VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got this game for my XP rig. Haven't spent too much time with it yet but it's good looking graphics-wise. Anyways posted my test results if anyone wants to compare. Funny I haven't heard or seen many too comments on here about it like Doom 3, was it not well received?

Attachments

• Q4-test.JPG
    Filename
    Q4-test.JPG
    File size
    63.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 14, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's funny, I have the same platform (775, e8400) waiting for a new gpu, and I'll be playing at that exact resolution. May take me a while, but I'll benchmark Quake 4 once I get the machine up.

Reply 2 of 14, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a pretty cool game graphics-wise, don't know why you don't hear more talk about it.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I understand Quake 1-3 were pretty revolutionary, but the hardware demands of Quake 4 are not so unusual as to make it particularly useful as a benchmark, especially when various flavors of 3DMark will work perfectly well on systems capable of running Quake 4.

Reply 4 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK this game was not on Steam for a long time. I can see it is now, I don't know when that happened though.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 14, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quake 4 had a awesome single player campaign and I recommend it. It uses a highly optimized version of the Doom 3 engine so it ran like butter with any decent system at the time.

Even my GTX 960 2GB would probably get hundreds of FPS @ 1080p. 😉

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 7 of 14, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Fusion wrote:

Quake 4 has a awesome single player campaign and I recommend it. It was highly optimized version of the Doom 3 engine so it ran like butter with any decent system for its time.

Even my GTX 960 2GB would probably get hundreds of FPS @ 1080p. 😉

Quake 4 is the ONLY game to ever get a visceral reaction from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Nk1WI2LTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Tg-Kpjazk

No game has since ever made me feel queasy playing

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8 of 14, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Quake 4 is the ONLY game to ever get a visceral reaction from me. […]
Show full quote

Quake 4 is the ONLY game to ever get a visceral reaction from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Nk1WI2LTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Tg-Kpjazk

No game has since ever made me feel queasy playing

its a quake 2 with better graphics still now that i've seen it, its still pretty bad in some places and would probably run bad on an old box like mine;

Reply 9 of 14, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrau wrote:

its a quake 2 with better graphics still now that i've seen it, its still pretty bad in some places and would probably run bad on an old box like mine;

Well its running with everything on low. It does look much, much better with all settings turned up. I wouldn't quite say its just Quake 2 with better graphics either 🤣.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 10 of 14, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I enjoy Quake 4. It's not as polished or sophisticated as Doom 3 in my view, but the gameplay is solid. Still fun after many playthroughs.

How are you benchmarking? Quake 4 doesn't have a built-in timedemo, as far as I know.

PCGames9505

Reply 11 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whenever I play Quake 4, I notice it has a slight stutter to it. The SMP option usually makes this worse. The Steam version also has a bug that usually necessitates some cfg tweaks to get the textures running above low quality.

Which reminds me of the Doom3 EAX hiccup. Sometimes the entire screen shifts for an instant. Weird stuff.

Reply 12 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake 4 was at its best in 2005-07 because of multiplayer alone

In that time frame, because OF the graphics being somewhat modern (i.e. basic normal mapping and carmack's reverse shadows), "pros" wouldn't touch it with a 50-foot pole being kryptonite to "winners", therefore the multiplayer was much more enjoyable (until the dreaded 1.4 patch where shadows could be turned off without cheats after so much of their whining)

Q3 had a similar sentiment until 2002 when a physics exploit was found with faster P4 processors, encouraging widespread vertexlight abuse to get there.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

AFAIK this game was not on Steam for a long time. I can see it is now, I don't know when that happened though.

It was never on Steam until around 2012. Bethesda was really lazy on getting Q4 rereleased digitally.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 14, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maximus wrote on 2017-05-19, 01:59:

How are you benchmarking? Quake 4 doesn't have a built-in timedemo, as far as I know.

Since this hasn't been answered, and it's not really mentioned in a lot of places on the interwebs, I'll resurrect this thread and chime in.

• The retail release of Quake 4 must be updated to version 1.4.2 for this to work (digital versions on GOG and Steam are already up to date)
  • Inside the Quake 4 directory, you need to copy the "demos" folder from q4mp\demos to q4base\demos
  • Disable V-Sync by going into Settings > System > Advanced Settings > Vertical sync > No
  • Open the console by pressing CTRL+ALT+Tilde key (~) and type the following:
playNetTimeDemo id_perftest.ndmo85

After the demo finishes running, open the console once again to see the frame rate.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi