VOGONS

First post, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First, I'm a software engineer. I have very limited soldering skills. I can do cylindrical caps, but have not tried more than that. So I'm mainly looking for is if I should even bother to repair the damage.

Thanks for any and all input.

First up is a Diamond Voodoo2 8MB. It detects in Windows and can load the driver, but I'm guessing these "fingers" being severed is probably why it won't render anything. These fingers are tiny. I'm guessing I'd have to somewhat straighten them out and solder them onto the traces on the PCB.

jonWEUf.jpg

Second up is a Gainward GF4 Ti4600. Looks like the inductor got severed during S/H. It also seems to be missing the bottom "plate" (not even sure what those are called) it rests on. I'm guessing I have to purchase whatever plate that is (or a new inductor), completely sever the inductor, and solder it back on the PCB.

qLG3PhV.jpg

Reply 2 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, the pins would have to be repaired, realigned, and soldered to the corresponding pads. A tricky and painstaking job, but straightforward unless some legs have been severed. The base on the inductor is there for both mechanical retention and isolation if the bobbin is iron or ferrite. The best option is replacement, but you can try fashioning an insulating plate out of something thin enough. Maybe motherboard fiberglass would work? You could even have the bobbin float on the leads, but a base would be a bit stronger I think.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 6, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use only sharp syringe needle to straighten out pins, I'm surprised that it even got detected by PC, if it didn't short something while it was powered on in that condition, card should work fine after repair. It also looks like few pads were ripped off PCB? In that case, with same sharp syringe needle scrape off mask of corresponding trace ends before aligning pads to them. Begin soldering only when all pins/pads are in place.

Good luck.

Reply 4 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SSTV2 wrote:

Use only sharp syringe needle to straighten out pins

On the underside of a Pentium series chip, I've found that a clean (or even a little dirty) mechanical pencil works decently enough. Dunno if it would work well for that sort of surface mount, and the leads look a little too fine.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 6, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea, I thought the Voodoo2 might be super hard to repair (for me). I'll probably leave that one alone. The leads are about the size of an AWE64 chip leads.

I might try repairing the Ti4600. Does anyone know where to buy that little inductor plate?

Reply 6 of 6, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:

I might try repairing the Ti4600. Does anyone know where to buy that little inductor plate?

You won't be able to buy the plate alone. You'll have to buy the whole inductor, but it should be pretty cheap and you can probably find it in any local electronics shop.