VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can get both for a small penny. AGP versions both, apparently. Worth a buy? I used to own an i740 paired with a Voodoo 2 in my Pentium II PC back in the day, I remember it being pretty terrible in DX games (Constant hard crashes and lockups) and I opted using glide whenever possible.. I'll buy them if they are worth collecting, however 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 32, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

rage pro is practically worthless. the i740 is one of those cards that are neat, but only because of how horribly bad it is. pick up the i740.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 32, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Rage Pro has rather good image quality and can run titles which render using ATI CIF technology. Beyond that, it's 3D acceleration capability is pretty hopeless. DOS gaming support is not as compatible as other cards. Personally, I consider the DOS glitches to be minor, but I'm not very picky.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are ATI RAGE PRO or Intel 740 rare AGP Cards?

No

The i740 may not be very common, but even Rendition 2100 (the Diamond version that was seemingly in every second Pentium MMX system here in The Netherlands) seemed to be more common than i740.

Worth a buy? That depends on how you value them and if they happen to be PCI.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 32, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Intel 740 4Mb AGP versions from intel are rare (PCI versions are even more). 8MB from various other sellers were not few years ago. But now they are not so common. So they might be in future rare, but only for collecting use. Not usable for 3D.

ATi RAGE PRO are common - used in many many desktop oem computers, so plenty of them around. In 3D usable only at level of Voodoo 1, almost anything from 2nd gen. is better.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 5 of 32, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a Diamond Stealth II G460 (the Intel i740) in an 8MB AGP 2x card back in the day and I didn't see the crashing and stuff that you described. In fact, it was a stable and pretty decent 3D card without me shelling out the $400 for an actual Voodoo2 back in the day. Too bad I don't have that card anymore, because I still have the original driver CD that came with it.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 6 of 32, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FFXIhealer wrote:

I had a Diamond Stealth II G460 (the Intel i740) in an 8MB AGP 2x card back in the day and I didn't see the crashing and stuff that you described. In fact, it was a stable and pretty decent 3D card without me shelling out the $400 for an actual Voodoo2 back in the day. Too bad I don't have that card anymore, because I still have the original driver CD that came with it.

I don't remember the exact make and model of mine but it wasn't Diamond.. Regardless, it may have been any kind of hardware or driver issue on my PC, I had no idea what I was doing; I had just upgraded from a 486 DX4-100. The two cards were replaced by a Voodoo 3 the next year IIRC 😀 I have ratehr fond memories of the i740 to be honest, so I will probably buy it for collection's sake. It will be a fun card to have at hand for a PII/AGP/Voodoo2 build if I get around to it.

Reply 7 of 32, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rage PRO 128 bit cards are not common at all at leat in my neck of the woods. It took me years to find one. While Rge pro cards are common, most of them are 64 bit, with some weird late OEM versions even using a 32 bit memory bus...

Reply 8 of 32, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

Rage PRO 128 bit cards are not common at all at leat in my neck of the woods. It took me years to find one. While Rge pro cards are common, most of them are 64 bit, with some weird late OEM versions even using a 32 bit memory bus...

Rage 128 and Rage 128 pro are also quite common in both AGP and PCI.
If you are talking about rage pro with 128 bit memory bus that's another story. I've never seen that and I doubt if it ever exists. Please educate me if you actually got one! 🤣

Reply 13 of 32, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Putas wrote:
Errius wrote:

What is the difference between Rage Pro and Rage Pro Turbo?

Ethics.

Rage Pro Turbo. Now with 50% more fake performance.

Reply 14 of 32, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This confused me a while back because I have an old iMac which some websites say has a Rage Pro, and others a Rage Pro Turbo. For a time I thought the computer was released in two different versions.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 15 of 32, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
http://s7.leapfrog.com/is/image/LeapFrog/turbo-dreamworks-app_58635-96914_1?$prod-lg$&$label=Learning%20Game […]
Show full quote

turbo-dreamworks-app_58635-96914_1?$prod-lg$&$label=Learning%20Game

*slow clap*

if there is a better hypothetical mascot for this card i've yet to see it

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 32, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember trying to run Quake 3 Arena on this iMac. Because after all a computer from 1999 should be able to run a game from 1999, right?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 17 of 32, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

I remember trying to run Quake 3 Arena on this iMac. Because after all a computer from 1999 should be able to run a game from 1999, right?

Running Q3A on a Rage Pro is like running Q3A on a Voodoo 1; I wouldn't suggest it.

Reply 18 of 32, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

Rage 128 and Rage 128 pro are also quite common in both AGP and PCI.
If you are talking about rage pro with 128 bit memory bus that's another story. I've never seen that and I doubt if it ever exists. Please educate me if you actually got one! 🤣

Tested one here: Re: 99-03 video card performance scaling (Q3, Unreal, DK2, 3DM2k, 3DM2001)

Got it from a friend in a box of video cards. I tough it was an OEM card but apparently it's built by PC Partner. Here's some specs on the 128 bit version:

http://www.gpureview.com/Rage-Fury-Pro-card-251.html

Mine si clocked at 133/133, with 32MB of SDRAM on a 128 bit bus.

appiah4 wrote:
Errius wrote:

Running Q3A on a Rage Pro is like running Q3A on a Voodoo 1; I wouldn't suggest it.

Right. While not impressive, the rage fury pro gets ~44 fps in Q3 @ 640x480 and a mind-blowing 15.8 fps at 1280x1024. Quite a bit faster then a voodoo 1, but still shit compared to the competition. Realistically it's about as fast as a TNT2 M64. The common 64 bit version is even slower. As for the 32 bit version (1 memory chip! ONE!) those are usually on motherboard solutions for server motherboards or shit notebooks.

Last edited by kanecvr on 2017-02-22, 13:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 32, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Of course Rage Fury Pro would do 44 fps in Q3 because it's a completely different card from Rage Pro Turbo.