VOGONS

First post, by pcwizard7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a retro pc build that has based on Aopen AX6BC motherboard and i wanted a voodoo and nvidia combo So i have a voodoo bashee 16mb AGP x2, voodoo 3 3000 16mb AGP x2 and nvidia FX 5500 256MB PCI

now the voodoo cards on there own work fine but as soon as i add the nvidia card the pc will not boot or show any display. Take the nvidia card out and it runs normally

So i need a solution where either we can get it work with nvidia fx 5500 or recommend another voodoo / nvidia combo?

In choosing this combo i want the best i can get based on what i can use i.e

AGP: x2/ x4 that can run at x2
PCI
ISA

THANKS in Advance

Reply 1 of 24, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My thought here is probably an nVidia Quadro2 Pro (or GeForce2 GTS) AGP with a 3dfx Voodoo3 2000 PCI, however, there are a few other options.

Working with what you have, does the machine boot with only the nVidia card?

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 2 of 24, by pcwizard7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jade_angel wrote:

My thought here is probably an nVidia Quadro2 Pro (or GeForce2 GTS) AGP with a 3dfx Voodoo3 2000 PCI, however, there are a few other options.

Working with what you have, does the machine boot with only the nVidia card?

It won't boot at all with just nvidia card its PCI version so it doesn't like it for some reason? As it works in more modern machine

I also have voodoo 2 PCI Card in my pentium 4 machine

Is GeForce2 the beat as i said we have either AGP x2 / x4 (that can slow down to x2), Standard PCI and ISA

Reply 3 of 24, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could probably use a GeForce4 or GeForce FX. I don't think the AGP versions of the 6600/6800 series will work.

Basically, you have a few limiting factors here: AGP 4x means that most (all?) AGP 8x cards won't work, IIRC. Your CPU is at best a Pentium III 1.4GHz (with a slocket). If you go with PCI for the 3dfx card, that means the Voodoo3 is the latest you can use; IIRC all Voodoo5 cards are AGP. (Voodoo4 is just a neutered Voodoo5).

What games are you aiming to play? That will determine whether you're looking to build a mostly-3dfx rig, or a mostly-nvidia one. While it's possible (in theory) to use a Voodoo5 AGP with a PCI GeForce FX, I'm not sure why you'd want to.

Reply 4 of 24, by pcwizard7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jade_angel wrote:

You could probably use a GeForce4 or GeForce FX. I don't think the AGP versions of the 6600/6800 series will work.

Basically, you have a few limiting factors here: AGP 4x means that most (all?) AGP 8x cards won't work, IIRC. Your CPU is at best a Pentium III 1.4GHz (with a slocket). If you go with PCI for the 3dfx card, that means the Voodoo3 is the latest you can use; IIRC all Voodoo5 cards are AGP. (Voodoo4 is just a neutered Voodoo5).

What games are you aiming to play? That will determine whether you're looking to build a mostly-3dfx rig, or a mostly-nvidia one. While it's possible (in theory) to use a Voodoo5 AGP with a PCI GeForce FX, I'm not sure why you'd want to.

I d mostly be playing 1990-2001 games basely windows 95/98 era games with real dos mode for DOS Games I don't plan on playing windows 2000 era games that be for my xp machine

I mainly want nvidia made games and use voodoo for late 80/ early 90 Dos games since in some games the voodoo card can make old games have better textures less blocky as u know

Reply 5 of 24, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, given that use case, I'd go with either:

1) A fairly powerful nVidia card (GeForce 2/3/4 or Quadro equivalent) plus either 2x Voodoo2 SLI, or Voodoo3 2000 PCI for Glide games
2) Voodoo3 3500 or Voodoo5 5500 AGP alone. The only nVidia-specific games I'm aware of used the NV1, and those are rare as hen's teeth. Riva 128 and later used Direct3D and OpenGL, which can also be used on the V3/V5. Voodoo5 is the better card, but it's hard to find, expensive and power-hungry.

Incidentally, in DOS games that don't use Glide, a Voodoo of any description won't help much at all (late 80s/early 90s stuff uses VGA/SVGA); however, the Voodoo3 is a very good 2D card for DOS games. Won't look any better than a Quadro, but it's pretty darn quick and has no real compatibility issues.

Reply 6 of 24, by pcwizard7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Before i made this post i have ordered a JATON GeForce MX4000 128MB 64-Bit DDR PCI Video Card Video-208PCI-128TV to try it out how would u think this one will go when it gets to me? Its in GeForce4 Family

I ll check if i can find the cards you meation in mean time

Reply 7 of 24, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The GeForce MX4?? series are actually gussied-up GeForce2 variants, but they're actually not half bad. It's just worth remembering that they were the inexpensive series at the time. But, that should work fine. What CPU are you using, BTW? That'll matter a lot.

Reply 8 of 24, by pcwizard7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Best nvidia card i found is nVidia GeForce4MX 440 Ver E 128MB DDR TV-OUT AGP Graphics Card its x4 can it run x2?

