VOGONS

Reply 40 of 45, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
spiroyster wrote:

Have updated with VS6 compiled binary ppmgl.exe. Give it a whirl let me know.

So which sdk should be used for Voodoo2 and other 3dfx? o.0

Ok so I started it with

ppmgl test640.ppm

It runs in the top left corner. You can close it and move it around.

Attachments

• amarec(20170117-121551).PNG
    Filename
    amarec(20170117-121551).PNG
    File size
    1.07 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    ppmgl running (top left corner)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 41 of 45, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I guess that's some form of improvement. 😵

Try same command, but with '/fullscreen' switch. Should spit out a message box if it comes across a problem, which I'm assuming it doesn't? I'll put some more debug outputs in to get more detailed info on states to see what's going on, there may be a problem occurring that I'm not checking for. Older GL hardware certainly appears to be more temperamental.

What card are you trying this with? If its the voodoo, since it can't do windowed Glide? I'm guessing it can't do windowed GL, does a voodoo do windowed D3D?

Maybe also try with a later Geforce (or event ATi) or something to see if it does work with that at all in W2K/98 with something which may have better GL support. Really sorry about this, still haven't got my W2K system up and running and I need to set it all up again, needs a dust out, rebuild, W2K reinstall blah blah (ideally also using a pile of upgrades I have been collecting for it over the years).

I think I'll need to actually write and test on correct hardware for Voodoo stuff (I have everything, but time o.0) .

Reply 42 of 45, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think going forward I will just test with a GeForce as unpacking the Voodoo all the time is a bit of a pain 😁

I'll try the /fullscreen at the very next opportunity!

Well the Voodoo is 3D only, so the main card in this instance was a S3 Trio3D type of card.

AFAIK it cannot do anything windowed, just full-screen.

Do you have any Windows 98 compatible hardware? I can hook you up with the software and everything.

Reply 43 of 45, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes I have some voodoo, but I don't have a complete 98 system (and what I have is in even more than the W2K offering) 🙁.

I appreciate the Voodoo is 3D only, but since it only seems to kick in for fullscreen (i.e otherwise it simply passes the 2D image on to the display), I'm assuming it can only accelerate and display fullscreen. Otherwise it would have to hook into win information (namely window position, or which part of the frame the 2D draws, and which part of the frame the 3D is needed to draw) which I don't think it does (since the voodoo contribution in the pipeline to display the image is after the 2D display). I can imagine this being a much easier exercise for a graphics card that does both 2D and 3D since it would have full and fast control over the frame it draw entirely on a single PCB. 😀

If that is the case for Voodoo, then it makes sense that it can't do any windowed accelerated drawing (be it GL, Glide, D3D).

So that was on a GeForce?

Many thanks for the offer of the software, might have to take you up if I attempt to build a 98 machine. I'll add some more debug output to try and work out more of whats going wrong, and otherwise will try to find time to get a 98 machine working. Thinking about it, my W2K might not help much (I suspect it will work since its GL implementation is very good, its an SGI 😉), for me the object of this exercise is getting that GL code to work on older (limited texture mem) cards. It should work, in theory, but then again in practice .... 🤣

Reply 45 of 45, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is with /fullscreen 😊

Attachments