Advice for gfx skt 462 build

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jcarvalho wrote:

Hi guys! System is running fine 11x200 FSB, this barton is acting like an 3200+ and running like a champ, the instability and BSOD were due a DDR module, now running with only 1GB but stable, waiting to arrive a killer deal for 2 x 1GB Kingston HyperX, VCORE 1.8v

Given that its Socket A, stay away from 1gb DDR DIMMS, stick with 512mb Dimms for Socket A, less problems that way, the 1gb DIMMS where meant more for 939/754/775 rigs

Reply 21 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:
jcarvalho wrote:

Hi guys! System is running fine 11x200 FSB, this barton is acting like an 3200+ and running like a champ, the instability and BSOD were due a DDR module, now running with only 1GB but stable, waiting to arrive a killer deal for 2 x 1GB Kingston HyperX, VCORE 1.8v

Given that its Socket A, stay away from 1gb DDR DIMMS, stick with 512mb Dimms for Socket A, less problems that way, the 1gb DIMMS where meant more for 939/754/775 rigs

I don't agree with the staying away from 1GB double sided DDR memory modules for socket A. Actually using 512MB double sided modules seemed to be just as limiting with (at least VIA) sA chipsets as 1GB double sided modules were.

I've used 2x1GB DDR-400 configuration on KT600 for years and it never had any problems with it. The manual actually stated it would work, provided there were maximum of 2 DIMMs used.

It always seemed it was more a matter of the number of "sides" used, with a 2x single sided 512MB DDR modules being just as limiting to the FSB compared to 1x double sided 1GB DDR module.

But I'm open to corrections, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 33, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using 512mb sticks is more ''period correct'' in the way that the system might behave better with those (what does the manual say? Asus usually has a list of sticks they tested with).

But if you want to use 2gb i am all for using 2 sticks only. More sticks might mean slower speed/timings/less stable. I run my socket A systems with 2x512mb.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 23 of 33, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

That is debatable, since they will allow you to raise the resolution and/or increase AA.

I'm thinking OP wants to do 1600x1200 or some other high resolution (perhaps widescreen?), in which case they would benefit greatly by a fast GPU.

It's not really. Most games that run well on that platform can do with 1600x1200 / AA on a Radeon 9800. Some (very very few) require faster cards like a X800XT or 6800GT for 60+ fps, but you'll find the platform as a whole (CPU+MB+RAM) is too slow to feed sufficient data to the video card (even the X800XT) for smooth framarates and you will get lag spikes and frame skipping. Unfortunately on a socket A machine, even a 3200+ you can only play games up to 2004 comfortably at that resolution and graphical detail. Anything over 2004 (including) and you will start seeing platform limitations. Take DOOM 3 for example - a 2004 game. Regardless of how fast the video card it, the shier amount of data that needs to be sent to the graphics card is more then the bus on an Nforce 2 cpu to ram and cpu to agp buses can handle, and performance will suffer unless you tone down the graphics. On a much faster platform, say a 939 machine or LGA 775, you will see similar or better framerates with the same, in some cases with a weaker GPU, and while with a weaker GPU the max FPS will be lower, frametime will be much improved.

Here's a valid example:

Earth 2150. That's a game released in 2000, so it's right up the socket A platform's alley. Using an FX 5900XT on my socket A machine (Abit AN7 NF2 board, 2GB of ram, WinXP) I get between 28 and 61 fps at 1600x1200, no AA enabled, max details. There is a bit of stuttering occasionally, but it's not enough to be uncomfortable to play. Enabling AA trough the nvidia control panel drops the framerate to a maximum of 42, witch is still playable, but there's a significant amount of stuttering, and the game occasionally freezes for about half a second, especially after putting a structure down or transitioning between bases. This causes the minimum fps to be 1 (as read by fraps, probably closer to 0.5) I switched to the 6800 in my 939 rig, and the max framerate shot up to 88 fps, but the lag spikes got worse. That half a second delay is now very noticeable and longer, making the game completly unplayable for me. Max FPS was 99, but again minimum was 1. It's during these 0.5 second "hangs" where fraps reads 1 FPS. Installing the game on my 3800+ 939 machine (same 6800 video card) yealds a minimum framerate of 42 fps, and absolutely no stuttering or lag spikes, with the max fps topping out at over 120. For poops and giggles I put the 5900XT in the 939 rig - with similar results. Framerate was lower, with minimum fps of about 32 and a maximum of 65, but the game was smooth as butter. No lag spikes, no freezing, no stuttering. Now during all tests, avarage FPS did not change much, despite the 1 fps minimum - this is because the game would only stutter while certain actions were preformed. My guess is the system switches bus priority to the CPU to RAM bus occasionally, starving the CPU to AGP bus - of course I could be totally wrong, I'm by no means an expert. Just observing the results and making guesses at what could be wrong based on what I am observing and the limited knowledge of hardware architecture I poses.

