VOGONS

First post, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've installed said card into a DX2-66 system over a Trident 9200CXR (aaaugh it was terrible) and I'm find it... not all that much faster? It clearly is somewhat faster, but not to the extent that Doom 2 is perfectly playable- it drops to 15fps on the first level alone. This seems a little strange, I know Doom 2 was 1994 but shouldn't this card be more than able to play it? Am I simply mistaken about how fast it is or is there something software related I'm missing, something like that fastvid program later systems need?

E: Mach32 drivers report 77 Mpixels per second, is that normal speeds?

Reply 1 of 5, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Scroll down to the very bottom of this page:
http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/benchmarks
and look at the small 486 VGA charts. There's a Mach32 in there along with a couple of other models of Trident for you to compare. If you run yours in the same benches, you'll get an idea if your Mach32 is performing as it should.

If you run Doom benchmark from Phil's DOS Benchmark Pack, a fast 486/66 should get about 24fps in that test.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 5, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have a 1 meg version? Mach32 actually has 64-bit memory, and if you have 1MB you're cutting memory bandwidth in half.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 5, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In DOS there won't and shouldn't be much difference between 1 or 2MB. All VLB cards are pretty much on the same level in DOS (+-10%). Main advantages of better ones are mostly in Windows.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs