single-card solution for that system, but good luck finding a PCI Banshee. For earlier 3DFx cards the Voodoo2 is much easier (and cheaper) to find than the Voodoo1 in my experience, and would go well with your Matrox.

Reply 13 of 56, by AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Putas wrote:

Most popular and most compatible 3d accelerator of that time were add-on Voodoo cards by 3dfx.

So the basic video card of the time only did 2-D, and you had to add a separate card for 3-D, correct? Sounds complicated.

Would something like the ATI 7000 do both 2D & 3D?

Reply 14 of 56, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll probably just go with something newer and cheaper.

Voodoo 3 PCI cards are quite expensive, but brand new Matrox G450 PCI cards are quite cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/32MB-Matrox-Millenniu … FYAAOSwrklVNqs7

Here is a Riva 128 PCI for 15 EURO:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARTE-VIDEO-PCI-ELSA- … tAAAOSwu-BWP0Y0

Voodoo2 12MB PCI for 30 USD:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STB-3dfx-Voodoo2-grap … UEAAOxyYANTa430

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 15 of 56, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So the basic video card of the time only did 2-D, and you had to add a separate card for 3-D, correct? Sounds complicated.

Would something like the ATI 7000 do both 2D & 3D?

The thing about 3D back then is that it took a while for things to become a standard. 3DFx cards (the Voodoos) also get you Glide API support - which the Radeon will not.

IMHO before buying a card you should first look at the games you wanna play - sereval early 3D games (specially DOS) did not support either D3D or OpenGL, but proprietary APIs and Glide was the most popular one. If you wanna play games that support Glide only, no way to escape getting a Voodoo besides using wrappers (but those would need a more powerful PC anyway).

For early OpenGL games, if memory doesn't fail me, you are better off with NVidia cards. Something TNT2 or GeForce2 MX in PCI form.

Reply 17 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 were 3D-only cards, they only do 3D stuff.
So if you intent to use either of those, you'll need a second graphics card for displaying 2D stuff like your Windows desktop 😜
It doesn't matter if your 2D card can also do 3D btw, Voodoo is all about the Glide 😀

edit:
Personally, especially if Glide isn't an issue anyway, I'd say just get one of those PCI TNT2 M64, Vanta-16 or, if need be, anything with GF MX that fits in a PCI slot without a hammer 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 56, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Personally, especially if Glide isn't an issue anyway, I'd say just get one of those PCI TNT2 M64, Vanta-16 or, if need be, anything with GF MX that fits in a PCI slot without a hammer 😁

+1. Get something versatile as a starting point, then keep those eyes peeled for a Voodoo bargain later on to make your system perfect. You're more likely to find one when you don't need one. 😀

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 19 of 56, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Using a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI with my Pentium Pro 200. Total overkill, but I seriously couldn't go wrong with the great IQ it offers, plus the fact that it's just one card instead of 2 or 3. Now to find a 440FX motherboard to replace my 450NX and we're cookin' 😉.