VOGONS

riva tnt2

Topic actions

First post, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a riva tnt2 where as age the fan has stop working properly so the question is, could i just ad a heatsink without fan? i mean is the fan necessary? since i haven seen tnt2 without fan.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 1 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Short answer: yes.
Long answer: depends on core clocks, TNT2 model and heatsink size.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 7, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About all the riva TNT2 models i have seen, you can say this:

riva TNT2 (core: 125MHz) - some models have heatsink + fan, some have heatsink only.
riva TNT2 pro (core: 143MHz) - some models have heatsink + fan, some have heatsink only.
riva TNT2 ultra (core: 150MHz) - all models have heatsink + fan.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 3 of 7, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just add a new fan to it

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 5 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it used to use a fan, a good rule of thumb is that it actually needs it. There were however some GF MX cards that basically had a fan along with a terrible "heat sink" which might make due with a larger passive heatsink and no fan.

These cards often had 2 openings near the GPU (I know it's not a GPU officially, but for the point of argument) and I've mounted chipset heatsinks to a couple such graphics cards in the past (the ones with the push pins)
I was mostly experimenting, but you could opt to replace the heatsink with a larger one and then add a fan. Or just add a fan.

There are other options like underclocking your card, but I'd think adding a fan back is the best option. And like what has already been mentioned, it will prolong the life of your parts and make for a more stable rig 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 7, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try putting a few drops of machine oil in the fan's lubrication well (under the sticker). I was able to revive my TNT2 Ultra's fan this way. On my card, a Diamond Viper V770U, the heatsink is thermal expoxied to the chip, so replacing it would have been a lot more work.

PCGames9505

Reply 7 of 7, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something that has always baffled me with the TNT2m64 in particular (I don't own an actual TNT2) is that some of them get extremely hot, while others barely get warm.

For example, I have an XFX/Pine TNT2m64, that gets almost untouchably hot, and an Inno3D TNT2m64 that barely gets warm. Does anyone know why this is.

Another example is the standard Geforce 2MX. Some have heatsinks and can get hot, while others don't have heatsinks and barely get warm.

Clock speeds don't appear to play a significant role in it either, since the cards I've compared are running at very similar, or identical clocks.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA