VOGONS

First post, by ENunn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Compaq Presario 5000 US is kinda poopy when playing games. It has a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4. I upgraded the video card to a GeForce FX 5900 XT (originally it was an FX 5200). I'm not sure if its either a CPU or GPU bottleneck OR the computer is just slow. I might swap out the hard drive and reinstall Windows.

Full specs:
Full specs:
Intel Pentium 4 @ 1.6 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900XT (originally an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200)
Compaq 0785h Motherboard
128 MB Video Memory
512 MB DDR RAM (two 256 MB 200 MHz sticks)
WDC WD800AB-60CBA0b 74.53 GB IDE Hard Drive

3dMark2001 benchmarks are OK...I think. Not sure.

Here's a video of the benchmark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sBrEY79ZE4

Could it just be a bottleneck or is it just a slow computer?

the

Reply 7 of 22, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Using very high AA could make this card useful, but a better CPU would still be something I recommend.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Pentium 4s are basically useless below 2.4GHz or so.

It may be interesting if it's a s423 with Rambus though.
Not very efficient, but still interesting in a way.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 22, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

not sure about the first, but the P4 1.6GHz Northwood was a thing and it was very popular for OC, I never heard of anyone failing to reach 2.4GHz with it.

P4 1.6GHz is more Geforce 3 ti territory than Geforce FX, but it all depends on what you expect, if you are going to run older games at very high res it might be a solid choice,

Reply 13 of 22, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SPBHM wrote:

not sure about the first, but the P4 1.6GHz Northwood was a thing and it was very popular for OC, I never heard of anyone failing to reach 2.4GHz with it.

P4 1.6GHz is more Geforce 3 ti territory than Geforce FX, but it all depends on what you expect, if you are going to run older games at very high res it might be a solid choice,

Based on that Youtube video showing 3DMark performance, I'm guessing it's a Willamette. 😜

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 15 of 22, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote:
SPBHM wrote:

Based on that Youtube video showing 3DMark performance, I'm guessing it's a Willamette. 😜

Probably, i could crank around 8700 3DMarks using an 1.5 Ghz P4 Willamette, RAMBUS and a Geforce 7600GT AGP

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 16 of 22, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a 5000 series myself with a 1.6 P4. I have a hard time not having at least dual cores for Windows XP and newer. This system is dirt slow with all the updates. I am thinking of just putting a Geforce 2 MX in it and selling it as a High end Windows 98 or 2000 machine. Anything newer then a Geforce 3 or a Geforce 4 MX would be a complete waste.

Reply 18 of 22, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

The cpu will definitely hold the card back. How much of a bottleneck you see depends on what your doing.

If your playing a have like quake3 or ut99 and older it will be fine.
Try to play a newer game like doom 3 then your have problems

Reply 19 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rhuwyn wrote:

I've got a 5000 series myself with a 1.6 P4. I have a hard time not having at least dual cores for Windows XP and newer. This system is dirt slow with all the updates. I am thinking of just putting a Geforce 2 MX in it and selling it as a High end Windows 98 or 2000 machine. Anything newer then a Geforce 3 or a Geforce 4 MX would be a complete waste.

For older rigs running with XP I typically don't bother going beyond, say, SP2 and often I'll use a slipstreamed version which is tweaked for better performance on slower rigs.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!