With voodoo cards i could only find low AGPs and 1 voodoo 3 3500 AGP 16mb. We could use my voodoo 2 PCI from my p4 as its not really needed in it?

Thanks

Reply 9 of 24, by pcwizard7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jade_angel wrote:

The GeForce MX4?? series are actually gussied-up GeForce2 variants, but they're actually not half bad. It's just worth remembering that they were the inexpensive series at the time. But, that should work fine. What CPU are you using, BTW? That'll matter a lot.

My cpu is pentium 3 s1 800 Mghz FSB 100Mghz. What would be best GeForce4 that can run at AGP x4 which can run x2

Reply 10 of 24, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure why you'd need a card that can run at AGP 2x when you have a 4x slot, but any GeForce 2/3/4/FX will fit the bill AFAIK. With a P3/800, the MX440 is probably fine - not too many games will be bottlenecked by that, that wouldn't also be held back by the CPU.

Reply 11 of 24, by pcwizard7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jade_angel wrote:

I'm not sure why you'd need a card that can run at AGP 2x when you have a 4x slot, but any GeForce 2/3/4/FX will fit the bill AFAIK. With a P3/800, the MX440 is probably fine - not too many games will be bottlenecked by that, that wouldn't also be held back by the CPU.

I want a card to run x2 AGP because aopen website said its x2 slot but there were x4 card that were backwards

http://global.aopen.com/products_detail.aspx?auno=299

According this the site below the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro or a GeForce FX5950 Ultra were the last confirmed AGP 2X 3.3V capable cards.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=294567

But id like a high end GeForce4 card but also need to be able to run x2 agp 3.3V? So if you could list mid to high end GeForce4?

Reply 12 of 24, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, I see what you mean. I thought you were saying that the board had an AGP 4x slot that would work with 2x cards (which most if not all 4x slots will, IIRC).

GeForce 4 lineup: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_4_series

Reply 13 of 24, by pcwizard7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jade_angel wrote:

Oh, I see what you mean. I thought you were saying that the board had an AGP 4x slot that would work with 2x cards (which most if not all 4x slots will, IIRC).

I look around on the net and found a geforce4 Ti4600 AGP x4 and based on the research i found it should be able to run at x2 as well and work in x2 3.3V Motherboard.

Research Infor

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

I also read the FX Series didn't work well with p3s but great with AMD Athlon

the only thing that worry me about the card is brand name i ve never heard of them: CHAINTECH?
also if i get this card to work is it worth putting in the voodo 2 PCI Card i have in P4 in p3?
Also i may need to oil the fan or replace it so do you know the right oil or replacement fan for that card?

thanks

Reply 14 of 24, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Chaintech is a reliable enough brand. They're defunct now but were fine in their day.

As for the Voodoo2, your call. Do you care about Glide games? Yes? Use it. No? Don't bother.

Oil, try 3-in-1 Motor oil, marked for electric motors.

Reply 15 of 24, by pcwizard7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jade_angel wrote:

Oil, try 3-in-1 Motor oil, marked for electric motors.

If i could find replacement fan what should i look for? It looks like a 2 screw from the image?

The 4600. TI is best AGP I could get for this board so i luck out there and wanted to say thanks for sticking with me and helping out

Thanks

Reply 16 of 24, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't seem to have the image you're talking about, and I don't have the right fan specs for every card made memorized, so I really don't know. It's not that hard to find fans that will work, though.

Reply 17 of 24, by pcwizard7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jade_angel wrote:

I don't seem to have the image you're talking about, and I don't have the right fan specs for every card made memorized, so I really don't know. It's not that hard to find fans that will work, though.

I found a cooler fan that saids it works with 4600 ti but can't find place to buy but naybe you could recommend one based on this one

http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/96

Here image of the card
images682322.jpg

Thanks

Reply 18 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pcwizard7 wrote:
I look around on the net and found a geforce4 Ti4600 AGP x4 and based on the research i found it should be able to run at x2 as […]
Show full quote
jade_angel wrote:

I look around on the net and found a geforce4 Ti4600 AGP x4 and based on the research i found it should be able to run at x2 as well and work in x2 3.3V Motherboard.

Research Infor

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

I also read the FX Series didn't work well with p3s but great with AMD Athlon

the only thing that worry me about the card is brand name i ve never heard of them: CHAINTECH?
also if i get this card to work is it worth putting in the voodo 2 PCI Card i have in P4 in p3?
Also i may need to oil the fan or replace it so do you know the right oil or replacement fan for that card?

thanks

For oiling fan bearings, after trying a few different things, including 3-in-1, I have settled on a single drop of full synthetic motor oil for small fans. My brand of choice is Mobile-1, but any synthetic will work fine. I usually have 5w-20 or 10w-30 around and either works fine. You don't have to worry about it drying up like petroleum based oils will do over time.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19 of 24, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm really not sure. I'd have to go Google-diving, which, since you have the card in front of you, you can do more easily than me.