VOGONS

First post, by codyw1996

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not necessarily for gaming, can it be done in general?
My 286 has a meg of ram runs DOS 5,0 and has a 16 bit ISA slot.

I just wanted to see how fast I could push pixels on my new 286.

i've done it in DOSBox with my test program that I wrote in assembly which just cycles through fullscreen colors without a delay.
At very low cycle rates, I can still update frames pretty quickly but I know from experience that DOSBox cycles do NOT correlate with hardware machine cycles.

Is there a card that supports those resolutions that will work with a 286? I'm buying a vga card anyway.

Reply 1 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any Super VGA card can display at that resolution with that amount of colours (the original VGA standard doesn't support that many colours at that resolution).
Not that I'm necessarily an expert, but it's more of a case of how much onboard memory you have on your graphics card, as opposed to how much system RAM you have.

You can probably get that to run in an XT PC with an 8-bit (Super) VGA card?

Reply 2 of 10, by codyw1996

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay cool. I wasn't sure if my BIOS would support it, but I guess there's no way that anyone else would know that unless they owned and tested my particular computer. (Which is a rare laptop that I ordered from Ukraine, so that's doubtful)

Do you know of a common ISA svga card? Because whenever I search for "svga isa video card" on ebay, the resulting cards are either very cheap, but located in Russia (I'd rather not wait a month for it to show up), or they are ridiculously expensive. Like $200 expensive.

Reply 4 of 10, by codyw1996

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think there's enough space.

Any card that isn't longer than a 16 bit ISA slot, or taller than the bracket should fit fine.

I think i'm gonna go with a Trident 8900D.
It's the cheapest card I could find that definitely supports 640x480 with 256 colors.

Attachments

• IMAG0022.jpg
    Filename
    IMAG0022.jpg
    File size
    2.16 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since your laptop has onboard graphics, you must just check if it can be disabled - most likely in the BIOS (if it is that advanced). Otherwise, you will have to check for jumper settings on the motherboard.
I noticed that the laptop does have a DE-9 external graphics connector (mostly used for CGA, MDA, Hercules & EGA monitors).
Have you checked what type of graphics chipset is installed inside the laptop? Run a utility like NSSI 0.60 to give you a breakdown of the hardware specifications of the laptop.

The 8-bit slot could perhaps be utilised for an 8-bit Sound Blaster 2.0 (if you also want sound).

But, the above is purely based on what you've described and what I could see in the pictures. For example, the slots might be there for a specific purpose and not necessarily for upgrading the graphics or sound.
However, without more information about the particular hardware, it's difficult to say

Last edited by jesolo on 2017-04-01, 20:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the answer to your question depends a bit on what and how You want to do; you can sure set such a gfx card to the desired mode but you may not always have the possibility of displaying more than 1 frame/second or sync your output to refresh/use double buffering;

Reply 7 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi codyw1996, has your card at least 512kb of RAM ? If so, it should support upto 800x600 in 256 colours no problem.
Else you usually can use modes like 640x400@256, 640x480@16 or 800x600@16 colours.

mrau wrote:

the answer to your question depends a bit on what and how You want to do; you can sure set such a gfx card to the desired mode but you may not always have the possibility of displaying more than 1 frame/second or sync your output to refresh/use double buffering;

True.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 10, by codyw1996

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the advise everyone. I payed $15 for a 512k trident 8900D, which I ordered from outside the U.S.
If it ever shows up, I will post an update.

Although, more important at the moment is a floppy or IDE controller, the built in floppy drive is broken and I need to reinstall DOS.

Reply 10 of 10, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Use quickview 1.03 it displays true color tga files in under 5 seconds on a 286 with 10mhz!
It's also the best viewer for PCX-Graphics. If the card supports vesa1.1 in hardware or through
tsr this viewer is very small and VERY powerfull, even on 286 systems. For an XT you have to
go for a differrent viewer. I use Quickview 1.03 even on thy machine in the signature.

By far the best Dos-Gfx viewer. You only need "qv.exe"

Attachments

• Filename
    qv103b.zip
    File size
    56.74 KiB
    Downloads
    69 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines