VOGONS

First post, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found this the other day, I don't know how practical it is, but it's kind of neat to play with.

It's a program for Paradise graphics cards (and maybe others?) that will let you switch between different graphics modes in DOS (CGA/EGA/VGA/MDA/Herc/etc). If your card isn't supported, it will just give you an error message.

It was supposed to be included on some official utility disk, but I gave up trying to find that when I found a loose copy of the program on an FTP (here). The readme I included sounds like it comes from a newer version of the program (intended for Tandy computers?), but it's pretty close.

I only tried out a few different games with it, it got Space Quest I to run in monochrome Hercules mode just fine =) Infocom games ran in CGA mode, but unsurprisingly, Wolfenstein 3D just hangs.

Attachments

• Filename
    vga1024.zip
    File size
    14.3 KiB
    Downloads
    178 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just for clarification: this utility is intended for the Paradise VGA cards, specifically the "VGA 1024" model having the WD90C00 chipset.
Unfortunately it's very-very chipset dependent.

A similar utility for a card with the same chipset is also available at vogonsdrivers, it comes with the drivers disks of Prisma VGART 1024 card (category Graphics -> Other)

What's really neat about the utility Asaki posted is that you can set your card permanently to a mode, without loosing the setting after a reboot.

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting thread! I do have a floppy disk for a Paradise card, too. Is there any interest in it ?
- As far as I know, the PVGA1,1A,1B and WD90C00 are quite similar (speaking under correction).
It comes with several utilities and drivers for popular software from the 80s..
I do also have some VESA VBE 1.2 drivers floating around.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am pretty sure I have the same utility (called VGAMODE.EXE this time) for my WC90C33 cards, it even allows you to set a mode and reboot to that mode overriding the default vga one

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 5, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote:

Just for clarification: this utility is intended for the Paradise VGA cards, specifically the "VGA 1024" model having the WD90C00 chipset.
Unfortunately it's very-very chipset dependent.

I have a different chipset, and it still ran, so it's probably worth trying out.