VOGONS

First post, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone! I can really use some help with this card. So far I can get it to display video, but no matter how much I search I can't find a user's guide/manual. Without a manual I'm not sure where to go from here. I've downloaded drivers for it and looked for user guides in the disks, but there's only addendums to the user's guide. I'm going to lay out 5 sections that correspond to the 5 pictures, ultimately I need help properly identifying exactly which Mach32 card this is, and I either need to find the user's manual or figure out how to get it running properly somehow without the manual. If anyone has manuals for this that aren't included in the driver disks already, or if anyone has a guide on how to install this, please respond. This is my second thread about this card, for a little background here's the old thread. Found an ATI Mach32 ISA, I'm in the weeds! Need help.

1) I know it's a Mach32 and that it's a model that has a VGA port and a mouse port, beyond that, the numbers on the chips don't seem to match anything I can find online. I see a few variants of this card, the Graphics Ultra Pro, the Graphics Ultra, the Graphics Wonder, and similar. But none seem to match it exactly.

2) This row of 8 swtiches is labeled "AMP 9315 435802-9", I think this has to do with IRQ settings but without the manual I have no idea how to configure this switch. If anyone has documentation on this, please respond.

3) The mach32 chip itself, labeled (I haven't been able to match this to the brand name of the unit yet)

CF64989BPPA 980
V 00049 9402

4) These interesting looking chips are labeled (No clue what these are, would love info)

ISA MACH32(AM)
112-18919-100
ODD (C) 1993

and

ISA MACH32(AM)
112-18919-100
EVEN (C) 1993

5) Another large chip with a label

ATI68875
BFN
9348BN

01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license
03.jpg
Filename
03.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license
04.jpg
Filename
04.jpg
File size
2.18 MiB
Views
File license
05.jpg
Filename
05.jpg
File size
2.47 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 1 of 21, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mouse port? 🤣

That's actually S-Video, a display connector for some TVs and even some monitors.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 2 of 21, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cj_reha wrote:

Mouse port? 🤣

That's actually S-Video, a display connector for some TVs and even some monitors.

I could be wrong but I think it's a bus mouse connector. They mention it in the documentation that I do happen to have.

From a document I found online "1992 || 109-00189-40 (ISA),109-23000-10 (PCI) || Graphics Ultra Pro || ISA,EISA,MCA,VLB,PCI || 1 or 2MB VRAM || ATI68875 || 1280x1024x256, 1024x768x64K, 800x600x16.7M || Analogue VGA/SVGA, bus mouse (ISA,VLB) || Similar to a Mach8 with integrated VGA and support for higher colour depths || 225px|center|frameless|Mach32 PCI(VRAM)"

Here's a close up picture:

IMG_20170115_175401566.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170115_175401566.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 4 of 21, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
peklop wrote:

Jumper settings:
http://th99.classic-computing.de/src/v/A-B/50040.htm

Is it same connector as Microsoft InPorte bus mouse?

Hey man a thousand thanks for that link, however... I have no idea what the "Address" section means. So I can now change it, but no clue what changing it means. haha. Any advice? My main concern is that when I run a test on the mach32 it says "irq jumper not set or irq conflic" or something of that nature. Am I on the right track?

Also if the switch is up is the on? Or off? 🤣

Also, I think I have one of those mice, if you give me a bit I'll dig it out of the box and plug it in!

Reply 5 of 21, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was about to post jumper settings and mate, it says on the dip switch where OFF position is 😀

Even and odd chips are the BIOS EPROMs, BIOS image itself is divided into two images which consists of even and odd address values from original image, it was done in order to form a 16 bit data bus for the card as each EPROM is only 8 bit wide.

The big chip, which you labeled 5, is a ramdac.

BIOS address settings lets you chose where video bios will be stored in your RAM, just set it to C8000h as it is typically reserved for video bios.

Reply 6 of 21, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SSTV2 wrote:
Was about to post jumper settings and mate, it says on the dip switch where OFF position is :happy: […]
Show full quote

Was about to post jumper settings and mate, it says on the dip switch where OFF position is 😀

Even and odd chips are the BIOS EPROMs, BIOS image itself is divided into two images which consists of even and odd address values from original image, it was done in order to form a 16 bit data bus for the card as each EPROM is only 8 bit wide.

The big chip, which you labeled 5, is a ramdac.

BIOS address settings lets you chose where video bios will be stored in your RAM, just set it to C8000h as it is typically reserved for video bios.

Great info dude, I just finished trying every combination of switch settings based on the link you provided, and I tried them in reverse in the event that I had on and off reversed on accident. Interestingly, the only combination that works is when all switches are pushed up (off I think). Every combo fails to display video. So far I'm working on a totally clean install of DOS 6.22, I've installed drivers for the card as well. Still getting the IRQ error message.

