half life 1 and voodoo2

Topic actions

First post, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So hopefully a quick question.

Half life 1 isn't using my voodoo2 and is instead using the crappier card its connected to.

I've already tried some googling and downloaded the open gl driver which half life apparently already had. and i also tried wicked gl which i guess was supposed to patch the game. however , the game isn't even attempting to use the card.

PS. I'm in the unique position where my voodoo2 has a loose video connector and i can jiggle it and actually see if the card is in use or not. the screen will flicker when the card is in use and wont when it's just using the stock gpu. The card works fine in other games. it's just an easy way to know when it's working.

Reply 1 of 38, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Grab the latest MiniGL (or 1.47 if you have a K6 CPU) and drop it in the gldrv folder in Half-Life's directory.

Then, from the video options, select OpenGL and 3Dfx MiniGL. That should do it 😀.

Reply 3 of 38, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It should. There should be a listbox at the left that allows you to select a minidriver to use. Half-Life usually provides a sufficient enough MiniGL of its own for V1/V2

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 38, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

were did you get you copy of half life? newer copy's dropped voodoo 1/2 support.
that being said it been to long since I played the game and I cant recall how to switch to a voodoo 2.

Reply 5 of 38, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your options menu doesn't look like this, then you are doing something very wrong

Attachments

• 3dfxhere.png
    Filename
    3dfxhere.png
    File size
    122.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 38, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

were did you get you copy of half life? newer copy's dropped voodoo 1/2 support.

Good point.

Emosun, the retail CD should work just fine. I got mine off eBay last year for this very reason 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 38, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Emosun has a later version from the early Steam days, so that explains it.

I guess you could use something like 3dcc to allow you to play the game in D3D. With Windows, you can usually drop the appropriate DLLs into a game's directory (where the executable resides) to force it to run using a specific graphics card. So maybe you can try to drop OpenGL32.dll from the Voodoo2 drivers into HL's directory to force it to run with the V2 under OpenGL.

Reply 9 of 38, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

So maybe you can try to drop OpenGL32.dll from the Voodoo2 drivers into HL's directory to force it to run with the V2 under OpenGL.

Standard practice is to copy 3DFXVGL.DLL (usually in System32) into the same directory as the game's executable, and rename it to opengl32.dll.

Reply 10 of 38, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

So maybe you can try to drop OpenGL32.dll from the Voodoo2 drivers into HL's directory to force it to run with the V2 under OpenGL.

Standard practice is to copy 3DFXVGL.DLL (usually in System32) into the same directory as the game's executable, and rename it to opengl32.dll.

yea that definitely didnt work , it got stuck in an infinite error loop 🤣

Reply 11 of 38, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

easy way is to get the non steam copy of the game,

I don't remember exactly when I did this, but I think I used mesafx to play CS with a voodoo 2 many years ago, I'm not sure if it was 1.5 (non steam) or 1.6 (steam) I remember it being a huge boost to performance.

Reply 12 of 38, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd offer to make you an ISO of my retail Half-Life CD, but I don't know if that'd break any rules on the forum here. You clearly already have bought a copy of the game, so it's not like you're pirating anything. Mine works with my Voodoo2 cards just fine. In fact, all this talk about it...I'm gonna start it up right now (because I'm typing this post on my Windows 98 system right now! How about that?)

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 13 of 38, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FFXIhealer wrote:

I'd offer to make you an ISO of my retail Half-Life CD, but I don't know if that'd break any rules on the forum here. You clearly already have bought a copy of the game, so it's not like you're pirating anything. Mine works with my Voodoo2 cards just fine. In fact, all this talk about it...I'm gonna start it up right now (because I'm typing this post on my Windows 98 system right now! How about that?)

If you're going to make it available somewhere, I'd like that ISO as well. I own the Steam version of every Half-Life game ever made, but I don't have any non-Steam versions of the old stuff that would run on MiniGL-devices like my PowerVR.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 14 of 38, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't make an ISO, make a bin/cue image, otherwise he won't have the musics !

I've made an image of my game to some website, but I don't think mine will interest you because it's in french 🤣 (but it works perfectly).
But I took care to make a bin/cue image, like I said, in order to have musics

Last edited by Deksor on 2016-12-30, 20:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 16 of 38, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FFXIhealer wrote:

You clearly already have bought a copy of the game,

given the direct3d renderer is still present in the provided screenshot (which was removed from steam's Half-Life a few years ago during the linux porting), he did not.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 18 of 38, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Legal Half-Life reprezent!

LegalHalfLife.png
Filename
LegalHalfLife.png
File size
264.44 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Edit: oh crap... when I make a screenshot, the dropdown box closes, heh.
Edit2: But not if I use windowed mode, hah!

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 19 of 38, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just opened my copy of Half-Life Source on Steam and there's nowhere I can select a renderer. It just assumes you have DirectX now. It's using 9.0c.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png