VOGONS

First post, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Assuming the bus is standard (PCI/AGP/PCIe)

Does a MAC edition Radeon/GeForce work on normal PC's? Or is there something in the firmware of the video card that may prevent it?

Reply 2 of 9, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Generally it won't work, at least not in Windows or DOS, since those depend on the card's firmware to set it up initially. On a Mac-edition card, that firmware is OpenFirmware fcode or PowerPC machine code, while on a PC-edition card, that's x86 machine code. So, the Mac-edition card's firmware will, at best, not run on a PC. (It may *try* to and freeze the machine at boot, too)

Under Linux and BSD, some Mac edition cards can be used as secondary graphics cards, while some can't - YMMV, and you'll almost certainly have to screw around with it. Anything that tries to touch the firmware/BIOS will not work right while poking the chip directly will. I personally wouldn't bother, and I'd reflash the firmware if you can.

The same thing also applies to PCI cards designed for HP PA-RISC, Itanium, SPARC and Alpha machines.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 3 of 9, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes, for instance my Mac Edition HD4870 works fine in PC's, in general the AGP versions don't but the PCI express versions do.

Reply 4 of 9, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most of the PCIe ones were designed for AMD64 Macs, though, weren't they? If so, they'll have EFI firmware, which should work on a PC with EFI.

Reply 6 of 9, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

Sometimes, for instance my Mac Edition HD4870 works fine in PC's, in general the AGP versions don't but the PCI express versions do.

The PCI-express bus was never used on PowerPC Macs, only on Intel Macs.

Reply 7 of 9, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

Your point, he never specified what type of mac, and just an FYI the Intel MAC's still have a diffrent UEFI boot code, its just that Nvidia and AMD ship their cards as cross compataible.

Reply 8 of 9, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

The Power Mac G5 had PCIe expansion slots, which is why I asked. (There are also other non-AMD64 machines with PCIe, like the newer IBM POWER machines, HP Itaniums, Sun SPARC servers and the Ultra 25/45 workstations, but the cards made for these aren't anything you're liable to trip over in normal use.)

Reply 9 of 9, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jade_angel wrote:
yawetaG wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

The Power Mac G5 had PCIe expansion slots, which is why I asked. (There are also other non-AMD64 machines with PCIe, like the newer IBM POWER machines, HP Itaniums, Sun SPARC servers and the Ultra 25/45 workstations, but the cards made for these aren't anything you're liable to trip over in normal use.)

*checks*

Oh, it's only the multi-core systems that have them...didn't know that. 😊