VOGONS

Reply 20 of 48, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great choice, let us know what you think about it.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 21 of 48, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If You are still interested in a Voodoo 2 card, You can get them cheap here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STB-3dfx-Voodoo2-grap … UEAAOxyYANTa430

I have bought 2 from this seller, they both work perfectly and are in NEW condition.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 22 of 48, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ooook I think I got slightly screwed, the 3dfx Voodoo3 arrived, and, I'm having a bit of a hard time identifying the model, but it appears it might be a Voodoo3 2000 rather than a Voodoo3 3000.... crap.... will this be of any use for gaming?

B2pyv7V.jpg

guess I can't complain too much, as there were 3 sellers selling a 3dfx voodoo3 3000 locally, two of them asking for 30 euros, the third asking for only 13 euros, and I went for the cheapest, I do feel a bit crappy though, for not receiving what we agreed upon

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 23 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
God Of Gaming wrote:
ooook I think I got slightly screwed, the 3dfx Voodoo3 arrived, and, I'm having a bit of a hard time identifying the model, but […]
Show full quote

ooook I think I got slightly screwed, the 3dfx Voodoo3 arrived, and, I'm having a bit of a hard time identifying the model, but it appears it might be a Voodoo3 2000 rather than a Voodoo3 3000.... crap.... will this be of any use for gaming?

B2pyv7V.jpg

guess I can't complain too much, as there were 3 sellers selling a 3dfx voodoo3 3000 locally, two of them asking for 30 euros, the third asking for only 13 euros, and I went for the cheapest, I do feel a bit crappy though, for not receiving what we agreed upon

If in doubt, always ask for pics.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 48, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope so. I think I'll try to attach a small fan on the heatsink and see if I can overclock it a bit. Was busy earlier, will test it out in a moment.

offtopic: @kanecvr that E30 on your avatar yours? looks cleaner than mine, how much work did you put into it?

Reply 26 of 48, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is definitely not a 3000, those came with the larger silver-metallic heatsink. Not that there's much difference, if you got it that cheap just be happy about it 😉

Reply 27 of 48, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah, definitely a v3 2000

7W6ByTR.png

Half-life 1.0.0.9 Hazard Course seems to run fine though. But for some reason fraps doesn't work, it did with the asus radeon 9250 I had installed before the voodoo. What other program can I use for performance metrics, checking the framerate in particular?

Reply 28 of 48, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can always leverage titles with built in benchmarks. It won't be universal, but you can still test all three major APIs.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 29 of 48, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually fraps works, it was my mistake for not starting it manually before I launch the game, I was used to it starting automatically with windows on my main pc.Half-Life's Hazard Course seems to keep its 72 fps cap most of the time, but it often falls a bit below 60, at one point I saw it go as low as 43 fps. This is still not too bad though, it's playable enough I guess. Gotta check how Q3 and UT handle though, I think they might be more demanding than HL

Reply 30 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a Voodoo3 PCI being auctioned on ebay right now, so you could switch between AGP and PCI from BIOS. But the price has gone pretty high.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 32 of 48, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
God Of Gaming wrote:

I hope so. I think I'll try to attach a small fan on the heatsink and see if I can overclock it a bit. Was busy earlier, will test it out in a moment.

offtopic: @kanecvr that E30 on your avatar yours? looks cleaner than mine, how much work did you put into it?

..... I apologies in advance to the users not interested in cars and of course the moderators... but I can't help myself...

Piy1Gjem.jpg isTvbLFm.jpg A9LmFGlm.jpg V39mmDWm.jpg CdIKSpQm.jpg esIhLu6m.jpg 2RlTqNLm.jpg eRPmgbnm.jpg waWtFEWm.jpg UFWDuCVm.jpg 5nKsvU2m.jpg r2GmSjym.jpg TNbzLOBm.jpg wjvMMvMm.jpg E2KVQYRm.jpg gNPm1ofm.jpg 8OsxzXgm.jpg SUIpkasm.jpg D9gMY85m.jpg 8aWlohWm.jpg cSKhdP3m.jpg GgpIK3qm.jpg Dnw80Gzm.jpg 0oq6jOLm.jpg 68kFp2om.jpg 94ldLOCm.jpg

Reply 33 of 48, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Amazing work! One helluva job cleaning up that rust.

Did you go with an M50 or M52 block?

Reply 34 of 48, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Amazing work! One helluva job cleaning up that rust.

Thanks 😊

gdjacobs wrote:

Did you go with an M50 or M52 block?