Reply 7 of 21, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What was the MS-DOS performance of this card/Mach32 chipset?

I seem to recall this is the same card I ordered from a local reseller and it had TERRIBLE Doom/Quake performance, but I'm quite possibly very wrong.

Reply 8 of 21, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How is this card NOT a Graphics Ultra Pro? Looks like one to me.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 21, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenerb wrote:

What was the MS-DOS performance of this card/Mach32 chipset?

I seem to recall this is the same card I ordered from a local reseller and it had TERRIBLE Doom/Quake performance, but I'm quite possibly very wrong.

I'm new to DOS graphics entirely, this is my first card. It's going in a Packard Bell PB650CD (486sx 8mb ram, soundblaster). I imagine it's better than what I had, and I found it for .99 cents at Salvation Army.

Anyway, the idea of drivers seems to be different with this card. It's talking about drivers for specific programs, not an overall graphics driver. Does every single program need its own graphics drive to work with this card? What if I installed this card and started playing a DOS game, am I getting a benefit just because I plugged it in or do I need a driver for the game? I'm very confused by all of this coming from a modern PC background.

Reply 10 of 21, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

How is this card NOT a Graphics Ultra Pro? Looks like one to me.

I'm starting to think it is a Graphics Ultra Pro, I've been trying to match it all day. But even though I know it's a Graphics Ultra Pro, I still have no idea how to install it or use it with DOS and DOS games.

Reply 11 of 21, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you got the card working and you intend to play DOS games with it, you shouldn't need any drivers for standard VGA-mode games (300x200). Just try loading a game and see what happens.

In case you want to play games in SVGA resolutions (such as 640x480) you might need to load a resident program such as UNIVBE before starting the game, but chances are that an ISA card on an SX just won't do well for those later "high-resolution" games.

Reply 12 of 21, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote:

If you got the card working and you intend to play DOS games with it, you shouldn't need any drivers for standard VGA-mode games (300x200). Just try loading a game and see what happens.

In case you want to play games in SVGA resolutions (such as 640x480) you might need to load a resident program such as UNIVBE before starting the game, but chances are that an ISA card on an SX just won't do well for those later "high-resolution" games.

Interesting. So, I disabled my mach32 and switched back to my motherboard's onboard VGA... I actually lost frames per second. SO on the graphics card I got 24.4 FPS in Superscape Benchmark. Without the card at all I got 30.1 FPS. This is very odd. This is without any software installed besides DOS, no drivers, no utility, nothing at all.

Reply 13 of 21, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Sold one of those cards aways back with the original manuals and drivers. It's a mouse port and not a tv out

And it looked like a ultra pro

Reply 14 of 21, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not surprising that the integrated VGA is faster in DOS. Most (if not all) VRAM based cards are slower to some degree in DOS than their DRAM counterparts. I would only use the Mach32 if you plan on running windows. BTW, do you know if your integrated graphics use local bus?

Also, the round connector on the card is a bus mouse port. It should be compatible with the microsoft type. I don't think an S-Video cable would physically fit in there even if you tried.

Reply 15 of 21, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Not surprising that the integrated VGA is faster in DOS. Most (if not all) VRAM based cards are slower to some degree in DOS than their DRAM counterparts. I would only use the Mach32 if you plan on running windows. BTW, do you know if your integrated graphics use local bus?

Also, the round connector on the card is a bus mouse port. It should be compatible with the microsoft type. I don't think an S-Video cable would physically fit in there even if you tried.

IMG_20170112_234455233.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170112_234455233.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license

No clue if it's using local bus, no clue what that even means. There's a picture of the machine, it's a Packard Bell PB650CD (486sx 50mhz). How can I check if my motherboard graphics are using local bus? And what's the significance of that?

Reply 16 of 21, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ISA bus (what your Mach32 uses) runs at 8MHz. Local bus allows peripherals to run at the same speed the CPU talks to memory, in your case 25MHz (because your CPU is clock doubled). Local bus has the potential to be several times faster than ISA. Because your graphics adapter is integrated, you'd have to read the manual to find out if it uses local bus...maybe there are utilities that can tell?

Reply 17 of 21, by elCheapoDeluxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I suspect the integrated graphics might be on a local bus. I personally wouldn't bother with an ISA graphics card in a 486. If you want performance you need a motherboard with VLB or the rare PCI slot. If you don't want performance, why bother with add-in cards at all?

I will also say that the VLB Mach 32 gave me all sorts of grief when I tried one last year. Swapped out for an Orchid Kelvin 64 and it was WAY faster than the Mach 32.

Reply 18 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elCheapoDeluxe wrote:

If you don't want performance, why bother with add-in cards at all?

Just for the heck of it? 🤣
And things like compatibility or certain features may also be a reason to do so.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 21, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/A … -ULTRA-PRO.html - Jumper settings - just in case somebody will search for them.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300