VOGONS

Windows 98 and SLI.

Topic actions

First post, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was curious if anyone was aware of anyone who had gotten SLI working in Windows 98. I'm referring to to later PCI-E nvidia cards as opposided to Voodoo2s which work easily. I ask because I have a couple Nforce based systems that I could potentially get Windows 98SE working on which support SLI and I also just happen to have a couple matching pairs of nVidia cards but they are really too low end to make for a good Windows XP system IMO. I have a pair of 6800s and a pair of 8600 GTs. i know 8600s aren't officially supported but I believe at least single cards work with a hacked driver.

Reply 1 of 23, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Forget about it.
I wasn't able to make a 7900 GX2 work @ 100% and it should be able to do SLI from the start (since it's MB independent SLI).

PS. My 8800 GTX did not worked on Win98SE moded system (outside VGA mode), even with moded/hacked drivers (I would get an error after restart).

157143230295.png

Reply 3 of 23, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both :
Modern SLI is a "no go", 8600 GT is probably* a "no go" or Win 98 SE.
Get a 7000 series GPU for that OS (7300 GT, 7600GS or GT, 7800 GT/GTX, 7900 GT/GTX).

*since you have a different GPU, hacked driver MAY work with it (still, I wouldn't count on that).

157143230295.png

Reply 4 of 23, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's NO SLI support in 98SE, period!
There's NO 8xxx series support in 98SE, period!

Only NVIDIA 7xxx series and below, both PCI-E and AGP are supported in 98SE, period!
8xxx series users Unified Shaders, there's NO drivers which support Unified Shaders GPUs in 98SE.
Note that the Radeon's best card for 98SE, the X850 XT PE, does not have Unified Shaders, so after they've introduced them, they gave up on 98SE GPU drivers. (Radeon X1xxx don't have Unified Shaders as well (introduced with HD2000 series)...maybe someone will hack the drivers so that X1xxx will work, THAT would be interesting...it's available in AGP as well!)

Reply 6 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty sure that 3Dfx SLI and Rage Fury MAXX are the only multi-GPU technologies compatible with Windows 98.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 7 of 23, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks everyone Disappointing. I had two matched pairs of SLI compatible cards a pair of 6800s and a pair of 8600s but I really don't think they are powerfull enough to warrant putting in a Windows XP machine. I might as well use a single 8800 GT or something even newer.

Reply 8 of 23, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rhuwyn wrote:

Thanks everyone Disappointing. I had two matched pairs of SLI compatible cards a pair of 6800s and a pair of 8600s but I really don't think they are powerfull enough to warrant putting in a Windows XP machine. I might as well use a single 8800 GT or something even newer.

Depends on what you want to do, for era correct 2004 SLI 6800GT's are beasts, now the 8600GT SLI well thats just worthless, in SLI they are almost as fast as an 8800GTS 320, meaning slower than an 8800GS

Reply 9 of 23, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

Depends on what you want to do, for era correct 2004 SLI 6800GT's are beasts, now the 8600GT SLI well thats just worthless, in SLI they are almost as fast as an 8800GTS 320, meaning slower than an 8800GS

I mean honestly. I just thought SLI on Windows 98 would be an interesting build, IF a hacked driver would work...a single 8600GT would be overkill for anything you would do on Windows 98 anyway so I figured why not just try and get the two of them to work...and if not a pair of 6800s would be cool too.

Reply 10 of 23, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh and another reason was because on impulse I bid on one of those shuttle barebones systems only this one happens to support SLI. It's a socket 939 system. Liked the idea of an extreme Windows 98 machine and SLI was just icing on the cake.

Reply 11 of 23, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SRQ wrote:

98SE barely supports PCI-E to begin with, SLi just ain't gonna happen.

98SE supports PCI-E quite well, just add the device id to the inf file! The best GPU you can run under 98SE is the 7900 GTX (512MB GPUs requires a paid patch though, 256MB do not), to have those record 98SE 3DMark scores!
Also, I've successfully ran VBEMP on my ASUS X75VB laptop, my old Lenovo IdeaPad Z510 laptop, and an AM2 build with GT 220, and HD 5670 GPUs! So clearly PCI-E works.
I was also capable of running UT99 with VBEMP using software rendering on that system!

As for SLI, 2x6800GT on XP is the best thing I would do if I were you. Doom 3,Far Cry, Half-Life 2, F.E.A.R. and many other games should run amazeballs on 1600x1200 with AA. (I think)

Reply 12 of 23, by shiozaki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So what is it about win98se that prevents sli?

