VOGONS

First post, by Kevin_CCR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have a voodoo5 5500 that is displaying red lines. It was missing C505, C515, C109, C90, and C543. I have put C515 and C109 back on and there was no improvements. And so I went researching. I came across a few videos on saving gpu's that display red lines. Would baking it work? Also anyone know what C543 is?

Reply 2 of 11, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's better to get it working without baking if you can, but the downside is that if you add the components and then it doesn't work and you bake it... baking is actually bad for capacitors. It can fix problems with solder but it can also cause other problems - it's a roll of the dice.

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 4 of 11, by Kevin_CCR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kenrouholo wrote:

It's better to get it working without baking if you can, but the downside is that if you add the components and then it doesn't work and you bake it... baking is actually bad for capacitors. It can fix problems with solder but it can also cause other problems - it's a roll of the dice.

I've seen other bake gpus with similar capacitors (LTT) and it worked fine, but I was also considering using a heat gun to just directly apply heat to the gpus them selves. Also I did put the capacitors back on, at least the ones directly under the gpu and the bigger drums as I haven't got the other capacitors yet, no change.

Reply 5 of 11, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My best advice for replacing the rest of the missing caps would be to find pictures of an identical voodoo 5, check the caps and replace them with the equivalents on the other Voodoo. Or possibly another member could read you off the values from their card maybe. As previously suggested, the nature of the red lines makes me think that a dead/bad memory module is afoot. The reflow works on Geforce 8k cards and similar because of a switch to leadless solder in the mid-late 2k's. Unless the video card got EXCEPTIONALLY hot (enough to crack the solder). . . I doubt a reflow would fix your V5. Even then a reflow is universally known as a temporary fix.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 11, by Kevin_CCR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

My best advice for replacing the rest of the missing caps would be to find pictures of an identical voodoo 5, check the caps and replace them with the equivalents on the other Voodoo. Or possibly another member could read you off the values from their card maybe. As previously suggested, the nature of the red lines makes me think that a dead/bad memory module is afoot. The reflow works on Geforce 8k cards and similar because of a switch to leadless solder in the mid-late 2k's. Unless the video card got EXCEPTIONALLY hot (enough to crack the solder). . . I doubt a reflow would fix your V5. Even then a reflow is universally known as a temporary fix.

So there is only a slight possibility that it would work if I tried to reflow the card?

Reply 9 of 11, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

Baking usually works only for newer cards (like for Geforce 8 series and newer).

Have to agree to this. Those old voodoos predates 2006 and the ROHS directive by far, and thus most certainly are soldered with leaded solder. Chances that the artifacting is due to cracked solder joints are slim to say the least.

Reply 10 of 11, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kevin_CCR wrote:
mwdmeyer wrote:

I've got a couple of Voodoo 5s, what values do you need?

I just need C543

I cannot see any markings on that chip, it looks exactly the same as C544 if that helps.

This is from a PCI Voodoo 5 5500 DVI version

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 11 of 11, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On a agp version of mine it looks like it says ''481'' ? It is SOOOOO tiny! Even with a magnifier i can hardly see it 😵

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1