VOGONS

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to capture and post this guide from THG in case the review decides to vanish one day. Take notice of the placement of VRM components as well the clock crystal as many GF3 cards do look alike just in the guide and this applies to many oem cards while some of the third party cards are noticeably different.

GF3 Ti 200 is the slowest of the series while the older GF3 is about 10% slower than the Ti 500, GF Ti 200 can be had cheaply for around $10 to 20 USD if one shops around. GF3 can be had from a range of prices but expect $30 to $40 easy while some it is higher. The Ti 500 is more rare and one has to know how to spot them should there be a chance to buy one cheap as one doesn't just have to go by part numbers alone from like from Dell, HP, Compaq, or even IBM.

SOLKQKs.png

The same as above applies in different ways to hunting GF2 era cards though clearly the pcb and component layouts are different. Would do a Geforce 256 hunting guide but need to get more familiar with their designs without being confused with other cards.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1 of 2, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fantastic, thanks for sharing!

I had a look at my GF3 Ti 500 and your description is spot on.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 2, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm jealous Phil! I only have two older cards, a Voodoo 3 3000 16MB and a TNT2 Pro 32MB. The TNT is not as fast as I liked, barely matching the V3 in Quake 3 tests. But I bought it and identified it wrong thinking it was a M64. 😵 So I guess it could have been worse.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME