VOGONS

First post, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have two cards marked VIDEO-228PCI-TW which google tells me is the JATON GeForce FX 5200. The 64-bit card but with 128mb vram.

I drop them into a machine with a fresh 98SE install and with the default Windows driver they work albeit at 16 colors and 640x480. My problem comes when I try to load the driver.
Using drivers from here (only drivers after March 11 2005 seem to download) I install the driver, reboot and the machine hangs at the Windows 98 splash screen.
Reboot in safe mode, remove the driver via Device Manager, reboot again and try installing the driver again when I hit the Found New Hardware window after login. Windows starts loading the driver, then locks up.
Swap in the other card in case this one is bad. Everything is the same as above.

Download and reinstall the driver from the source above again. No difference. What gives? 😕

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 1 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In theory, you can press F8 when "Starting Windows 98..." appears and from the menu select the bootlog.txt option, but that probably won't tell you much that is useful.

Have you installed any motherboard or chipset drivers in this fresh 98SE install?

It might be worth trying to use HIMEMX in your config.sys, but otherwise I can only suggest trying to find different drivers.

If you just want to check whether the hardware is defective (which might be a good idea), then try a "live" Linux distribution loaded from a bootable CD or USB drive.

Reply 2 of 7, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't seem to recall if there were updated drivers from Intel when you ran 98 on the 440BX chipset.
Would you by chance know where to find a different source of drivers?

Reply 4 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Get driver 45.23. Drivers beyond 56.64 can cause freezes and BSODs on older motherboard chipsets like 440BX. 45.23 also tends to work best with pre-DirectX 9 games.

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/nvidia-window … er-archive.html

Reply 5 of 7, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Perhaps the website of your motherboard's manufacturer..?

Not that easy. It's an SBC that was sold under different brands.

IMG_7475.jpg

Teknor Applicom T946...or Kontron PCI-946?

Neither OEM seems to want to admit this existed and thus have no documentation or drivers available but Windows at least seemed to be fine with it. It detected and loaded drivers for everything onboard, including the ethernet chipset.

Get driver 45.23. Drivers beyond 56.64 can cause freezes and BSODs on older motherboard chipsets like 440BX. 45.23 also tends to work best with pre-DirectX 9 games.

Grabbed the driver you suggested and here's what I noticed:
The moment the driver loads its video BIOS signs on (fyi, I'm running off the video output on the board above, and No, doing any of the above wile running directly off the cards in question changes nothing) and for a brief second you get told that Windows has initialized the driver and the screen is clean. Half a second later the image corrupts and the machine locks.

IMG_7495.jpg

It does it on both cards. For the hell of it I also tried different PCI slots.