PCI Graphics Roundup - DOS

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 46, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

To reduce any CPU bottlenecking and see how these cards perform with more processing power, I tested all these cards in a Pentium III 933Mhz system.

Reducing the CPU and System Bus bottlenecks is not easy. They are likely to remain the major factor in DOS Vesa Mode framerates. Have you considered this?: Benchmark examples

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 21 of 46, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

To reduce any CPU bottlenecking and see how these cards perform with more processing power, I tested all these cards in a Pentium III 933Mhz system.

Reducing the CPU and System Bus bottlenecks is not easy. They are likely to remain the major factor in DOS Vesa Mode framerates. Have you considered this?: Benchmark examples

If you mean higher FSB/PCI speeds and write combining, yeah, I have. I don't have a system with overclockable FSB/PCI. And I didn't feel write combining was appropriate since I am approaching this from a pure DOS point of view (as opposed to a Win9x/DOS mixed system where you're more likely to use write combining). From my perspective, Introducing write-combining will make any comparisons to the 100 and 200 Mhz results invalid. But it would still be neat to see those results separately, as standalone results. 😀 Might be something to add to the thread later.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 22 of 46, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK no problem.
The compatibility notes are great info, just don't know yet how to value the framerates.
It ain't easy like Windows + Accellerated 3D graphics benchmarks.

For VGA 320x200 on anything Pentium and above, It hardly matters what card one uses. First it is the CPU that is holding things back, but when the CPU is fast enough framerate gets above 60FPS and then it doesn't matter anymore.

VESA modes: a K6-2 (stepping 8+) or Pentium II allows LFB write combining so you can get double the framerate at the cost of one line in your autoexec.bat. Like, why would anyone not want to use this free power? And it kinda shows how CPU and BUS bottlenecked all of this is. Because the videocards give double the framerate by just changing a CPU feature, not a videocard feature.

So I am looking at your result tables and wonder which differences are significant for the videocard, which are irrelevant and which are bottlenecked elsewhere...

Personally I tend to use Voodoo 3 and nVidia cards in all my retro systems (except, of course, on the 486 VLB which has a cirrus logic)

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 23 of 46, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

VESA modes: a K6-2 (stepping 8+) or Pentium II allows LFB write combining so you can get double the framerate at the cost of one line in your autoexec.bat. Like, why would anyone not want to use this free power? And it kinda shows how CPU and BUS bottlenecked all of this is. Because the videocards give double the framerate by just changing a CPU feature, not a videocard feature.

So I am looking at your result tables and wonder which differences are significant for the videocard, which are irrelevant and which are bottlenecked elsewhere...

I'd say I'm targeting people with P233MMX and slower sytems, running pure DOS. Faster than that and most people are throwing Win9x into the mix. And in that case, most DOS games they'd be running can be run from the DOS prompt in Win. It's telling that the cards perform pretty consistently between the different cpu speeds (eg, the S3s finish in the same order), with the main difference being that the slower cards fall further behind the faster cards the faster the cpu. But I see where you're coming from, and this could be done from that perspective as well. Maybe with more interesting results to some people. 😀

Reply 24 of 46, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've always used write combining on Intel systems, but I wasn't aware of the K6-2 chips that support it. It was Elinda, AKA The Oracle, that showed me the ways 😊

The AMD Athlon also supports write combining. And then you can also get a boost with graphics card specific tools, for example that S3 VESA 2.0 tool boosts performance quite substantially.

But I really appreciate the work of clueless1 as they all are tested in the same environment. For future project ideas, it would be interesting if the ranking of these cards remain in a Slot 1 machine with write combining combined, or if some cards "write combine better" if you know what I mean.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 25 of 46, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a dead Number Nine Virge 325, so I pulled the BIOS chip and put it in my working (Fastware) Virge just for fun. Turns out it's slightly faster with the Number Nine BIOS than its own. If I had to guess, it has faster timings (the Number Nine had 40ns memory while the Fastware has 45ns). When I get time, I'll update the charts.

Reply 26 of 46, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have a Number nine reality 332 Virge 325,nice little card, it's installed in my Cyrix 5x86 100 Windows 95 system. It's a good bit faster than my generic virge 325, image quality is far better too, blacks are black unlike many other Virge 325 cards. Here is a pic of the generic one.
[img]

S3 ViRGE 325.JPG
Filename
S3 ViRGE 325.JPG
File size
808.45 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

[/img]

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 27 of 46, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey clueless1, are you still looking to acquire any cards for your charts?

I've started doing some benchmarking with a mobo (w/ Pentium 90) that I keep around for newly acquired hardware testing. I've had an ARK2000PV (Diamond edition) card in a box that I've thought about putting in my main machine (P200MMX), and figured I would take it and a few others to do my own benchmark work. Maybe use some of the same stuff you do - although I haven't benched with Duke 3D or Descent II before. Did you have a certain path you would run or something while showing FPS?