M50B25 S1 out of a 1993 525i. It's engine management harness plugs directly into the E30's wiring harness and everything works w/o the need to cut wires and connectors. I would have liked to swap in the dual-vanos M52TU25 found in E46 cars (323i/328i) but the wiring was a pain in the ass (especially dealing with EWS) so I decided against it. I'm planning to stroke the engine to 3.0L by using the crank, rods and pistons (and possibly the cylinder head) out of a M54B30.

I had to swap because the car's original 2.7L modded ETA engine cracked a piston, bent a couple of valves and broke a rocker arm. Overall it was cheaper and more convenient to swap for the more reliable M50.

Reply 35 of 48, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suspect the M50 is a substantially better engine and worth the upgrade regardless of the condition of the original.

Reply 36 of 48, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

I suspect the M50 is a substantially better engine and worth the upgrade regardless of the condition of the original.

yes and no. The M20 had gobs more torque. My build was a 2.7 ETA with a high compression (12:1) 731 323i porterd and matched cylinder head, larger intake valve, double valve springs, 272deg camshaft, 9lb injectors, big bore throttle body and large M30 AFM. That thing put out ~200 rwhp @ 5800 rpm and a whopping 350nm of torque @ 3500 rpm. In contrast the M50 has a measly 240nm of torque all the way at 6000 rpm, and 192hp (when it was new). It feels... slow and lazy. It gets much much better mileage let me tell you, but that's partly because it doesn't make as much power as the M20 did. The M50 is a lot more reliable tough. It's MAF not AFM based so a vacuum leak won't stop it in it's tracks like what would happen to the M20.

I would have really like an M52TU with dual vanos like my 323cic has in it - those things become torque monsters simply by re-tuning the VANOS and swapping the green-top the injectors for the blue-top ones of the M52B28. Mine pulls abut 300nm of torque at 4000rpm and 171rwhp while still managing to maintain a decent 13.5 l / 100km city fuel consumption. Not bad for a 1.6 ton car. Now imagine the milage it would get on a 980kg e30 😀

Reply 37 of 48, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, didn't realize the old motor had so much work done on it. I would guess the new one will get similar attentions as time goes by. 😎

Reply 38 of 48, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lol, I wish I had the skills to do the same to my E30, it's currently in a rather sorry state:

http://i.imgur.com/OR9i5yy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LxkQ5Ka.jpg

It's pretty much factory stock and I'm only doing what's needed to keep it on the road, but it's already starting to give me some trouble, and some rust is starting to pop up... But I do like driving it and want to keep it.

Ontopic, noticed something interesting with the retro PC, it's supposed to pretty much have high-end year 2000 components, right? I tried running the leaked Serious Sam alpha build from 2000, and it ran horribly, barelly managing to reach 15-20 fps at 800x600. I wonder what kind of PC did CroTeam have when they were developing it 😁

Reply 39 of 48, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
God Of Gaming wrote:
Lol, I wish I had the skills to do the same to my E30, it's currently in a rather sorry state: […]
Show full quote

Lol, I wish I had the skills to do the same to my E30, it's currently in a rather sorry state:

http://i.imgur.com/OR9i5yy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LxkQ5Ka.jpg

It's pretty much factory stock and I'm only doing what's needed to keep it on the road, but it's already starting to give me some trouble, and some rust is starting to pop up... But I do like driving it and want to keep it.

Stock E30s ca be very good looking. From the pics I'd say yours just needs a new coat of paint. As for skill, working on cards has been one of my hobbies ever since I can remember. You learn skill by watching others and experimenting a little. It's pretty easy to rebuild a car once you know what everything does and where to find it. Rust and paint are tricky tough. I worked part time at an auto service (at their paint garage) so I could learn how to remove rust, prep and paint a car - just so I could get skilled enough to paint mine. In fact the picture with my car in primer is from that paint shop - I worked on it on my own with their tools and used their painting booth.

God Of Gaming wrote:

Ontopic, noticed something interesting with the retro PC, it's supposed to pretty much have high-end year 2000 components, right? I tried running the leaked Serious Sam alpha build from 2000, and it ran horribly, barelly managing to reach 15-20 fps at 800x600. I wonder what kind of PC did CroTeam have when they were developing it 😁

Serious sam is not a Voodoo 3 game really... I'd say a geforce 4 MX or a FX5200 is the minimum requirement for the game. I played it on a Radeon 8500 / Athlon XP 2000+ back in the day.