VOGONS

First post, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With a Rendition V2200 AGP card in my machine, I was able to simultaneously use a Voodoo2 PCI card in the same machine, with the cable connecting the Renditions' output VGA port to the Voodoo's input port, and my monitor connected to the Voodoo's Output VGA port. I was thinking of upgrading to a Voodoo3 PCI card, but I see that it only has a VGA output port, no input port. Does this mean I won't be able to use the two in the same machine any more?

Reply 2 of 6, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Voodoo3 is a primary display device with a BIOS and everything so yes. You can probably switch between the two, motherboard bios permitting

OK, but I can't switch without rebooting & changing the setting in the BIOS (and obviously swapping the monitor cable around from 1 card to the other), like I can now with the voodoo2 card right?

Reply 3 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought that in those cases windows would allow you to use two monitors. This isn't the case ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 6, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows (not 95 or NT4, though) will indeed let you use 2 monitors, though some games get odd when you have multiple 3d-capable video cards. However, that combo should work fine.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 5 of 6, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alternatively, you can add a second Voodoo 2 in SLI. Might be trickier than just sourcing a V3, but you should get similar performance and still use all cards simultaneously.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 6, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

I thought that in those cases windows would allow you to use two monitors. This isn't the case ?

jade_angel wrote:

Windows (not 95 or NT4, though) will indeed let you use 2 monitors, though some games get odd when you have multiple 3d-capable video cards. However, that combo should work fine.

Unfortunately my only option is to use a single monitor. Looks like a Voodoo2 SLI it is then? I may be selling the Voodoo3 I just bought 😜