VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Many older cards like some GeForce 2s, most GeForce 3s & 4s, many of the Radeon 7000s, the Matrox Parhelia and the Voodoo 5 5500 MAC PCI (which can be flashed to work on a PC) had a DVI connector along with a VGA connector. But what was being sent to that DVI connector? In 1999-2000, the analog VGA connector using 0.7v PtP was still the standard, but DVI uses TMDS for a pure 24-bit digital signal. On many boards that have the holes for a DVI connector, there are pads for a chip.

So on the early cards, are these DVI ports being sent true digital signals? Or are they being converted from an analog signal by a special chip? Can these DVI ports display VGA-DOS style resolutions like 320x200?

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The pads are for external TMDS encoders from Silicon Image . AFAIK, the signal path to those encoders was digital . Later on, GPU manufacturers integrated TMDS encoders, so an external TMDS was usually no longer required .

The spec sheet for one such transmitter makes no mention of an ADC, so the signal path was most likely digital .
https://www.semiconductorstore.com/pdf/newsit … e/SiI164_PB.pdf

Reply 2 of 7, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

So on the early cards, are these DVI ports being sent true digital signals? Or are they being converted from an analog signal by a special chip? Can these DVI ports display VGA-DOS style resolutions like 320x200?

I confirm that the DVI ports are sent from digital signals, not converted from analog.
The TMDS link is completely transparent, it will just pass on anything sent to it, as long as it comes from a source with a pixel clock greater than 25.0 MHz, 24 bits per pixel (8 per R,G and B), HSYNC, VSYNC and DATA ENABLE signals. So basically it could replace the DAC.

So yes, 320x200 should be supported by the TMDS portion of the system, if the card allows it (I am sure you already know this, but it is sent as 640x400 format just like over the DAC so pixels and scanlines are doubled).

Reply 4 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So in theory you could get perfect digital captures of SVGA, VGA and any lesser standard supported by the card in question. A few games and many demos may not work because they tweak or manipulate the VGA registers in a non-standard way, but most should be fine.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 5 of 7, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All Matrox G400 cards have an expansion header that can take a DVI daughter card. I have one on my Marvel G400TV and yes, it supports 320x200 modes.

Reply 6 of 7, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NJRoadfan wrote:

All Matrox G400 cards have an expansion header that can take a DVI daughter card. I have one on my Marvel G400TV and yes, it supports 320x200 modes.

Elza has some models with external dvi module as well. Gf2 based afaik

Last edited by anthony on 2017-04-05, 13:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 7, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

So in theory you could get perfect digital captures of SVGA, VGA and any lesser standard supported by the card in question. A few games and many demos may not work because they tweak or manipulate the VGA registers in a non-standard way, but most should be fine.

The most interesting cards for me is voodoo 1. So lowres modes is not issue