VOGONS

First post, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, my 6800GT died...again. 🙁 Forcing me to revert back to the indestructible MX440.
It's passive, it still works after 14 years, and still has no Pixel Shaders 😀
With that, I became more obsessed not with 98SE hardcore rigs, but making a nice 98SE rig that is pretty much silent or close to it.

So, which card should I choose?
I can find in my country these cards:
-ATI Radeon 9200
-ATI Radeon 9250
-ATI Radeon 9600
-NVIDIA GeForce 6200

AFAIK, here's how they compare:
9250 is a under-clocked version of the 9200 by 10MHz on the core. Should it be overclocked easily above it with passive cooling? 9600 has an extra vertex shader and much higher clocks, but apart from that, nothing else. 6200 has two extra vertex shaders and has DDR2 memory. So it should be the most powerful? But it's the most expensive, while 9250 is the cheapest.
I'll be trying new games which push 98SE to the limit like Need for Speed: Carbon, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Far Cry 1, and old games like Knights and Merchants, UT99, Quake III Arena, Star Wars Racer and the like. Also DOS games inside Windows 98 session (no pure DOS).
I have a 1024x768 monitor, and won't be using higher resolutions.
I know I could put a silent fan on a better GPU, but that's not the point. 😀

Also, which CPU would go best with these cards? I want a CPU that has commonly and cheaply available silent fans. It can be a bit overkill if needed. And USB booting support like my current nForce3 s754 machine. I do not waste CD's.

Reply 1 of 11, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember Half-Life 2 was a pack-in with Radeon 9600 XT. That and Doom 3 are going to push a passive 98SE compatible card pretty hard. I would guess something like a Radeon X700 Pro or GeForce 6600 would be close to the top. Out of those listed, the 6200 is the way to go.

I guess you could go newer or more esoteric with the CPU choice, but what comes to my mind is a desktop compatible Barton core Athlon XP-M, a board with undervolting options and a giant heatsink.

Don't forget that high performance passively cooled parts depend on decent case fans.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 11, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Passively cooled Geforce 6xxx, 7xxx and 8xxx cards are likely to die within a few years. http://www.nvidiadefect.com/what-exactly-is-t … -defect-t3.html
Though the Geforce 6200 is generally an exception, that one is more sturdy / runs cooler.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 11, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So 6200 it is then? It's a cutie, just like the MX440. I won't be removing the heat sink, so it should not break.
As for the CPU, I found one for sell: AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ AXMH2500FQQ4C. Will it be good with 6200?

Now, which MoBo should I pick for this CPU? ASUS? ASRock? Other?

What cooler models?

What about dual channel support?

Reply 4 of 11, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrMateczko wrote:
So 6200 it is then? It's a cutie, just like the MX440. I won't be removing the heat sink, so it should not break. As for the CPU […]
Show full quote

So 6200 it is then? It's a cutie, just like the MX440. I won't be removing the heat sink, so it should not break.
As for the CPU, I found one for sell: AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ AXMH2500FQQ4C. Will it be good with 6200?

Now, which MoBo should I pick for this CPU? ASUS? ASRock? Other?

What cooler models?

What about dual channel support?

ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe very good motherboard for an athlon xp rig, Might as well grab a 3000+ or 3200+ and some nice DDR400

Reply 5 of 11, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, good to know, the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe is available here!
I think 2500+ is more than enough for me, and I couldn't find a better XP-M variant. Already have some DDR400. Now to find a quiet fan and good cooling for the CPU and I'm all set!

Will this cooler work fine? I found it for really cheap. http://prodatadesign.pl/allegro/EU/free-cu80- … 0117_192434.jpg

Reply 6 of 11, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would try and downclock a higher end version of a graphics series and passively cool it. Like for example a 9800pro/xt clocked way lower as normal and fit a big zalman like cooler.
It would still have the benefit of the extra pipes/shader/mem bandwidth/whatever and be faster than a low end model?

Maybe even edit a bios and lower the volts?

Iirc even a 7600gt could be passively cooled (with a big aftermarket Heatsink). It's WAY faster than a 6200.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 7 of 11, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This build will be for 98SE mostly, and 7xxx series under 98SE are only stable for 3DMark and not much else.

Looks like Sapphire made a passive 9800 Pro! That's interesting, and might be a new king for my build! And I found one for really cheap considering its the fricking 9800 Pro!

Well...seeing that, maybe I'll put a better XP CPU, and get the cooler I mentioned before. Should be sweet.

Reply 9 of 11, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to have this enormous thing called a Gainward Silent FX 5700.
It had huge red heat sinks on both sides connected by copper pipes, and no fan at all.

Google has pictures --> here <--

256MB video memory
AGP 8x, 4x, or 2x
Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, and XP

Reply 10 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are some AGP GF7600GS cards that are passive. I got 2 of different makes when they were new but they tended to overheat easily and I ended up shoehorning larger case fans to the heatsinks. And also there's the solder problem which these passive graphics cards may have fallen victim to due to the amount of heat these could possibly endure. Mine overheated even when using a well-enough ventilated case while (iirc) playing Unreal 2 campaign (I even remember it being some dark forest part when it locked up once?).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 11, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Side-note about passive GPUs - make sure the heatsink doesn't come anywhere near any capacitors on your motherboard. I've seen multiple capacitors on motherboards die from being too close to a heatsink, especially passive heatsinks, even with older hardware (I've got one machine with bad caps around the AGP slot with just an ATI Rage 128 Pro). If any capacitors are near, at the very least, glue something like mylar film so that it protects the capacitor from some of the heat. But of course... fans are better 😀

Yes, I always ramble this much.