tl;dr - CPU to AGP bus on older platforms can't keep faster video cards "fed" with enough data for smooth gameplay. Try it as an experiment and convince yourself.

jcarvalho wrote:

Hi! I said that the CPU was unlocked because I didn't messed up with VCore and just raised the multi in BIOS and when the PC is POSTing it says 2800... Temps about 44ºC and perfect working, no crashs no nothing... I went to 12,5 x 200, it boots, starts windows xp install (no VCore mod) and get reading errors from CD install files, but it boots fine... I got confused... By the description of things, can we be talking about an unlocked CPU? I didn't saw the manufacture date when I was installing it... I read somewhere that all bartons until 2002 week xx were unlocked ones. Maybe I got lucky with it, will give a quick try 11x200 Mhz to see if t says 3200+ and boots nice without any voltage adjust to RAMS... They are PC3200... So I think that they are under specs...BTW someone to sell 9800XT or 5900 ultra at good price? Got scared with some prices asked in a famous auction site.
Small Update: I have tried 11x200 but got some blue screens IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL one time and in the other some file serial port related, I think that the rams are not good for this, raised VCore to 1,75v but no luck, I dont have the know-how to overclock this sucker in a proper way, I will stick to 12,5 x 166 settings. For more speed I am in process of building an 939 system with Opteron 180 using 4x512 Kingston HyperX CL2 rams that I have found for about 2 euros+postage in a very well known auction site (I dont know if I can post here names of worldwide auction sites and I dont want to be banned)

Apologies, but I highly doubt you can get 2500MHz stable out of a regular 2500+ barton. In fact it's very very hard to get more then 2400MHz out of any socket A CPU, including much better binned mobile chips. The A7N8X doesn't help either. It's generally a good board, but not suited for that kind of overclock unless you run a mobile chip (the VRM on the A7N8X is not stellar. Not bad, but nothing special). I've only ever managed to get one chip to 2500MHz, and that is a late model OEM 3200+ that runs at 14x166 (2333) at stock clocks and is unlocked. Even so, to get it stable at that speed I ran 1.8V witch is in the danger zone for socket A chips, a massive bolt trough cooler (tuniq tower 120) and a Abit AN7 motherboard. Temps with a regular socket A cooler (copper base) quickly shoot to 80 celsius in load, and about 64C with the Tuniq Tower 120.

Reply 24 of 33, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wasn't doing the math right at beginning 😀 I was just try to get the most of this cpu, for me performing like 3200+ is good enought... I was very happy to know that I own an unlocked one. Dont want to go very out of specs. For pushing harder I am building an 939 rig with opteron180, asus a8n sli deluxe that i bought for pocket money and recapped it. The memory limit of the A7N8x is 3GB, so I will try the 2*1GB setup with HyperX. the idea was to build an "1.000.000 €" pc with all I would like to have but couldn't afford in the day... BTW the psu is LC Power LC6600 is it good enought for the power drawn by the system at the moment?
barton, 2 sata in raid 0, audigy 2 zs, ti4600, dvd writer

Reply 25 of 33, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

When I think of Windows XP, my inner voice is telling me to go dual core.

My inner voice doesn't start talking multi-cores until Vista, to be honest.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 26 of 33, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FFXIhealer wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

When I think of Windows XP, my inner voice is telling me to go dual core.