If the gpus drivers and board all support it you'd think it would work, I found an I945p board that supports sli, quoted to work in xp, I was told I945p fully supports win98 I thought it would be worth trying, but maybe not ?

Reply 14 of 23, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I945p does not support win98. The latest Intel chipsets which do, is the I865 and I915.
And yes, even two normal GPUs under 98se causes problems, like in the mentioned thread above.
So no, no SLI under 98SE. Do not except a 1999 OS to do everything. Even I know its limits. And trust me, I tried some hardcore stuff on 98SE, like trying to run GTA IV (failed) and other newer games.
GPU drivers for 98SE do NOT support SLI. 98SE GPU drivers and XP drivers ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS! NVIDIA made the 98SE with its limitations in mind, I sure doubt NVIDIA would not know of 98SE's all features, they did what they could do, and in 2006 finally gave up with 82.69 drivers.

If there was SLI support, it would be huge news, and everyone would know it.

Reply 15 of 23, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i945 does work in Win98SE.. and there is a modded driver set for it.

SLI is NOT going to work in 98SE though, and the best video card is definitely going to be the 7900GTX.

I was hoping to get an 8800 Ultra (G80 series) working as the modded driver set for 98SE "supports" the 8800 Ultra.

It detects it, but then throws an error on bootup, even with a 4GB RAM patch.

The chipset drivers and video card drivers are available here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120512143841/ht … windows98.ic.cz

To get a 512MB card working in 98SE, you can either limit the amount of RAM via bsRAM9x or use a 4GB patch.

What I did was use bsRAM9x to limit the amount of RAM .. set up in autoexec.bat before installing Windows 98, then let it install, and then set up a 4GB patch and then disable bsRAM9x.

the 4GB patch I used was vmm98sed
Info here:
http://www.win98banter.com/showthread.php?t=52097

Download here:
https://www.freora.de/index.php?option=com_do … w+the+document.

The only bad thing about that RAM patch is that is makes the system throw an error on shutdown and then doesn't auto power off. Limiting the RAM with bsRAM9x is probably a better option.

I am going to be rehosting a lot of the stuff from the old Windows 98 unofficial support type pages in the near future since it has become very hard to find the stuff and pretty much none of the old pages are being maintained anymore.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

To get a 512MB card working in 98SE, you can either limit the amount of RAM via bsRAM9x or use a 4GB patch.

bs_ram9x has a very dubious reputation and you probably shouldn't be spreading it around. Himemx or xmsdisk would be preferable.
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158417-bs_ram9xexe/

Reply 17 of 23, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

bs_ram9x has a very dubious reputation and you probably shouldn't be spreading it around. Himemx or xmsdisk would be preferable.
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158417-bs_ram9xexe/

Well, maybe I will try Himemx then. That thread you linked to didn't really reveal anything "dubious", but it will be interesting to see if there is more free RAM in Windows with Himemx compared to bs_RAM9x

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 23, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

i945 does work in Win98SE.. and there is a modded driver set for it.

I'm talking about official INF null files, not the ones made by fans. I can even make INF null files for my ASUS X75VB laptop with the i5-3230M CPU, would you say that's compatible as well? 😀

Unless you're talking about something other than the useless INF null files, then I apologize.

cyclone3d wrote:
the 4GB patch I used was vmm98sed Info here: http://www.win98banter.com/showthread.php?t=52097 […]
Show full quote

the 4GB patch I used was vmm98sed
Info here:
http://www.win98banter.com/showthread.php?t=52097

Download here:
https://www.freora.de/index.php?option=com_do … w+the+document.

The only bad thing about that RAM patch is that is makes the system throw an error on shutdown and then doesn't auto power off. Limiting the RAM with bsRAM9x is probably a better option.

That's an illegally distributed german version of the VMM32.VXD file, patched with the paid R. Loew's patch. I know paying for 98SE is ridiculous at most, maybe if I somehow learn how to reverse engineer an 1999 OS, I'll make a patch of my own. It can be an interesting experience. There was a patcher that was available for a short while (G-VMM Patcher) but it was taken down, after MSFN fools and R. Loew found out about it. I've read about it enough.

Reply 19 of 23, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Years ago the geforce 6000 series were a no go for 98se, and 5000 was the last good one. After that, 6800 cards were working fine but 7000 series were a no go.
Now only 8000 and up are a no go and so is sli.

Pci-e can work with 98se, years ago people said it was not possible.....

What i'm trying to say is: It has not been done yet, but maybe it is possible?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1