VOGONS

First post, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

Currently I'm rocking an AGP Voodoo3 3000 in my PC and it works great, but I also have a TI4200 and a Radeon 9800 PRO on the sidelines which I'd like to use for non Glide games. In an ideal world I'd get a PCI Voodoo3, but I can't for the life of me find one for a reasonable price. So now I've turned my attention to possible picking up a PCI Geforce card like an FX5200 or something similar. I'd just like to hear thoughts on the PCI cards since I know already the FX series of gpus isn't exactly well regarded.

Any help would be grand.

In terms of performance I will only be looking to play stuff around the Quake 2/Half Life era, anything newer than that I won't play on this machine. The Voodoo3 on it's own copes relatively well, but I have a nice 120hz screen that I'd like to make the most of.

Reply 1 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To be honest you are better off building or finding a second system like a pentium 4 rig but you can just find a office toaster as they are still dirt cheap or even free like all those Dells to use with those two higher end cards you have.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 7, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That bad huh? I would ultimately consider getting a second PC down the line, but right now I just don't have the room for anything more. I was hoping something like an FX5500 would be acceptable for Quake2 etc.

Reply 3 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could just use what you have and when you want to run glide games consider giving nglide a try with the 9800. This is why I like having multiple system as I get to have choice.
Voodoo 2 isn't a bad option but they are getting to be expensive and there are fewer and fewer cheap ones around.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 7, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try an Nvidia Quadro4 100 NVS. It's basically a PCI version of the GeForce4 MX440 SE, geared for workstation use. I have a couple and they handle Windows 98 games well. The silent cooler is nice, and power consumption is very low. Forceware 45.23 is a good fit for these.

There aren't too many on eBay at the moment, but I've seen large lots sold for less than $10 a piece.

PCGames9505

Reply 5 of 7, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hilariously enough I ran a PCI Geforce FX 5500 for the longest time, with an early Pentium 4. It worked... Mostly. At lower res and with DX8.1 or older games.

Edit: I also ran Half-Life on a PCI Radeon 9250 and that ran okay.