VOGONS

Are GeForce 256 DDR cards that rare?

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 318, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

T&L seems to be a boon for builders like me, who usually cut down on costs by going for budget CPUs paired with fancy GPUs at the time. I had a Voodoo 3 running on a PII-350 for example - that thing scales up as high as PIII 800 IIRC. Most of my current retrobuilds still reflect that mentality (PMMX and Voodoo 2 SLI etc..). I plan on replacing my Voodoo 3 in a PIII 450 system with a GF256 DDR + Voodoo2 SLI at some point. I'm fairly sure T&L will help there.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 241 of 318, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
silikone wrote:

Is the application of eight lights not largely variable? Local lights should be more demanding than directional sources, and the amount of geometry being affected by each light is also to be considered.
The 3D Mark test seems to simulate the worst case scenario, with the maximum number of hardware lights all present locally, blending together on a high-poly mesh. I'd imagine that in more practical usage, eight lights would be feasible on this period of hardware with excellent results.

Well, that's the point. I believe it has a 1M poly scene, which was considered extremely high-poly at the time. The sole purpose is to test the T&L performance of the GPU (or CPU in case of software T&L, although by 2001 hardware T&L was commonplace).
I don't think any games actually used anywhere near 8 lights.
But sure, you could think of situations with low enough polycount (and remember that there's attenuation/cutoff for the lights as well, so the lights can be culled altogether on polys that are far away, especially if you use high attenuation factors) that 8 lights are feasible in realtime.
In fact, the high-end GPUs of the time (think GF3/GF4/Radeon 8500) didn't even do all that badly in this test.
In 3DMark2000 there is a similar high poly test by the way, but less heavy, more tailored to first-gen T&L hardware perhaps.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 242 of 318, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Meanwhile mysterious Eagles GeForce 256 32mb is on the way.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 244 of 318, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Look for it by memory size and type filters. But it's easier to find GeForce 256 on local markets for cheap price.

Reply 246 of 318, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Look for it by memory size and type filters. But it's easier to find GeForce 256 on local markets for cheap price.

Yea... I've been looking every since I posted this question. I've seen one NV10 SDR locally at the recycler.

My eBay seller (for NV10 DDR) seems to have inventory problems, still not shipped out. Not a good sign.

Reply 249 of 318, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My abomination has arrived.

Eagles GeForce 256 SDR front.jpg
Filename
Eagles GeForce 256 SDR front.jpg
File size
1.32 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Eagles GeForce 256 SDR back.jpg
Filename
Eagles GeForce 256 SDR back.jpg
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File license

Surprisingly enough that's 128-bit card with just slightly underclocked memory - 120 mhz chip/150 mhz memory. Despite its ugly duckling appearance I've successfully overclocked it up to 150/195 mhz. VGA quality is blurry though and fan is completely dead.

Reply 250 of 318, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can that FAN be moved manually ?
Because it may need a simple oil drop in bearing + a lot of manual pushing 😀

Ugly suck is a lot faster than my card 🙁
On the other hand, I own the only 64-bit SDR GF256 around here, aren't I ?

157143230295.png

Reply 251 of 318, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It moves but oil did nothing unfortunately. Looks like heat from GPU just killed the rotor.

On the other hand, I own the only 64-bit SDR GF256 around here, aren't I ?

I'm quite sure it's not really problematic to find that ASUS abomination. Sooner or later I'll stumble upon it.

Eagles card looks very similar to this 64-bit model though: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/731/geforce-256-sdr

Reply 252 of 318, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I posted this in the general forum, but I'll post it here as well I guess. Visiontek GeForce 256 DDR 32MB. Stock at 120/150. Memory is -6, so it should go to 166 no problem. Fan is dying.

Still on the lookout for my old Creative Labs Annihilator Pro.

Am3Rsid.jpg

Reply 253 of 318, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm fairly certain the DDR cards were only 150MHz on the memory. Unless you want it to go to 166 for a different reason.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/429/2

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database

Reply 254 of 318, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Am I the only one here with an ELSA Erazor X SDR?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 255 of 318, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A guy near by had an IBM Aptiva PIII-700/133 for sale with a TNT2 M64 card, which i picked up for about 60$. Not a particularly good price, but old hardware is rare around here.

When i came home with it, i found that the graphics card was a CT6970 Creative Annihilator and not another shitty M64 😀 (picture attached) Exactly the card i wanted for this machine, so this saves me a lot of eBay browsing.

Attachments

• 2017-09-10 21.28.07.jpg
    Filename
    2017-09-10 21.28.07.jpg
    File size
    2.65 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 256 of 318, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That actually is the Annihilator Pro with the DDR memory I believe.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 257 of 318, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
s0ren wrote:

When i came home with it, i found that the graphics card was a CT6970 Creative Annihilator and not another shitty M64 😀 (picture attached) Exactly the card i wanted for this machine, so this saves me a lot of eBay browsing.

I bought a M64 off a guy for 10 bucks and a SB16 for 10 as well and when I tested the M64 it turned out to be a TNT2 Pro. W00t.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 258 of 318, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Fusion wrote:
s0ren wrote:

I bought a M64 off a guy for 10 bucks and a SB16 for 10 as well and when I tested the M64 it turned out to be a TNT2 Pro. W00t.

TNT2 Pro is rare now?

I payed like $10 for mine which has DVI instead of VGA which I assume makes it more rare than regular pros. A 32MB Pro is basically an Ultra -10MHZ. Add that 10MHZ back and they should in theory be the exact same.

Ultra's aren't even that hard to find if you know what to look for. I paid $14 for mine (a Gateway OEM)

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction