VOGONS

First post, by SilverGreen93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I currently have an Acorp 5TX29 motherboard with a Pentium MMX 233MHz CPU and 256MB of RAM.
I use a S3 Trio64 video card with 2MB of RAM and I cannot get more than 1024x768x16 resolution and I also need more VRAM for some games. Will an Ati Rage XL 8MB PCI video card work with my setup?
More important, can I find drivers for Windows 3.11 and Windows 95? I understand that Windows 98 and above should be supported, but cannot find anything about 3.11/95.

Another side-question here> Can/Shoud I upgrade the CPU to an AMD K6-2 350 MHz? The motherboard seems to support K6-2 CPUs (never tested), but I don't know if it's worth it vs the MMX.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 11, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Rage has some 3D Support but isnt really fast, i would really suggest getting a better Solution.
Maybe a Voodoo Banshee, or a TNT1/TNT2 Card.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As for the CPU, it depends on what you're planning on using the system for. If it's strictly for DOS gaming, the PMMX might actually be superior (although the K6-2 ~450mhz will offer a bit more performance for titles like Duke3D at high res). Most DOS games don't require that much power, though.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tested an ATI Rage 128GL / Xpert 128 PCI in my DOS PC here:
More DOS PCI Benchmarks
Not sure if it's equivalent to the Rage XL PCI in DOS, but it's a start. BTW, the 128GL is very fast in DOS in my system.

Going from P233MMX->K6-2 350, what gdjacobs said. To expand a little, you should see noticeable improvement in SVGA games, like Screamer2, System Shock, Descent 2, and Duke3D. VGA games are already fast enough on the MMX that you won't feel any difference on the K6-2.

Here's some percentages:
3DBench: K6-2 350 is 69.5% faster than P233MMX
PCPbench 640: K6-2 350 is 41.1% faster
Doom: K6-2 350 is 14.8% faster
Quake 640: K6-2 is 9.6% faster
*results taken from Ultimate 686 Benchmark Comparison

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To expand on what I said about the PMMX possibly being superior for some DOS games, some PMMX chips as well as many classic Pentiums support additional tuning controls (via SETMUL) when running older, speed sensitive games.

Reply 5 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

To expand on what I said about the PMMX possibly being superior for some DOS games, some PMMX chips as well as many classic Pentiums support additional tuning controls (via SETMUL) when running older, speed sensitive games.

Cool. 😀

Reply 6 of 11, by SilverGreen93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for replies.
Unfortunately I cannot find a TNT card or Voodoo that is on PCI as I do not have an AGP slot. TNT would have been my first choice. Even if I find one, it would be much more expensive as a Rage one.
I found Ati rage XL at about 10-15$, the same as a K6-2/350

Reply 7 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since you want Win 3.11 compatibility and support for higher resolutions/color depths, an older card with more RAM might be in order. Something like a 4MB S3-something. I have a Virge 325 that came with 4MB and I paid around $10 for it. There are Win3.11 drivers available for it too.

Reply 8 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

Cool. 😀

Yeah. You know it better than most with your sick, sick POD MMX beast CPU.

Reply 9 of 11, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

256mb ram on that setup will only slow it down, that board can cache up to 64mb (and a p1 doesn't need more than that).

If you really want to use the 256mb you have to get a k6 cpu with it's own cache like a k6-2+, k6-3 or k6-3+.
Your board has to support the low voltages of the amd's and needs a bios update for the ''+'' cpu's in most cases.

The normal k6-2 does not have cache and will be slow with 256mb.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 11 of 11, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nvidia tnt2 has windows 3.x drivers too and offer decent performance.
Watch out for non-m64 Versions if you want Fun 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board