VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

I've never much felt like "bottlenecking" was worth getting worked up about, but I suppose that's personal preference.

Jade Falcon wrote:

but if your upgrading why a 4200? why not go one step beater or more, like why not a 5950 or a 6800?

Are those cards not substantially more expensive? Or do they not have considerable power supply requirements?

Some cards perform worse then older models would in some machines, and in most cases too new a card will cause compatibility issues.

Reply 21 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scali wrote:

No matter how you try to spin it, the GF4Ti4200 will balance out better than the GF4MX.

Or as others have already mentioned and is common knowledge here, it will fry his board or actually have no benefit whatsoever except for eating time and costing money.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

As a general blanked statement I feel that I would use neither of those cards for old games. But it does depend a lot on other variables like what game and what machine is being used and the OP has a habbit of not providing much information, which doesn't help answer this properly.

^This

It also depends on what one considers "an old game", we don't know anything about what Sandi actually wants. But maybe he just needs to give it a go and afterwards report back with his findings (with pics! 😁)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 26, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
Scali wrote:

No matter how you try to spin it, the GF4Ti4200 will balance out better than the GF4MX.

Or as others have already mentioned and is common knowledge here, it will fry his board or actually have no benefit whatsoever except for eating time and costing money.

That's a lot of assumptions and straw men.
Firstly, I have never heard of a GF4Ti4200 frying any boards. Why would it do that? It's a pretty modest card in terms of power consumption (as cards were back then), with a small heatsink+fan. Heck, even the Ti4600 still ran on only the AGP bus power, and I never heard of that card frying any boards either.

As for costing money... We don't know, perhaps he already owns the card, and just wants to know whether it's worthwhile. Or perhaps he's rich enough that the cost of a Ti4200 is insignificant, and does not factor into the decision at all.
Likewise, if time were a concern, then why even ask the question if you should swap a card or not? You know it's going to take some limited amount of time to open the case, get the old card out, get the new card in, close the case again, and start the machine.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 24 of 26, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sandi1987 wrote:

I got GeForce 4 Ti 4200 today. Which driver should i install for Windows 98 and XP? Currently i'm using Windows Drivers in Windows XP.

It't not easy to help you because you provide very little information about your system and the games you want to play. It's a bit like "I got a pencil today, what kind of paint should I use with it?" Well it depends on what do you want to paint and on what surface.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2017-02-11, 10:49. Edited 3 times in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.