VOGONS

First post, by bullis1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello folks. I've lurked this forum for years and soaked up lots of great information. However I'm now having a problem that my search skills can't solve. Hopefully I'm going about this the right way.

My Windows 95 PC contains a Voodoo 2 which I have used with the FastVoodooII 4.6 drivers for a long time. Recently I had to reset my BIOS. This made my motherboard's integrated graphics appear to Windows again, which somehow messed thing up and I had to reinstall my video drivers. Basically, my Voodoo 2 control panel went missing and was overridden by the ATi control panels, among other things. Here is what I did to fix things:
-uninstalled the integrated graphics driver and disabled it
-uninstalled my main video card drivers (Rage II+) and reinstalled
-uninstalled Voodoo 2 drivers and reinstalled

Everything appeared to go without a hitch except that the Voodoo 2 still doesn't work. The card installs fine, but the control panel won't and no games see the card. I'm aware this is a somewhat classic and well-known issue with 3DFX cards. My attempts to solve:
-go into safe mode and remove all references to 3DFX, Voodoo, and Glide from the registry, as well as removing existing inf files from my system. Things look promising when I go to reinstall but I end up with the same issue.
-use EasyCleaner - won't run for same reason even with WinSock 2 update. The splash screen briefly pops up but then the machine becomes unresponsive
-use Driver Cleaner 2.7, which is the recommended fix. This errors out on me, with runtime error 453. "Can't find DLL entry point EnumDisplayDevicesA in user32" The docs claim this program works on Windows 95 but this error implies to me that it requires Win98...
-tried the official 3DFX uninstallers. They appear to work at first but they don't actually remove much from the registry at all and I end up with the same problem.

So folks, any tips for me at all? Is there any definitive way to accomplish this on Windows 95? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply 1 of 3, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, did you remember to disable the on board card in the BIOS again? Also, you could remove the drivers the best you can, and try moving the V2 to another PCI slot if possible.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 2 of 3, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Second that...

Put it in a different slot and use a completely different driver (diamond, official, whatever).

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 3 of 3, by bullis1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the advice.

The on-board graphics are disabled.

The motherboard only has 2 PCI slots. The other is taken up by the Rage II+. I doubt the Voodoo II will fit in the other slot, due to the configuration of the case (it's an Aptiva with IBM's typical overabundance of steel brackets everywhere, leaving few options for the placement of long cards). I will check on this tonight.