VOGONS

First post, by CodeFuApprentice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,
I've not posted here for a while, and i was hoping for an opinion if this looks as bad as i think it might be.
I was intending to reinstall my Voodoo 2 card which i've had since 1998/1999 and i thought i'd been pretty careful to not let it get damaged. Basically, I've noticed what looks like damage to the traces on one of the TMU chip. (I think thats what they're called)
(I'd previously installed heat sinks to the them, and even after i removed them, the card worked)
Because it's been such a long time, i can't fully remember if this card didn't appear to function, this might be why, could that short the card out?

I just wondered are these possible to salvage if it does look as bad as i'm thinking it does? I only ask as i've seen a few retro hardware enthusiasts on youtube.
It's not something i've tried doing myself.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Voodoo 2_Pic2.jpg
    Filename
    Voodoo 2_Pic2.jpg
    File size
    456.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Voodoo 2_Pic1.jpg
    Filename
    Voodoo 2_Pic1.jpg
    File size
    454.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

AMD K6-3 400 | Gigabyte GA-5AX R4.1 | 256MB PC-100 | 20GB Quantum Fireball LMPlus | Windows 98 SE
*Alternating between: Geforce 2 MX AGP or 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP. *Sound Blaster AWE-32 CT2760 or Turtle Beach Santa Cruz w/ Yamaha DB50XG.

Reply 1 of 8, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is a FBI chip, and such shorts are very common, just take a sharp syringe needle (not blade or any sewing needle) and start straightening pins from left to right by inserting needle between pins.

Reply 2 of 8, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't even need to really straighten them. Just take a thin blade like an X-Acto knife, and separate the pins. Don't do it too hard, you just want them not touching, and SMD legs can come off very easily, and once they do, it's game over.

Reply 3 of 8, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:

You don't even need to really straighten them. Just take a thin blade like an X-Acto knife, and separate the pins. Don't do it too hard, you just want them not touching, and SMD legs can come off very easily, and once they do, it's game over.

This is why you should never use any blades, Jesus...

Reply 4 of 8, by CodeFuApprentice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey thanks for replying.
I had a feeling it may have been shorting with those pins making contact.
While I do have a little bit of electronics knowledge, i didn't feel too comfortable about trying to remedy anything with such an intricate package, ie: the pins on that chip, as i'm always worried i'll end up breaking such an old piece of hardware. 🙁 that wouldn't be good

AMD K6-3 400 | Gigabyte GA-5AX R4.1 | 256MB PC-100 | 20GB Quantum Fireball LMPlus | Windows 98 SE
*Alternating between: Geforce 2 MX AGP or 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP. *Sound Blaster AWE-32 CT2760 or Turtle Beach Santa Cruz w/ Yamaha DB50XG.

Reply 6 of 8, by TheCoach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a similiar problem with my card but the short was on the TMU I believe, the card would not accept drivers. separated the legs and then it installed fine.
I'm getting memory corruption dots now though... they do tend to appear and dissapear according to angle you look at things at though and are not present in say Homeworld 3dfxgl mode

Reply 8 of 8, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I fix it exactly as sstv2 says: with a needle tip. It has that nice shape with which you can adjust them just enough to not touch.

My first try was with a blade but it was still too thick and a needle works better. Just be calm, patient and gentle.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1