VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can get one of these two cards, but I can't seem to understand the difference between them and their memory configurations.. The photos of each card are below:

19_zps4y1eixfa.jpg

20_zpshywamfoq.jpg

Is one better than the other?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Get the 2nd that has more vram and could also be faster because of the later "gpu"

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But an S3 Virge/DX would be better than either of them, right?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe it will be slightly faster in 2D operations (and ofcourse adds the "3D" ability but that's not really an advantage in this case)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 5, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

Get the 2nd that has more vram and could also be faster because of the later "gpu"

Wrong 😉 2nd one is lowcost version using system memory share to increase its memory size. It have 4 chips, but only 1MB of memory and maximum is 1.5MB. If he get somewhere another chips, then can have 2MB of memory with 1st one....

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 5 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ wow!
and there I was thinking that the higher part number meant better IC. Good to know about UV+ cards 😀