VOGONS

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I have an IBM PC 365 with a PPro 200 MHz in it, and it works pretty much perfect, minus this issue I've had with two 3DFX Voodoo 1 cards. In Quake II for example, the game's textures artifact, causing multicolor blocky textures after about 10 minutes of gameplay, and the same for Quake 1. And I don't believe this to be a card issue, as this occurs with two Voodoo cards, a Diamond Monster, and a Orchid Righteous Voodoo, both with heatsinks on them. Could anyone help me out?

Edit: Think I posted this in the wrong section, should've been in video.

Reply 1 of 15, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check if your driver does not overclock the cards. It should be 50mhz but some cards can be clocked higher or lower by default.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 15, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

Check if your driver does not overclock the cards. It should be 50mhz but some cards can be clocked higher or lower by default.

I tried using the latest standard drivers (both), and the driver that came with the card (Orchid).

Reply 3 of 15, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try it in another board, see if it still happens. If it does it is a card problem.

Try different slots on the board.

Try different RAM on the board.

If all else fails, attempt to reflow the card, a makerspace may have a reflow oven you can use for a quick fiver.

Reply 4 of 15, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:
Try it in another board, see if it still happens. If it does it is a card problem. […]
Show full quote

Try it in another board, see if it still happens. If it does it is a card problem.

If all else fails, attempt to reflow the card, a makerspace may have a reflow oven you can use for a quick fiver.

Don't have any other boards to try it on at the time
Happens in all slots
Tried three different sticks of RAM
Don't have one near me

Again, these are two different cards.

Reply 5 of 15, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:
Don't have any other boards to try it on at the time Happens in all slots Tried three different sticks of RAM Don't have one nea […]
Show full quote
Ampera wrote:
Try it in another board, see if it still happens. If it does it is a card problem. […]
Show full quote

Happens in all slots
Don't have one near me

So you're telling me you do not own a single other motherboard with a PCI slot full stop?

Alright.

Reply 6 of 15, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:
Don't have any other boards to try it on at the time Happens in all slots Tried three different sticks of RAM Don't have one nea […]
Show full quote
Ampera wrote:
Show full quote

Happens in all slots
Don't have one near me

So you're telling me you do not own a single other motherboard with a PCI slot full stop?

Alright.

I don't have a slow enough Slot 2 CPU on me, and my P3 is 1.4 GHz, which is too fast.

Reply 7 of 15, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesn't matter at all. Just use it to test the cards themselves. Even though there are two, not likely they are bad does NOT mean not possible. If they are both good, it's something else.

Reply 8 of 15, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:

It doesn't matter at all. Just use it to test the cards themselves. Even though there are two, not likely they are bad does NOT mean not possible. If they are both good, it's something else.

They post fine and display fine, but the processors I have are literally too fast and games won't launch because of it.

Reply 11 of 15, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't get that. Tomb Raider refuses to run on a later Pentium 3? And posting doesn't matter, if it starts to artifact it could mean there is something wrong with the memory. I am unaware of any Voodoo memory testing utilities, but even they may be faulty if it's a wear issue as it would then only emerge after load.

I mean if your games aren't made well enough to run on a faster system, are you sure it's not the games bugging out?

Reply 12 of 15, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the same problem some time ago when doing benchmarks on all my voodoo's on a tualatin 1,4ghz (Asus Tusl2-c).
The voodoo1 cards (tried 4-5 or so from different brands) and rush cards didn't even display anything when launching a game.

That same system i'm still using with my voodoo5 and it is running fine. The voodoo's worked in much slower systems with no problems at all.

So yes, a fast system can give problems.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 13 of 15, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:

I don't get that. Tomb Raider refuses to run on a later Pentium 3? And posting doesn't matter, if it starts to artifact it could mean there is something wrong with the memory. I am unaware of any Voodoo memory testing utilities, but even they may be faulty if it's a wear issue as it would then only emerge after load.

I mean if your games aren't made well enough to run on a faster system, are you sure it's not the games bugging out?

What the guy above me says basically, the Voodoos aren't made to run in a fast system. I'll see if I can get it to work on the P2 board I haven't used in a year or so.

Reply 14 of 15, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrEWhite wrote:
Ampera wrote:

What the guy above me says basically, the Voodoos aren't made to run in a fast system. I'll see if I can get it to work on the P2 board I haven't used in a year or so.

Alright, I never knew that. The knowledge here is general PC Component knowledge, I've never even seen a 3DFX card irl