VOGONS

First post, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-L_m6QA3A8

A german friend of mine found this recently, one of his german game magazines highlighted it yesterday. I'm just sharing it here because I find it mildly interesting.. some of you voodoo lovers on here may find it interesting.

I don't know who the youtube person is, just some random video.

But it's a voodoo5 5500 running windows 10 and doing a benchmark. I don't even know how they managed to get drivers for this thing to work with it in Direct3D mode.

Reply 2 of 9, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SPBHM wrote:

it looks like he didn't install drivers and it's running the generic MS drivers (which are emulating stuff on the CPU)

That's what I thought.. but surely the MS drivers for windows 10 couldn't support full screen Direct3D mode for an old card like this, could it?

Reply 3 of 9, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
SPBHM wrote:

it looks like he didn't install drivers and it's running the generic MS drivers (which are emulating stuff on the CPU)

That's what I thought.. but surely the MS drivers for windows 10 couldn't support full screen Direct3D mode for an old card like this, could it?

I don't know specifically, but it's possible if the CPU is doing the work, I've run a few DX9c games with very decent speed all on the CPU using SwiftShader

the description of the card on the 3dmarks says he is using the MS driver, so there is no 3DFX driver running so I don't see how it would be using the GPU properly.

I actually used my v4 4500 with the generic MS driver, but I didn't really try running games, it was just a quick motherboard test, but for the desktop it was running pretty OK,

Reply 4 of 9, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo 3/4/5 all works fine (D3D, OGL and Glide) in win7 32-bit, not sure about 64-bit. So it should work in win10 as well... after all it is still NT6 core.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 5 of 9, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

Voodoo 3/4/5 all works fine (D3D, OGL and Glide) in win7 32-bit, not sure about 64-bit. So it should work in win10 as well... after all it is still NT6 core.

win 7 32bit is very compatible with XP drivers, but after that it's all very difficult to achieve, with certificates and driver signatures required, I have some hardware that works well on win 7 32 (like my very old old capture card) with xp driver, but 64bit or win8+ it's basically impossible to get it working, I think for the Voodoo drivers is the same, so he using the Generic MS drivers that is used for any unsupported VGA.

Reply 6 of 9, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Weren't the specs for some parts of the Voodoo cards open, at least enough to write XFree86/Xorg drivers for them? If so, MS might have been able to reverse-engineer an accelerated driver from those, possibly. Wouldn't be great, but would be better than software rendering + VESA.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 7 of 9, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jade_angel wrote:

Weren't the specs for some parts of the Voodoo cards open, at least enough to write XFree86/Xorg drivers for them? If so, MS might have been able to reverse-engineer an accelerated driver from those, possibly. Wouldn't be great, but would be better than software rendering + VESA.

Sorry to burst your bubble but microshaft is hell-bent on alienating all older platforms with each new version of windows. No one at microsoft is going to officially write MS drivers for any 10+ year old video card even the default VGA drivers. If they work by some miracle it's not by microsoft's intention.

Reply 8 of 9, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SPBHM wrote:
kithylin wrote:
SPBHM wrote:

I don't know specifically, but it's possible if the CPU is doing the work, I've run a few DX9c games with very decent speed all on the CPU using SwiftShader

Wouldn't surprise me at all. New CPUs are surprisingly good at tackling graphics. I remember installing Win 8.1 on a spare drive a few years ago and assuming that the video driver had already been installed. Even at 1440p, all of the window and start screen animations were completely smooth. Took me a while to realize I forgot the graphics driver!

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 9 of 9, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

There is a driver for V3/4/5 for 64bit XP/Vista/7 and I tried it on Win7 64bit. You have to disable digital signature to get it installed, and I only tested Quake 3 Demo under windows 7. Not sure if Q3 was running with hardware acceleration or software simulation, though.