VOGONS

Best WinXP Video Card

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 241, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^^ Good point. I like to avoid sweeping statements, there are a lot of factors to consider and everyone has different needs. I have seen all sorts of driver issues under XP, so for many having the option to use old drivers is important.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 62 of 241, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
No it doesn't. No sound in win7/8/10. Works fine under Vista and XP. […]
Show full quote
candle_86 wrote:

Also remember that once you get to 2006 era games, they are also Vista and 7 compatabile except for a few odd balls so no need for a retro computer to play them, Crysis works just as well on XP as it does on 10

No it doesn't. No sound in win7/8/10. Works fine under Vista and XP.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/24222-63- … problem-windows

I tried all possible "fixes" found online - I tried updating it - no dice.

You where doing something wrong, as I have no issues with Crysis in Windows 10, nor 8 nor 7.

Reply 63 of 241, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

You where doing something wrong, as I have no issues with Crysis in Windows 10, nor 8 nor 7.

Indeed. I also didn't have any problems with sound in Crysis and I even recorded a video in Win 7 from Crysis gameplay.

157143230295.png

Reply 64 of 241, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same here, both Crysis (1) and Warhead running fine with sound @ win10. Using Xonar DX.
The only issue is buggy support for 120/144 Hz screen... as it starts at 60 Hz by default and only can be forced to run at full speed making few alt-tab and alt-enter (when lucky). But that's most likely not OS related.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 65 of 241, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

980s work in xp if I recall

GTX 980 only works on XP with modded drivers, also same for GTX 970, 980ti and TITAN X Maxwell

Actually, blackwingcat managed to make Windows 2000 drivers, although untested though:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1925833.html

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 67 of 241, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Carlos S. M. wrote:
GTX 980 only works on XP with modded drivers, also same for GTX 970, 980ti and TITAN X Maxwell […]
Show full quote
Jade Falcon wrote:

980s work in xp if I recall

GTX 980 only works on XP with modded drivers, also same for GTX 970, 980ti and TITAN X Maxwell

Actually, blackwingcat managed to make Windows 2000 drivers, although untested though:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1925833.html

That is hilarious.

I've some times wondered just how far back I could go with my current i5 2500K + GTX 970 system.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 68 of 241, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

^^ Good point. I like to avoid sweeping statements, there are a lot of factors to consider and everyone has different needs. I have seen all sorts of driver issues under XP, so for many having the option to use old drivers is important.

Yup. I agree on all points.

candle_86 wrote:

I'm not the only one. There's loads of threads started by people having this exact same issue with the game.

I tried it on my main rig (i7 3770k, GTX 1070, X-Fi Extrene Audio PCI-E, win 10 anniversary) as well as on my XP rig witch dual-boots win 8.1 (Q6600 @ 3GHz, Asus P5K64-WS, GTX 280, Audigy Extreme Music) with the exact same results. On my XP rig it works perfectly in XP but I have no sound in win 8.1. I tried the system.cfg fix I found online:

sys_budget_sysmem = 4096

--- sound ---
sys_budget_soundchannels = 32
s_SpeakerConfig = 0
s_FormatSampleRate = 44100
s_FormatType = 3

I also tried messing with the sound quality - it works when setting audio card output to 16 bit 44khz but there's a lot of crackling and it cuts off after a few minutes. I tried both the steam version I bought as well as a couple of "arrrgh!" copies I downloaded - results are always the same. Crysis Warhead works fine on win7/8/10 tough.

Reply 69 of 241, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

Why, what game from the xp era needs a 980. Even Crysis will max out on a gtx 480 @ 1080p

It still doesn't look quite good at 1080p on my GTX 470...

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 70 of 241, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
Yup. I agree on all points. […]
Show full quote
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Yup. I agree on all points.

candle_86 wrote:

I'm not the only one. There's loads of threads started by people having this exact same issue with the game.

I tried it on my main rig (i7 3770k, GTX 1070, X-Fi Extrene Audio PCI-E, win 10 anniversary) as well as on my XP rig witch dual-boots win 8.1 (Q6600 @ 3GHz, Asus P5K64-WS, GTX 280, Audigy Extreme Music) with the exact same results. On my XP rig it works perfectly in XP but I have no sound in win 8.1. I tried the system.cfg fix I found online:

sys_budget_sysmem = 4096

--- sound ---
sys_budget_soundchannels = 32
s_SpeakerConfig = 0
s_FormatSampleRate = 44100
s_FormatType = 3

I also tried messing with the sound quality - it works when setting audio card output to 16 bit 44khz but there's a lot of crackling and it cuts off after a few minutes. I tried both the steam version I bought as well as a couple of "arrrgh!" copies I downloaded - results are always the same. Crysis Warhead works fine on win7/8/10 tough.