My inner voice doesn't start talking multi-cores until Vista, to be honest.

😁

Reply 28 of 33, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And I don't know about that motherboard, but I have an Abit Socket 462 mb that took 2x 1GB sticks of DDR-400 just fine...especially after a re-cap job. Seems stable.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 29 of 33, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had setup that was failling in memory test x86 in step 8 or 9 and it was due to psu, I changed it, run the test again using the hirens bootcd and no errors at all. the test run for several hours with psu replaced. luckily for me the mobo and all were over a card box and not in place in the computer case

Reply 30 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

My inner voice says multi core systems are crummy compared to multi CPU systems.

myonyx2.jpg

It's nice, but does it run Crysis?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 31 of 33, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi guys!
I couldn't find at decent price the gfx that were recommended

If you want a period correct "top system" I suggest you find an FX 5900XT / Ultra or a Radeon 9800.

candle_86 wrote:
6800GT/7800GS/x1950 Pro

But I have found an xfx 7900GS AGP (too much overkill for the system) very cheap compared to some auction sites, card installed, 307.83-desktop-winxp-32bit-international-whql drivers installed and 13.613 points in 3dmark 2001 SE, maybe not a great improvement from the previous 12.397 point with Ti4600 but my system is complete... 5462 points in 3dmark 2003

2GB kingston hyperx installed
What are the opinions about this?

Reply 32 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jcarvalho wrote:
hi guys! I couldn't find at decent price the gfx that were recommended […]
Show full quote

hi guys!

If you want a period correct "top system" I suggest you find an FX 5900XT / Ultra or a Radeon 9800.

candle_86 wrote:
6800GT/7800GS/x1950 Pro

But I have found an xfx 7900GS AGP (too much overkill for the system) very cheap compared to some auction sites, card installed, 307.83-desktop-winxp-32bit-international-whql drivers installed and 13.613 points in 3dmark 2001 SE, maybe not a great improvement from the previous 12.397 point with Ti4600 but my system is complete... 5462 points in 3dmark 2003

If your PSU is up for it (and LC Power isn't one of teh greatest brands that are out there, but supposedly they also made units that weren't total crap), you could use the 7900GS till you find something more appropriate? But otoh why use your 7900GS in such a rig if it's barely any better in it compared to your GF4?

Or you could leave it in since it seems to work. Personally I'd rather use it in at least an A64 build, even going from 7600GS to HD4670 on my AXP 3200+ proved to be an upgrade that was hardly noticeable (going from a R9600 to a 7600GS was a huge improvement).

You can keep it in it if you want and perhaps play higher resolutions or with higher settings. After all, you intended your AXP rig to be a "top" sA rig, right?
Go have fun 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 33 of 33, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
If your PSU is up for it (and LC Power isn't one of teh greatest brands that are out there, but supposedly they also made units […]
Show full quote
jcarvalho wrote:
hi guys! I couldn't find at decent price the gfx that were recommended […]
Show full quote

hi guys!

candle_86 wrote:
6800GT/7800GS/x1950 Pro

If your PSU is up for it (and LC Power isn't one of teh greatest brands that are out there, but supposedly they also made units that weren't total crap), you could use the 7900GS till you find something more appropriate? But otoh why use your 7900GS in such a rig if it's barely any better in it compared to your GF4?

Or you could leave it in since it seems to work. Personally I'd rather use it in at least an A64 build, even going from 7600GS to HD4670 on my AXP 3200+ proved to be an upgrade that was hardly noticeable (going from a R9600 to a 7600GS was a huge improvement).

You can keep it in it if you want and perhaps play higher resolutions or with higher settings. After all, you intended your AXP rig to be a "top" sA rig, right?
Go have fun 😜

Well, i have found that ti4600 is not dx9 but dx8 card when i tried 3dmark2003. And XP is a dx9 SO, only for this i will use 7900gs until i find some gfx more suitable for the system. I bought the PSU for 5euros used but in Nice shape, It was a psu from an old lady's desktop