VOGONS

First post, by Mr-486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to identify these cards and what they were used for/by. There are two cards.

FAST Multimedia AG:

card2.png
Filename
card2.png
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File comment
FAST Multimedia AG
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
DSC07317.JPG
Filename
DSC07317.JPG
File size
2.39 MiB
Views
File comment
FAST details
File license
The attachment DSC07318.JPG is no longer available

There is a sticker on the back with reference to FAST SMII 22a BMK 102858 21362 43

Iterated Systems Card:

DSC07319.JPG
Filename
DSC07319.JPG
File size
2.14 MiB
Views
File comment
Iterated Systems Detail
File license
card1.png
Filename
card1.png
File size
2.39 MiB
Views
File comment
Iterated Systems
File license

Attachments

• DSC07318.JPG
    Filename
    DSC07318.JPG
    File size
    2.05 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    FAST details 2
    File license

Reply 1 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Judging from the SAA7195 chip this is a video capture card, probably the video connections are on a missing breakout cable. Does it have a VGA port that works? Could also double as a vga.

From the datasheet:

SAA7195A is the core device used in many multimedia PC add-on cards that were designed to demonstrate the
performance of various desktop video chipset from Philips Semiconductors. Typical applications of these cards
are video display and capture in PC environment, image processing in medical and scientific equipment.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 10, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those cards don't replace the normal video card, you need a pass-through video cable so the video you are capturing can be displayed on your monitor (and of course the special software associated with the card). The FAST (known capture card manufacturer) card might have an optional daughterboard for MPEG de/encoding...

Mr-486 wrote:

Video capture on a 486 must have been a fragile affair?

Meh, no, the card does most of the job, plus you were kinda expected to use SCSI hard disks instead of IDE. Just don't expect resolutions above 320x200...

Reply 6 of 10, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mr-486 wrote:

Video capture on a 486 must have been a fragile affair?

Note the i960 CPU on that card - that's got almost as much oomph as a 486 would have had, maybe more.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 8 of 10, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mr-486 wrote:

I plugged them into an ISA equipped pentium PC and powered up to confirm the LEDs on the cards were illuminated.

Apart from that Is there anything useful I can do with them?

Without the correct software that they originally came with or software compatible with them, and of course their drivers, likely not. 😒

If you do manage to track down the drivers, you could check whether they provide hardware MPEG or other video decoding, which could result in better video playback under Windows 3.x.

Reply 9 of 10, by Mr-486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am looking to sell these two cards, If anyone is interested let me know. I can do them for 14 quid (that would be 14 quid and you get both cards) within the UK inc Postage if you are happy to use Paypal.