VOGONS

First post, by enloop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is weird 😕
The last change I have made was doing a thorough search on scandisk and defragging the entire HDD afterwards.
I've noticed now that the other monitor I have hooked up wasn't displaying anything.
Under the settings tab in display properties it shows that the "Extend my Windows desktop Onto this monitor."
box is checked yet the screen on the monitor is blank but it is lit up in the way that the monitor knows it's
receiving input because of the Hz shown on the screen in the monitor's menu as well as the resolution matching
what the computer is trying to output.

When I uncheck the box it comes on....But there's quite a few problems with leaving it like this:

For one, the monitor is not "extending" anything but mirroring exactly what I see on my laptop which is counterproductive and pointless. Secondly since it can only mirror the settings of the laptop, it is limited to the internal settings of the laptop's own monitor capabilities i.e. I am stuck using shitty 1024 by 768 pixels instead of 1280 by 1024 that my monitor is capable of doing though it would let me select 1280 by 1024 when I have the monitor enabled but it's just not putting anything out onto the screen.

Does anyone know what settings/files I may need to replace or tweak to possibly get this fixed?..
I tried reinstalling the driver for used for my monitor as well as the one used by the video adapter. What could have gone wrong?? 🙁
I would provide pictures but it seems so pointless.... I kind of explained it pretty well imo but if you guys want to see just holler.

Reply 2 of 4, by enloop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right I forgot other people use different ones.. I'm on Win98SE. I don't know how it can be the video card because this seems like an on and off switch just switched places so I'm looking into what registry handles that if there is.

Reply 3 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It appears to work as intended. When 'extend' is unchecked, the output is mirrored. When it is checked, it produces a different output to the internal and external screens. Only the external is blank in your case, which is why I think there is some video card / driver issue. I never tried extended output with Windows 98 SE to know for sure how it is supposed to work.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 4, by enloop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well.. We may never know now. Randomly today I just checked up to see if it would behave differently when I change the settings. I 'enabled' the second monitor and voila! The second monitor actually is displaying properly and even the resolution can be changed no problem. I don't know if it plays any role because it can be merely coincidental- I changed the settings in the appearance tab found in the display properties back to 'Windows standard' from what I was previously using right before I decided to check the other settings with the monitor. Who knows! I'm just posting this as reference for anybody who may ever get this issue... I'm happy.