Well then it's your X-fi causing the issue, though I have to ask why are you still using a sound card, onboard audio from about 2010 forward is just as good as any sound card.

Reply 71 of 241, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

Well then it's your X-fi causing the issue, though I have to ask why are you still using a sound card, onboard audio from about 2010 forward is just as good as any sound card.

It's not. I get the same issue using the on board ALC892 in my main rig or the ALC662 in my XP rig. Google it, there's tons of people complaining about this exact issue.

I use the SB1040 because for some reason current realtek drivers are causing BSODs on my machine. It worked fine in win 8.1 but as soon as I switched to 10 the horrors started.

Reply 72 of 241, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

I use the SB1040 because for some reason current realtek drivers are causing BSODs on my machine. It worked fine in win 8.1 but as soon as I switched to 10 the horrors started.

That's odd, but then I don't use non-builtin drivers for sound unless I have to. If Windows has or can fetch the driver for it itself I tend to let it, but then I don't do anything special with my sound hardware.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 73 of 241, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sedrosken wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

That's odd, but then I don't use non-builtin drivers for sound unless I have to. If Windows has or can fetch the driver for it itself I tend to let it, but then I don't do anything special with my sound hardware.

It does work perfectly with the driver win10 installs, but it's missing lots of features, like AEC and Noise suppression witch I need for skype, wow and wot.

Reply 75 of 241, by Kynrek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for the information. I found this thread to be very helpful. I just ordered a GTX 285 from ebay for $25 shipped! (not bad!) Is there a particular driver version that is recommended for playing 2002-2006 games?

Reply 76 of 241, by dries_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Really hard to choose a "best" GPU. I'd always go on a game by game basis. But the GTX 285 seems like a solid choice.

Had a GTX 275 and it ran very hot under load (up to 95°C), died after about 4-5 years of regular use. So would advise to monitor the temps closely.

Reply 77 of 241, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dries_86 wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Really hard to choose a "best" GPU. I'd always go on a game by game basis. But the GTX 285 seems like a solid choice.

Had a GTX 275 and it ran very hot under load (up to 95°C), died after about 4-5 years of regular use. So would advise to monitor the temps closely.

The default fan profile is too conservative IMO. Manufacturers didn't want to get complaints about noise. A few years of life is "enough" from their point of view.
Using Speedfan you can make it ramp up sooner. But even at 100% I've still had trouble keeping my GTX275 (and 260 before that) down in a range I'm comfortable with. Based on disassembling the 260 I think the heatsink leaves a gap above the GPU that's just jammed full of paste. No idea why the clearance is so sloppy.
It's been suggested to me to fill that gap with a piece of copper. I haven't looked at it since then but I suspect that would help these cards' cooling significantly.

Reply 78 of 241, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 275 GTX CO-OP seems to be dead -- at first it would just drop image to black screen whenever any 3D rendering was done but would work fine for 2D use/web-browsing... now it won't POST anymore. I might experiment on it and attempt to see if it can be repaired as I feel it is kind of collectable... having the second (250) GPU on there for dedicated physics and the Joker decal from Batman Arkham Asylum.

Reply 79 of 241, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

I just wanted to comment in here.. if one really wanted "the best windows XP gpu" .. technically the GTX Titan Black has fully native WHQL drivers from nvidia for Windows XP 32-bit. The fastest card AMD side that has native WinXP support is the R9 270X, however this card is a little less than half as fast as the Titan Black. Then again the TB card is still stupid expensive today. But.. it is technically the fastest gpu for XP. That is.. unless you want to count the Titan Z, dual-gpu version of the Titan Black. Also native XP supported. I've tried hard but I can't get my R9 290X to work in windows XP 32-bit, sadly. 🙁

do you mean 280x (rebranded 7970)? because the 7970 is faster than the 270x (7870 rebrand) and works on XP with Catalyst 14.4

also I see this list but
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults. … px/105040/en-us

how can it make any sense? 960 uses a newer and more updated (clearly visible by the more advanced video block) GPU compared to the 980, why is the 980 not there?
I saw something about memory size, but in that case, the Titan Black has even more memory