VOGONS

First post, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bit of a noob question, but I am planning a P166 MMX build. would a voodoo2 12 MB video card fit in nicely, or would there be a CPU bottleneck? Would a Voodoo1 fit in better? I am going to run 95 on the system.

Thanks 😀

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 1 of 14, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Definitely bottlenecked, but certainly faster than a Voodoo1 on the other hand. What games would you like to play on this system and what's your tolerance on lower framerates 😉?

As general rule, Voodoo 2 cards are better suited for Pentium 2 systems, especially if you go SLI, in which case a fast Pentium 2/Pentium 3 makes a lot more sense. The Pentium and Pentium MMX on the other hand are slow for anything post 1997, unless of course you're okay with 20-30 FPS on a regular basis, in which case, go nuts!

Reply 2 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo 2 would work and iirc it should actually be a bit faster compared to V1. There would be a CPU bottleneck (I matched a V2 with a K6-III/400), but imo a V2 would work fine for your rig 😀
I'm not sure how compatibility would be affected, but mostly this should be fixable (and it depends on which games you'd intend to play).

Both V1 and V2 would work with your 166MMX but the V1 is a more period correct match and yes the V2 would be bottlenecked (but it would work). One of my friends actually used a Diamond V1 and your exact CPU back in the day (which was my very first experience with Glide 😁).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 14, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The board I am going to use (I've only got the AT case, PSU, CD-ROM drive, and 2D graphics card for the build yet 🤣 ) supports up to iirc an MMX 233. Of course the case I'm using only has a 188 display so i'd like to keep it below 200 MHz but if need be I can upgrade, but I plan to play (probably) Quake II, Resident Evil 1, and Mechwarrior (i'll think about other games later)

Reply 4 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which board are you gonna be using? It might support faster chips but imo 233MMX is actually pretty good already.

cj_reha wrote:

only has a 188 display

So how about putting in that 233MMX and have the display set to "1o1"? 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 14, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FIC PA-2007 is the board 😀

Reply 6 of 14, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This thorough V2 scaling project by fellow Vogoneer Phil should offer a mountain of relevant info:

Phil's Voodoo 2 (and SLI) processor Scaling project - 65 pages, 875 benchmark results

If this isn't the most recent/best link let me know..

Last edited by tincup on 2017-03-14, 23:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 14, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use a voodoo1 one in my 233mmx setup and it is a good match. I think 166mmx is borderline even for the oldest glide games.
Sure it will run pretty good on the 166mmxx (i run such games even on a 486-160mhz and voodoo2) but for the smoothest experience i like the 233mmx.

Check if yours is unlocked: in that case 1,5x gives 3,5x and gives you the 233mhz. Later ones are locked so just try.

Later glide games run better on p2 or faster processors and preferably a faster voodoo or sli setup.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 14, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:
I use a voodoo1 one in my 233mmx setup and it is a good match. I think 166mmx is borderline even for the oldest glide games. Sur […]
Show full quote

I use a voodoo1 one in my 233mmx setup and it is a good match. I think 166mmx is borderline even for the oldest glide games.
Sure it will run pretty good on the 166mmxx (i run such games even on a 486-160mhz and voodoo2) but for the smoothest experience i like the 233mmx.

Check if yours is unlocked: in that case 1,5x gives 3,5x and gives you the 233mhz. Later ones are locked so just try.

Later glide games run better on p2 or faster processors and preferably a faster voodoo or sli setup.

Got the motherboard today, and it seems the previous owner used an undocumented jumper setting and got the P166MMX (I checked, it's verified 166 chip!) to run at 240 stably 😲

My job is done already! 🤣

Reply 9 of 14, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I run a Voodoo2 SLI setup in a Pentium 200MMX system and it works fine playing Half-Life and Tomb Raider and so on. Sure, it is a little bottlenecked, but the way I see it these machines were all weird and quirky back in the day and if they aren't weird and quirky still, then we aren't doing it right! 😁

Reply 10 of 14, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

This thorough V2 scaling project by fellow Vogoneer Phil should offer a mountain of relevant info:

Phil's Voodoo 2 (and SLI) processor Scaling project - 65 pages, 875 benchmark results

Link seems broke to me (the spreadsheet on dropbox).

Also my 2 cents... Voodoo 2 was released in Feb 1998. A P2-333/66 was the fastest available at the time (although the P2-350/100 would launch in a few months). But that was a $700 cpu. So realistically, people had lower clocked Pentium 2's, a high-end Pentium-MMX/K6 CPU.

Last edited by dexvx on 2017-03-27, 01:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:
tincup wrote:

Link seems broke to me (the spreadsheet on dropbox).

Fixed! Thanks

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:

Also my 2 cents... Voodoo 2 was released in Feb 1998. A P2-333/66 was the fastest available at the time (although the P2-350/100 would launch in a few months). But that was a $700 cpu. So realistically, people had lower clocked Pentium 2's, a high-end Pentium-MMX/K6 CPU.

More realistically there's also the segment of Cyrix 6x86MX budget-minded enthusiasts that adored Voodoo2 cards. Unreal's a harsh reality check sure, but everything else ran fine.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 14, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in 1998 I had a Voodoo2 with a P166MMX. I later overclocked the CPU to 200mhz, but yeah, it happened. It had better performance than my previous Voodoo1 card (which I sold to a friend of mine), but it was kind of a waste.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 14 of 14, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea, Voodoo2 is the main reason i able to play the "Blaze & Blade: Eternal Quest" with my P-166MMX, otherwise its just too slow without it.
The Voodoo2 however is tempramental and quite picky with motherboard,
i often need to re-seat it into different slots, just to make it recognized by its own drivers.

-fffuuu