VOGONS

First post, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone
I recently acquired one of late socket 3 motherboards. Motherboard comes with AMD DX4-100Mhz CPU.
My plan is to build MS-DOS 6.22 or WIndows 3.11 system.
I'm not sure what brand of this motherboard is, what manufacturer made it at all.

2A0Negt.jpg?1

I will be grateful if someone could help me identify this motherboard

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 2 of 26, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you don't care about period correctness, the TNT2 M64 PCI is one of the fastest in DOS games, and very compatible with the era of games you'd be playing. Other fast, compatible PCI options are S3 Virge/DX/GX, and CL-GD5446. Another fast, non-period-correct option is Voodoo3 or Banshee PCI.

If you intend to do Win3.1, keep in mind that the newer cards probably won't have Win3.1 drivers.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 26, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's the selection of graphics I mentioned for this system:

ATI Mach64 ISA

7t5YKQ5.jpg?1

Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM PCI (S3 Trio64)

oRhoqVu.jpg

Diamond Stealth VRAM ISA (first card of Diamond Stealth line I presume)

74tmV3m.jpg

Matrox Ultima PCI (IS-ATLAS R1)

mNVX2O8.jpg

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 4 of 26, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am condemned to choose between thos graphics, I'm affraid.
This must be graphics supported in MS DOS of course, better to stick with that era period. No big difference like Voodoo 3.
I have to choose between this four graphics as I have no other close to that era.
What would you suggest and why?
Will be nice to pick graphics that have support for various MS-DOS games and other multimedia stuff
EDIT: Diamond Stealth VRAM ISA looks nice to me.
What is most valuable card in this collection?
What do you think?

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 5 of 26, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trio64 is the best choice IMO. You want PCI, and between that and the Matrox Ultima, the S3 is faster and more compatible.

Reply 6 of 26, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Both cards are equipped with S3 chip, both from Diamond Multimedia. What about Stealth VRAM? I heard that MS-DOS likes VRAM, Windows like DRAM

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 7 of 26, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The PCI version is the one you want. Not the ISA. The increase in bus speed will more than offset any difference between VRAM and DRAM.

Reply 8 of 26, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a beauty that motherboard, made by Intel judging by the Lay-out. Photo is a bit unsharp to see all details (prints on the chips etc).

For a Graphics card my choice would be the PCI S3, like clueless said it will blow away the ISA cards who are hampered by the ISA bus limit.
If you may find a cheap isa Cirrus Logic then that is a good choice too seeing how compatible they are overall. 😀

Reply 9 of 26, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another decent choice, if you can find one, might be a PCI Rage 128 or Radeon (Standard, DDR, 7500 or VE, probably not a later one), though you may have difficulty finding drivers for Win3.1 or OS/2. IIRC, Matrox made a PCI G400 also, which might be a good call, though apparently the G400 has some weirdnesses in some DOS games (Commander Keen?)

Of the cards you showed, the PCI S3 Trio would be my top choice by far. PCI > ISA for graphics, unless you're comparing a screamer of an ISA chip (ET4000, etc) against a stinkerino of a PCI chip (Trident 9680, say), and even then, the PCI card might still have the edge.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 10 of 26, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, I realise that cards are from years:
Matrox Ultima-> 1993
S3 Diamond Stealth64 PCI -> 1994
ATI Mach64 ISA 1994
Diamond Stealth VRAM ISA 1992

I would be correct to choose Diamond Stealth (S3 Trio64) as you wrote, DX4 CPU have been released in 1994 too.
Let me do some more hires pictures of motherboard itself

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 11 of 26, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My personal picks for a system such as that are:

- S3 Trio64v+
- Cirrus Logic 5446
- S3 Virge 325

All with at least 2mb of ram. Nice board by the way. Never seen a layout quite like that.

EDIT:
Love the layout even more. You can have at least 1 full length PCI and 3 ull length ISA cards
in a system, using that board.

Last edited by brostenen on 2017-01-13, 18:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12 of 26, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Go with the PCI S3. The improvement of PCI over ISA alone is going to be more significant than any other thing in this case. The DRAM vs VRAM thing doesn't really matter too much. Besides, if I remember correctly DRAM performs slightly better than VRAM in DOS (while the opposite holds true for Windows).

Maybe the Matrox could be a good option too, but you're definitely going to have less compatibility issues with the S3.

EDIT: interesting board you got there. The Intel chipset (not that common in the 486 era) and the auxiliary PCI power connector lead me to think that it may be an Intel board, maybe made for some OEM.

Reply 13 of 26, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And do not forget, that a lot of ISA cards, produce vertical spaghetti lines on a TFT screen.
This however is not really an issue on CRT screens. Or using PCI cards on a TFT.
Out of all PCI cards that I have tried and tested, I had only had issues with an CL-5440 on TFT screens.
Another good advice is to check the VGA compatibility chart, as mentioned so many times before.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14 of 26, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
And do not forget, that a lot of ISA cards, produce vertical spaghetti lines on a TFT screen. This however is not really an issu […]
Show full quote

And do not forget, that a lot of ISA cards, produce vertical spaghetti lines on a TFT screen.
This however is not really an issue on CRT screens. Or using PCI cards on a TFT.
Out of all PCI cards that I have tried and tested, I had only had issues with an CL-5440 on TFT screens.
Another good advice is to check the VGA compatibility chart, as mentioned so many times before.

Hehe spaghetti:) I got with Matrox on TFT, I know what you mean, other cards are fine 😀
High resolution pictures of the motherboard comming very soon!

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 15 of 26, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

front layout of the motherboard:
http://imgur.com/Jb18hpL
and back of the motherboard:
http://imgur.com/Ul6wEC6
Edit: I don't know wat is manufacturer of this motherboard. Looks nice to me too, look at the photos again you will find sort of blue wires. I'm not sure what's this, kind of modifications, or motherboard have been fixed?
Edit2: I also plan to put Mozart Wave-Table ISA audio card with true Yamaha OPL 😀
Like here :
mozart_wave_table_with_OPL4.jpg

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 16 of 26, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jade_angel wrote:

PCI > ISA for graphics, unless you're comparing a screamer of an ISA chip (ET4000, etc) against a stinkerino of a PCI chip (Trident 9680, say)

Are you seriously comparing a isa card to a 64 bit pci card like that trident? (even when that chip usually came with 32 bit dram).
The s3 trio64 would be my choice as well (obviously).

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 18 of 26, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dondiego wrote:
jade_angel wrote:

PCI > ISA for graphics, unless you're comparing a screamer of an ISA chip (ET4000, etc) against a stinkerino of a PCI chip (Trident 9680, say)

Are you seriously comparing a isa card to a 64 bit pci card like that trident? (even when that chip usually came with 32 bit dram).
The s3 trio64 would be my choice as well (obviously).

I will go with s3 trio64 then, I realised that is best choice from all cards I have

5xv2YSm.png

Reply 19 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this your board?

Nvm1 wrote:

It's a beauty that motherboard alright, made by Intel judging by the Lay-out. Photo is a bit unsharp to see all details (prints on the chips etc).

For a Graphics card my choice would be the PCI S3, like clueless said it will blow away the ISA cards who are hampered by the ISA bus limit.
If you may find a cheap isa Cirrus Logic then that is a good choice too seeing how compatible they are overall. 😀

Looks like an Intel board, looking at the pacement of the ISA and PCI slots.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!