My workbench monitor is LCD, and unfortunately that ARK2000PV has vertical banding on it. I imagine if I decide to go with the ARK and put it in an actual system (which uses a CRT), I won't have to worry. Still, that is too bad.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 28 of 46, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CkRtech wrote:

Hey clueless1, are you still looking to acquire any cards for your charts?

I've started doing some benchmarking with a mobo (w/ Pentium 90) that I keep around for newly acquired hardware testing. I've had an ARK2000PV (Diamond edition) card in a box that I've thought about putting in my main machine (P200MMX), and figured I would take it and a few others to do my own benchmark work. Maybe use some of the same stuff you do - although I haven't benched with Duke 3D or Descent II before. Did you have a certain path you would run or something while showing FPS?

My workbench monitor is LCD, and unfortunately that ARK2000PV has vertical banding on it. I imagine if I decide to go with the ARK and put it in an actual system (which uses a CRT), I won't have to worry. Still, that is too bad.

Yeah, I still have my eyes out for a couple of other PCI graphics chipsets, but not spending any money for them, so the odds of finding them for free are pretty low. 😊

There's really no repeatable way to get in-game framerates for Duke and Descent II except to start a new game and measure the standing FPS, which is how I do it. In Duke, start a game, type DNRATE to bring up the frame counter, then hit ESC, start a new game again, wait for the rocket to crash and the framerate to settle before taking the result. Same idea in Descent II, except the code to access the frame counter is FRAMETIME.

Reply 29 of 46, by jamesp15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope im not stepping on any toes here, but I have a bunch of PCI and early AGP cards benchmarked using the Phils Computer Lab DOSBENCH package, I can post some results if you need more. I did them all on a P3-933 on an i815EP motherboard with 256mb RAM and Win98SE/DOS6.22 (Similar to the specs in your second post?) Someone asked about a Cirrus 5464 and here are the results I got on that system:

Cirrus Logic CL-GD5464 4MB RAMBUS PCI

Option 2: 167.7 (3DBench 1.0c for Faster PC's)
Option 4: 52.8"score" / 31.6FPS (Chris's 3D Benchmark 640x480)
Option 6: 14.4FPS (PC Player Benchmark 640x480)
Option B: 66.5 (Doom Max Details) (1123 realticks, i think the formula is FPS=74690/realticks (which was 1123)?
Option C: 93.2FPS (Quake 320x200)
Option E: 11.5FPS (Quake 648x480)

For Grins in Win98SE, Final Reality 1.01: 2.76 "score"
3Dmark99 and 2000SE wouldnt run with it.

Results put it among the slowest of all the cards I tested so far.

(edited for Typos)

Reply 30 of 46, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How do you tell the difference by visual inspection if the ATI Rage 128 GL is for Mac or PC? I almost never see anyone with the PC version of the 128 GL PCI. What does that sticker on the BIOS say? Is that what gives it away?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 31 of 46, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

How do you tell the difference by visual inspection if the ATI Rage 128 GL is for Mac or PC? I almost never see anyone with the PC version of the 128 GL PCI. What does that sticker on the BIOS say? Is that what gives it away?

Honestly, when I found this card, I had no idea there was also a Mac version. So I'm not sure how to tell the difference. But here are a couple of photos that may help you.

rage128gl_top.jpg
Filename
rage128gl_top.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license
rage128gl_bot.jpg
Filename
rage128gl_bot.jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 34 of 46, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote:

I wonder if a full 128-bit RAM TNT2 (non M64 or Vanta) would be significantly faster . Do they exist in PCI variants ?

I don't think it would be any faster. I've also tested (not shown here) AGP cards in DOS and the TNT, TNT2 M64, and GF3 Ti200 all perform about the same. When you get to GF4 and GF5, DOS performance starts to go down. And of course, AGP is faster than the same card in PCI. So you get about the same DOS performance from TNT to GF3.

Reply 35 of 46, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought me a Hercules Stingray 64 with ARK2000PV based on the tests here. Its the 2MB Version and i run it with the latest P200 MMX.
I also did a quick quake bench on VGA with result of 42.0 FPS. Very happy with the GPU, many thanks for your testing guys!

image.jpg
Filename
image.jpg
File size
1.46 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 36 of 46, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also did a quick quake bench on VGA with result of 42.0 FPS

That's a bit too slow even with sound. Which motherboard?

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 37 of 46, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

really? Here is my MB: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/A … um-MS-5146.html
i used the quake 640x480 bench from dosbench (so without sound). But after the bench i checked the resolution of the demo in the options and it say 320x200. What is the best way to do a quake bench? is there a console command or something?

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 38 of 46, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, SIS boards. Then it's correct probably, they're slower than Intel.

is there a console command or something?

Timedemo demo1

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 39 of 46, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the reason for Quake running on PIII 933 to produce less FPS even at 640x480?

What is best way to get Quake to have better frame rate, not the hard ware listed here for "PCI graphics round up - dos"?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.