VOGONS

Is a Voodoo 2 worth the cost

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So my Pentium 3 rig runs my Ti 4200, just wondering is the cost worth it for a real voodoo 2, or can my P3 800, WinME, 512mb Ram Ti 4200 use one of the Glide wrappers for games.

Reply 1 of 120, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can get one cheap but at the rate the prices are creeping upwards it won't be in the near future especially for the 12mb version.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 120, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think you might need geforce FX series card, as nglide requires dx9, the ti4200 is a dx8 card so it likely wont work

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 3 of 120, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there something you want to run with a Glide wrapper but that still requires WinME for some reason? If you're okay with using a Glide wrapper, why not just use your XP Home or Windows 10 Pro machine?

For that matter, are there any Glide games you particularly want to run? Is it "worth the cost" to have a piece of hardware you might never actually need to use?

Reply 5 of 120, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Richo wrote:

isn't a voodoo 2 abit to "old" for a PIII rig? a voodoo 3 3000 and above should be more suitable for it.
A voodoo 2 is better utilized on a (S)S7 or Pentium II.

I have V2 sli in my 1.4 tualatin build...Fantastic

Reply 6 of 120, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More want to enjoy unreal and half life with glide, also nfs 2, rouge squadron and I hear simcopter does glide

Reply 7 of 120, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Id spring for a voodoo3 or 5500 for higher resolutions. Keep in mind to that the voodoo can't do dx in 2k and up. So no biohazard 2 unless if your using 9x. And nothing higher then 1024x768 or something like that.
That aside the voodoo2 is useful for a all in one system where you have the ability to run anything.

Reply 8 of 120, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

More want to enjoy unreal and half life with glide, also nfs 2, rouge squadron and I hear simcopter does glide

Do you expect them to look substantially different than they would without Glide?

If you do, then I guess you have your answer.

Reply 9 of 120, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Simcopter's glide support is only in techdemo form. There is no playable Glide Simcopter.

Unreal's GlideDrv is much more polished and stable than the D3DDrv/OpenGLDrv drivers the patches ship with (which are considered more as experimental renderers than polished use of an API to judge between as an authority on what's best. this is also why the 3dfx fandom love to call any UnrealEngine1 game their darling in internet pissing matches)

Also reminder - you're posting in Marvin. Your constant preaching of practical modern PC solutions should be left at the door. There's also some elements that Glide wrappers don't yet emulate of the voodoo to make it a faithful experience (like say the characteristic tmu dithering patterns, the dithering of mip levels, and the appearance of filtering afterward that i'm still researching)

God Of Gaming wrote:

I think you might need geforce FX series card, as nglide requires dx9

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo don't suggest that crap card series for DX9 renderers ever

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 120, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Also reminder - you're posting in Marvin. Your constant preaching of practical modern PC solutions should be left at the door.

Yes, well, it's just that one can't really decide if something is "worth the cost" without developing some criteria for "worth" – unless it just comes down to intangible warm fuzzies, in which case one's personal perception is all that matters.

Reply 11 of 120, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
candle_86 wrote:

Wouldn't building a ss7 (or p1/ p2) be a better choice for all round retro gaming (easy to tune hardware for old dos games)? A p3 is too powerful Imo for games like that, better used for 2k+ games

Reply 12 of 120, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Richo wrote:

Wouldn't building a ss7 (or p1/ p2) be a better choice for all round retro gaming

The SS7 chipsets out there are a real gamble for reliability unfortunately. P3 isn't an excess and some can conveniently hit 386/486 speeds with the cache off

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 120, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a SS7 IBM Aptiva with a Voodoo 3 2000 in it, but I'm trying to stick to one computer to handle 98 era games that I actually played, my first computer game was Starfleet Academy and Civilization II, nothing that requires 386/486 speed. The oldest game I actually play is Doom, which plays just fine on a P3. I put a Ti-4200 in because it can handle DX3-DX8 easily, and if i need more power my XP rig has an HD4870 in it, so I'm covered for the entire era of DX9 right in that system. So my question came down to is a voodoo 2 worth the ebay cost, I don't want to but a Voodoo 3 or 5 in here as I will loose out on the preformance my Ti-4200 can give me in DirectX class games, which i why I was thinking Voodoo to get Glide if the wrappers don't work right.

As for modern I wasn't looking at Modern Wrappers, I was looking at dgvoodoo or any of the early wrappers

Reply 14 of 120, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's worth the cost if You buy Brand new old stock cards. I got 2 from the following link, both work perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STB-3dfx-Voodoo2-g … UEAAOxyYANTa430

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 15 of 120, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

S
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo don't suggest that crap card series for DX9 renderers ever

what then, the gforce 6000 series are missing table fog and stuff, and don't get me started on ATi...

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 16 of 120, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Imperious wrote:

It's worth the cost if You buy Brand new old stock cards. I got 2 from the following link, both work perfectly.

I think most of us got their V2 cards from that guy 🤣

For giggles, I produces this video ages ago. A high powered Athlon 64, GeForce FX and Windows 98 with nGlide running some Glide games. It runs Unreal at 1600 x 1200 much faster than a real V5 😀

https://youtu.be/1-w1NziFoLg

It's not something I recommend, just thought it would be a fun experiement!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 17 of 120, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Imperious wrote:

hmm tempted to buy two 🤣

Reply 18 of 120, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:
Imperious wrote:

hmm tempted to buy two 🤣

Seems he only has 6 left 😲

Soooo...was it worth it to you? 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 120, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I havn't bought any yet, gonna see if my I7 2600 can sell for enough to cover the cost of 2 of these cards. What type of cable would i use to make my own SLI cable