Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have 4 options varying in age, will go into my 939 x2 3800 on a8n-e

7900GTX
X850XT PE
9800GT
GT440 DDR3

The slowest of them is the x850, 7900, 440, and finally 9800GT. The 440 advantage is it doesn't require external power, the x850 is era correct, the 7900 is close to era correct and the 9800 is about as fast as is reasonable.

So which do I use

Reply 1 of 13, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You already know which one is best and which one is time correct, go with the one you find more adequate to what you are going to do with the machine.

I like time correct hardware, but hey, it's my personal taste.

Reply 2 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do not understand these questions.....

If you are using old hardware that you know nothing (or not enough) about and you have questions, these great forums can help you.

But if you are building computers and every time you have to make a basic choice to which parts you use you need to ask......comon.
No one here knows what you want to do with it, so only you can make the choices. You know what the hardware is capable of.

I'm still waiting for the first person that comes to ask what sweater to wear when they are building computers.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 3 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:

I'm still waiting for the first person that comes to ask what sweater to wear when they are building computers.

Trick question. You DON'T wear it, because it can generate static build up.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 13, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i believe in general thats more like "i dont know what else i could do, throw ideas at me like monkey does with his turd"; ill freely admit i do that sometimes as well, there are so many people here who just know so much more about all this than me that asking for ideas seems the right thing to do;

also, you are a clueless1, obviously you have to match the color of the sweater to your PCB, how else would you hack your PCB with style? :>

Reply 7 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:
meljor wrote:

Trick question. You DON'T wear it, because it can generate static build up.

^This 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
candle_86 wrote:

I prefer to live dangrously, I not only wear a sweater, but I wear wool socks as well 😜

^This 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 11 of 13, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

I prefer to live dangrously, I not only wear a sweater, but I wear wool socks as well 😜

Yeah, do that on carpet in a trailer with 20 deg. weather outside 0% humidity Hah!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 12 of 13, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
buckeye wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

I prefer to live dangerously, I not only wear a sweater, but I wear wool socks as well 😜

Yeah, do that on carpet in a trailer with 20 deg. weather outside 0% humidity Hah!

I live dangerously 1970's stile, Shag rug and everything 😵 OH and a suede office chair 😎

Reply 13 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:
buckeye wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

I prefer to live dangerously, I not only wear a sweater, but I wear wool socks as well 😜

I live dangerously 1970's stile, Shag rug and everything 😵 OH and a suede office chair 😎

And a cat curled up inside your now panel-less and half-completed WIP besides you 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!