VOGONS

Reply 21 of 35, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2023-02-15, 05:44:

Sure, go for it 😀

Wow, you are still there!

So tell me, what kind of results you want, only in Windows XP 32bit ambient obviously?

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 22 of 35, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Basicly the same things I tested here.
WinXP 3DMark 99MAX/2000/01SE/03/06 (all default presets) + Quake III (settings in first post) + DOOM3 (Ultra 1024x768) + Crysis (again, settings in first post). If you could test multiple presets for Crysis (example : Low @ FHD + Med @ 1024x768) - it would be great.
Thank you !

Reply 23 of 35, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2023-02-25, 10:42:

WinXP 3DMark 99MAX/2000/01SE/03/06 (all default presets) + Quake III (settings in first post) + DOOM3 (Ultra 1024x768) + Crysis (again, settings in first post). If you could test multiple presets for Crysis (example : Low @ FHD + Med @ 1024x768) - it would be great.
Thank you !

Sure I will, but I think I have to wait for another HD3850 video card.

Today I power on my system to make some benchmark as you asked me, but unfortunately the video card seems dead. Bad lines on the monitor just from the beginning on the bios screen.

I tried to reseat the video card, I tryed to clean contact, I demounted the heatsink and reapply the thermal paste, I tried to cook her with my Bosch heat gun.

Nothing change. Always that damned lines and video corruption, and the funny thing is that yesterday I made a flash boot only to see if the system was ok (It was powered off from about two years) and all worked right. Today not, today seems that the VGA is dead.

So sad.

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 25 of 35, by McM4r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
biessea wrote on 2023-02-25, 15:25:
Sure I will, but I think I have to wait for another HD3850 video card. […]
Show full quote

Thank you !

Today I power on my system to make some benchmark as you asked me, but unfortunately the video card seems dead. Bad lines on the monitor just from the beginning on the bios screen.

I tried to reseat the video card, I tryed to clean contact, I demounted the heatsink and reapply the thermal paste, I tried to cook her with my Bosch heat gun.

Nothing change. Always that damned lines and video corruption, and the funny thing is that yesterday I made a flash boot only to see if the system was ok (It was powered off from about two years) and all worked right. Today not, today seems that the VGA is dead.

So sad.

Hi, it sounds like a dead vram module, you can use the nvidia mats to check who's the culprit and then replace it, now GDDR3 modules are pretty cheap.

Reply 26 of 35, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
McM4r wrote on 2023-02-25, 17:51:
Show full quote

Thank you !

So sad.

Hi, it sounds like a dead vram module, you can use the nvidia mats to check who's the culprit and then replace it, now GDDR3 modules are pretty cheap.

Yes It sounds right, it's without doubts a vram module.

How can I use the Nvidia maths? I never heard before of this;

And how can I replace a vram module sorry? I don't have a bga soldering station, I'm not a professionist.

Love beer, too.

Reply 27 of 35, by McM4r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
biessea wrote on 2023-02-26, 00:18:
Yes It sounds right, it's without doubts a vram module. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

So sad.

And how can I replace a vram module sorry? I don't have a bga soldering station, I'm not a professionist.

You can make a bootable usb with the software, on internet there are plenty of tutorials is not quite hard and if you don’t have the soldering skills like me 😅 you can go to a repair shop to do the job, just make sure is a reputable one. Sooner I will do the same but I’m looking to make a vram upgrade (1gb) just need to find a second hd 3850 agp.

Reply 28 of 35, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
McM4r wrote on 2023-02-26, 07:47:
biessea wrote on 2023-02-26, 00:18:
Yes It sounds right, it's without doubts a vram module. […]
Show full quote

You can make a bootable usb with the software, on internet there are plenty of tutorials is not quite hard and if you don’t have the soldering skills like me 😅 you can go to a repair shop to do the job, just make sure is a reputable one. Sooner I will do the same but I’m looking to make a vram upgrade (1gb) just need to find a second hd 3850 agp.

Please let me know how to do and if you succeed. Thanks

Love beer, too.

Reply 29 of 35, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyway I tried to understand more about that software, and begin troubles.

I cannot find a file to download.

In a youtube video I saw and tried to understand, but it seems really complicate.

You have to edit texts files, you have to know good what tests to do, I am completely discomforted now, it is too complicate to use.

And most importantly, I haven't found any site where download the program even for AMD/ATi cards.

Love beer, too.

Reply 30 of 35, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, today is arriced another hd3850 AGP.

Tonite or perhaps tomorrow morning I will share more results in my Phenom II quad core system.

Love beer, too.

Reply 31 of 35, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here I am with the 3dMark results.

Enjoy! 😀

Attachments

Love beer, too.

Reply 32 of 35, by McM4r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
biessea wrote on 2023-02-26, 08:58:
Anyway I tried to understand more about that software, and begin troubles. […]
Show full quote

Anyway I tried to understand more about that software, and begin troubles.

I cannot find a file to download.

In a youtube video I saw and tried to understand, but it seems really complicate.

You have to edit texts files, you have to know good what tests to do, I am completely discomforted now, it is too complicate to use.

And most importantly, I haven't found any site where download the program even for AMD/ATi cards.

Hi mate sorry for the delay in response, search in yt “how to test amd Radeon gpu ram memory” by learn electronics repair, in the description u will find the iso and scripts, the software is Linux based, I can confirm that even this software works with the X series agp gpus (tested on x1950 pro agp). Good luck 👍🏼

Reply 33 of 35, by RETROKOMODO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If there's any interest I did a video on AGP 3850 vs AGP 4670 recently - https://youtu.be/jdw5Su5kpRE

Motherboard: ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA (modded bios)
RAM: 4gb (3.25gb in XP) Kingston Hyper-X DDR2 at 4-4-4-12 timings
CPU: Core 2 E7600 at stock 3.06ghz

Reply 35 of 35, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are three (3) versions of HIS HD 4670 AGP card, all with GDDR3 memory.
First one with 1333MHz clock, second with 1600MHz, and last one with ~1750MHz clock.
1600MHz version I own isn't stable at 1750MHz.
PCIe HD 4670s gets 2GHz effective VRAM (GDDR4).
Also, there are a few less good versions of HD 4670 with DDR2 memory, with various memory speeds (up to 1200MHz IIRC).