VOGONS

Are GeForce 256 DDR cards that rare?

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 318, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm pretty excited about getting this! Only $35 USD for a bunch of worthless cards, a 128MB Matrox Parhelia, and what appears to be a Dell Geforce256 DDR 64MB like The Serpent Rider's!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222558674735?_mwBanner=1

$_1.JPG

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 181 of 318, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fitzpatr wrote:

I'm pretty excited about getting this! Only $35 USD for a bunch of worthless cards, a 128MB Matrox Parhelia, and what appears to be a Dell Geforce256 DDR 64MB like The Serpent Rider's!

Insane pickup if it works. I would confirm with seller to ship with each piece individually wrapped, at least with 2 pieces of cardboard taped to each side.

Reply 182 of 318, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fitzpatr wrote:

If it works, jackpot!

https://www.youtube.com/c/PixelPipes
Graphics Card Database

Reply 183 of 318, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:
And someone was naive enough to actually buy it for that price. Regret will be real probably. […]
Show full quote

And someone was naive enough to actually buy it for that price. Regret will be real probably.

Moving on here's some fun fact: GeForce 256 DDR chips can be found on some SDR cards.

ASUS V6600 with DDR chip.jpg
ASUS V6600 chip closeup.jpg

Isn't this the ASUS's custom GeForce with SGRAM?

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 186 of 318, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hi guys, i got this card. i use it in my 1999 rig.

originally i planned a bx based computer with ghz p3 (the fastest in slot1) and with the gf2gts, but i stepped back to 1999, the first geforce was the big step. i build more bundles and computers, and compared the speed. that means i didn't compared directly the cards, i compared the "ages".

here is it:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eXksI … dit?usp=sharing

IMG_20170417_213827.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170417_213827.jpg
File size
876.11 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 188 of 318, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I got a Creative 3DBlaster Annihilator Pro/CT6970 in mint condition... Tell me that it's a Geforce 256 DDR, isn't it? 😲

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 189 of 318, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
psychz wrote:

Today I got a Creative 3DBlaster Annihilator Pro/CT6970 in mint condition... Tell me that it's a Geforce 256 DDR, isn't it? 😲

Aye, 'tis.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 191 of 318, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope, got it locally for 1€ 🤣 Wasn't looking for one, appeared to me just as an old AGP video card in good shape so I got it among other cards (stuff like RealMagic Hollywood+, some SB16/Vibras etc).

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 192 of 318, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dexvx wrote:

I've gotten 2x FX5800's before seeing a GF256 DDR at a reasonable price. 🙁

My experience has been the opposite. I've seen GF256 DDR cards multiple times but have yet to encounter an FX 5800 Ultra.

Graphics Card Database

Reply 193 of 318, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And why anyone would want to own an FX5800 Dustbuster is beyond me.. The only reason that card would be rare in a sane and rational world is because every previous owner burned theirs in shame and self loathing..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 194 of 318, by Reputator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

And why anyone would want to own an FX5800 Dustbuster is beyond me.. The only reason that card would be rare in a sane and rational world is because every previous owner burned theirs in shame and self loathing..

I'm sure every card that wasn't thrown out or destroyed is sitting on a collector's shelf or in a closet. Because like hell anybody's going to actually be using it on a frequent basis.

Also I'm one of the irrational ones. It's my most wanted card right now.

Graphics Card Database

Reply 195 of 318, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FX 5800 Ultra were produced for a very limited time and only as reference boards from Nvidia. Add to that horrible production quality of Samsung memory, which killed a lot of them early on.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 197 of 318, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
dexvx wrote:

I've gotten 2x FX5800's before seeing a GF256 DDR at a reasonable price. 🙁

Dude? How? I can't find one fx5800

Just regularly checking eBay. I found that FX 5800 Ultra while I was having dinner outside. I would've been so angry if my slow cell phone was the cause of me not getting it. Price was really good (IMO), mostly because seller listed it as 'parts/not working' because he could not test. As I've said (in a poor way and caused some people to be pissed off), you either pay lots of money or you spend lots of time (with sheer luck). I spend at least 15 hours/week crawling through eBay and locally. On HardOCP (modern computer enthusiast forum), some guy spent about a half year looking for a FX 5800 Ultra, bumping up the price slowly. I think he got it end of 2016, and the price was somewhere around $350. IIRC, he got a BFG Asylum fully boxed (not sure how much that guy actually paid for it).

I've seen a few GeForce 256 DDR's go for cheap in Europe. Had trouble with my Asus V6800 filter for whatever reason and only saw them after the fact. I surmised that in a regular auction, they would go for around $100 USD, bare card. I got laughed at over here. Low and behold that Creative Annihilator Pro sold for $79 BIN (shipping was $25 to US, but I imagine Europe to be $10) in a few days.

Reply 198 of 318, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm actually quite impressed that this guy (GoodOldMemories) has collected so many boxed items. Here's an Asus V6800 GeForce 256 DDR 32MB boxed and all accessories.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GeForce-256-DDR-ASUS- … M-/272793804599

Reply 199 of 318, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"It's interesting to have one to complete your nvidia lineup if you collect, but it's not really worth using. A geforce 2 MX400 will perform similarly and is much easier to source."

Not really worth using.. This is the thing about Nvidia cards. Put it in the context of 3dfx, people still use the V2, V3, V5 in different systems, nobody ever says 'not really worth using', they all have their charm points and it's not all about FPS and performance. Why can't Geforce have its charm points? Can't people appreciate their games being rendered by the worlds first 'GPU'? Isn't that special? Where as the Geforce MX was the cheap-ass version that poor kids like us could afford, but drooled after the full-power Geforce line.