Topic actions

Reply 80 of 318, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
devius wrote:

Yeah, you can never have too many graphics cards 😉

I doubt I'd ever put any of these in a build, maybe the Wireless-G PCI card (if that supports WPA2, which is a long shot..) so I'll probably offer them for donation locally.

In other news, the fan on the 256 DDR is gone beyond help, so I'll just slap on a 40mm case fan onto the gpu, probably with zipties.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 81 of 318, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
appiah4 wrote:
devius wrote:

Yeah, you can never have too many graphics cards 😉

I doubt I'd ever put any of these in a build, maybe the Wireless-G PCI card (if that supports WPA2, which is a long shot..) so I'll probably offer them for donation locally.

In other news, the fan on the 256 DDR is gone beyond help, so I'll just slap on a 40mm case fan onto the gpu, probably with zipties.

aliexpress sells GPU cheatsink + fan under 5,- a piece

Reply 83 of 318, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Richo wrote:

aliexpress sells GPU cheatsink + fan under 5,- a piece

I'll look into something prettier, in the meantine this is how it works:

med_gallery_60983_11505_528770.jpg

Reply 85 of 318, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AzzKickr wrote:

Looks good but I would have used a tiny drop of silicone adhesive like Tec7 on all 4 corners.

Didn't have hot silicon glue at hand, I'll probably do that later on.. But I'm kind of in love with mounting fans using zip ties lately 😀

Reply 87 of 318, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was complaining about not being able to find this card and as of now I have two, one DDR and one SDR.. Looks funny..

Reply 88 of 318, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dexvx wrote:

Any guesses how much this Boxed Guillemot GeForce 256 DDR will go for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guillemot-Hercules-3D … E-/272712766227

I had some communication with this seller some weeks ago as he is not that far from me and we both share the language (Dutch). He is a collector too and is getting rid of a portion of his collection card by card. The previous one he sold was the Prophet III Ti-500 and that one went for $200+. I'm expecting this one to go higher; ~$300.

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 89 of 318, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found 2x GeForce 256, both Dell OEM SDR. I've sold off one. Still looking for the DDR version at a semi-reasonable price. I suppose part of the fun of collecting is the treasure finding process itself.

Reply 90 of 318, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder how much 64mb DDR version could go for this days.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 91 of 318, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AzzKickr wrote:
dexvx wrote:

I had some communication with this seller some weeks ago as he is not that far from me and we both share the language (Dutch). He is a collector too and is getting rid of a portion of his collection card by card. The previous one he sold was the Prophet III Ti-500 and that one went for $200+. I'm expecting this one to go higher; ~$300.

Why the hell would someone pay that much for a prophet 3 or even a 256?

Those are V5 prices. These are 50 dollar cards tops...... What the fuck is wrong with people? The human race disgusts me and I'll be glad when the Trump fueled nuclear apocalypse resets humanity to the Stone age

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 92 of 318, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
AzzKickr wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Why the hell would someone pay that much for a prophet 3 or even a 256?

Those are V5 prices. These are 50 dollar cards tops...... What the fuck is wrong with people? The human race disgusts me and I'll be glad when the Trump fueled nuclear apocalypse resets humanity to the Stone age

I can think of more extreme responses to people paying too much for graphics cards, but that post ranks pretty high!

I count myself lucky for finding a Creative CT6970 about a year ago for a fairly reasonable price. I'd love to get my hands on an SDR version as well, and sadly let one slip by that was just up on eBay about a week ago.

I'd like to have a TNT2 Ultra too, but then Pegasus Riding Lessons are just as likely to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database

Reply 93 of 318, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The number of approaching 20 year old GPU's with excellent condition box and all accessories is so small. Now only include top of the line GPU's, and you can get a good idea of how rare they actually are.

10+ years from now I can imagine Nvidia Titan's with full box/accessories to be worth quite a bit.

Reply 94 of 318, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Listed as "new". But box have a lot of wear and card was used quite intensively.

Reply 95 of 318, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I think the age of cheap PC hardware, no matter how old it is, is over.

Even locally I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get good deals, and I even managed to buy an Asus Geforce256 64MB DDR for 3,66€ about a year ago, but these types of deals are getting rarer.

Reply 96 of 318, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see any problems with local deals outside of "OMG it's 3DFX/Gravis Ultrasound/Nintendo" area. Demand for this old junk is not increasing.

Reply 97 of 318, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

I don't see any problems with local deals outside of "OMG it's 3DFX/Gravis Ultrasound/Nintendo" area. Demand for this old junk is not increasing.

Maybe where you live it isn't, but where I live it is. Worst still is that newer used hardware is not decreasing in price like it used to.

Reply 98 of 318, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Maybe where you live it isn't, but where I live it is. Worst still is that newer used hardware is not decreasing in price like it used to.

Isn't that down to stuff being useful longer than it used to? In 2000 you would be called insane to attempt to game with a 3 year old GPU. A 3 year old GPU now would be an R9 290 or a GTX 780Ti which are both still powerful enough to max out pretty much anything at 1080p.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 99 of 318, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:

The number of approaching 20 year old GPU's with excellent condition box and all accessories is so small. Now only include top of the line GPU's, and you can get a good idea of how rare they actually are.

10+ years from now I can imagine Nvidia Titan's with full box/accessories to be worth quite a bit.

Yeah but first Titan's will drop down to be 20 dollar cards for like 2 years.