VOGONS

Reply 40 of 68, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stynx wrote:
Hi, Im using the DVI2PCIe for capturing RGBs Video from Apple IIgs, Atari ST and Amiga computers. It's a bit tedious to configur […]
Show full quote
elianda wrote:

My current next plans are:
Well, if you got any more ideas what would be nice to implement...

Hi, Im using the DVI2PCIe for capturing RGBs Video from Apple IIgs, Atari ST and Amiga computers. It's a bit tedious to configure the settings every time i start the capture tool. It would be nice to have the following resolutions added to your align tool:

31khz mode
640x400 72hz b/w

15khz modes:
640x200 4c
640x256 4c
320x200 16c
320x256 16c

The colors should be from a 512 color palette. Amiga, Atari STe and Apple IIgs support 12bit color (4x4x4) but for compatibility it should be the Atari ST palette with 9bit color (3bit R, 3bit G, 3bit B). RGBs can be connected to the DVI2PCIe by connecting the Csync to the Hsync line on the VGA-adapter. I can test the Apple pigs and Atari modes, but since my A500 is bust at the time, the x256 modes cannot be tested by me.

what software do you use to capture?

Reply 41 of 68, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I noticed that the eBay seller has vanished, and there are no DVI2PCIe cards on eBay, what's a source for these cards nowdays?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 42 of 68, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

I noticed that the eBay seller has vanished, and there are no DVI2PCIe cards on eBay, what's a source for these cards nowdays?

$1000+ from Epiphan directly 😵

Unless someone bought all 10, and I thought that would happen, and will re-sell them soon.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 43 of 68, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I've installed the card in my main PC without problems today.
The bracket taken from the sacrificial video card (DELL X8760 DVI) fits like a glove.

However when I try to grab anything from the card, all I get is a black screen.
Different software all give the same result. If the cable is unplugged it gives a blue screen.
Strange thing is that detected resolutions and fps are correct, but the image is just pitch black.

All people with DVI2PCIe cards in here seem to have working cards... could mine be broken, or misconfigured somehow?
Drivers installed with no issues and card was detected easily. Any ideas welcome 😀

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 44 of 68, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe a set copyright bit when capturing from HDMI ?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 45 of 68, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:

Maybe a set copyright bit when capturing from HDMI ?

You know what? The more I read about it, the more you're right.
No idea why it had not occurred to me though, but thanks for the tip! Now I need to find a way to capture anyway. Apparently some splitters/adapters can help.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 46 of 68, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, this sucks. I saw that last card listed on eBay, and the VERY NEXT SECOND I clicked on it, it had already sold. No DVI2PCIe for me, I guess.

I mostly wanted one because my Startech PEXHDCAP/Micomsoft SC-500N1 (they're practically the same thing) doesn't seem particularly receptive to refresh rates above 60 Hz. It'd at least be nice if I could have something that could capture all those weird early resolution modes like 720x400@70Hz that my retro PC build sometimes spits out, particularly during POST.

Reply 47 of 68, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The StarTech scaler is the easiest device for this. Because it's a scaler, the output will be softer, but it does all the resolutions.

Reply 48 of 68, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FWIW, this card can indeed capture 240/288p RGB video, but one has to set a custom mode and disable all the built in preset VESA modes (otherwise it defaults to interlaced capture). Got the Amiga outputting at 640x200@60p without too much hassle. Overall this card is much more fussy than other capture devices, the alignment tool is a must!

Reply 49 of 68, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

The StarTech scaler is the easiest device for this. Because it's a scaler, the output will be softer, but it does all the resolutions.

Yeah, I think that if the DVI2PCIe doesn't re-appear at a reasonable price some time soon, I'll probably capitulate and get a Startech scaler + GameBroadcasterHD combo.

Reply 50 of 68, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Yeah, I think that if the DVI2PCIe doesn't re-appear at a reasonable price some time soon, I'll probably capitulate and get a Startech scaler + GameBroadcasterHD combo.

A viewer told me that the StarTech has been replaced by a new version. Which of course does NOT support the 720 x 400 resolution anymore 🙁

Reply 51 of 68, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Damn.

It's annoying that I've only really had the funds to look at capture solutions now, instead of back when the good deals were going.

🙁

Reply 52 of 68, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depending on what you're doing, filming the monitor can work really well.

I've been doing this much more lately, the trick is to adjust exposure to the monitor rather than surroundings. Or adjust the monitor so it exposes together with the surrounding 😀

DOS stuff looks great this way. Anything high resolution the AVerMedia will do the job. And remember, if the machine has AGP, you can just capture from DVI, even in DOS, BIOS, 320 x 200 gaming with a basic GeForce.

Reply 53 of 68, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322257103255

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252418629148

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-DVI2PCIe-PC … d-/112137850015

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Epiphan-DVI2PCIe-DVI-H … x-/182261978120

Reply 55 of 68, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had one of these for months and I only now got around to playing with it. I tried capturing a few games that run at 320x200 (Doom, Descent) and the capture tool says it is synced at 720x400. It also looks a bit letterboxed. Is this normal? I tried adding a 320x200 mode, but it won't save or work.

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to capture audio from HDMI/DVI using this card? It seems like it is an artificial driver limitation. Or should I have bought a DVI2PCIe Duo?

Reply 56 of 68, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

720 x 400 is correct, you just need to aspect correct in the video editor 😀

Yup, it cannot capture audio through HDMI. For newer HDMI stuff, you're better off with a consumer level product like from AVerMedia or Elgato.

Reply 57 of 68, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

720 x 400 is correct, you just need to aspect correct in the video editor 😀

That's good to know! I was kind of hoping to use the capture software as a "monitor" while I tinkered with my retro PCs.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Yup, it cannot capture audio through HDMI. For newer HDMI stuff, you're better off with a consumer level product like from AVerMedia or Elgato.

I was afraid of that. Do you know how do these Micomsoft cards compare to the DVI2PCIe? It seems to support lossless capture and HDMI audio. I'd like to get an all-in-one capture solution that works with everything I have.

Reply 58 of 68, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea I know of that card, but know little about it 🙁 All the reviews focus on consoles rather than PC gaming.

Reply 59 of 68, by Stefan_L

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FuzzyLogic wrote:

I was afraid of that. Do you know how do these Micomsoft cards compare to the DVI2PCIe?

I have the Micomsoft SC-500N1 and it is useless for any 70hz video modes 😒