VOGONS

First post, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I sniped an Integraph Intense 3D off eBay for a (what I think is) reasonable cost. I put it in my main Windows 98 test rig (Asus P4S533). It boots up fine and the Windows 98 splash screen even shows up. Problem is the splash screen just seems to load indefinitely (it doesn't seem to have crashed, as the little bar on the bottom is "moving"). I can boot into safe mode just fine. I moved the Rush around to 3 different PCI slots. I can replace the Rush and put in any other compatible GPU and it's fine. Any suggestions? Only thing I can think of is using an older board (maybe an Asus TUSL2?).

Reply 2 of 11, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think AGP settings can affect this... Rush is using PCI. Also it is possible P4S533 is too fast for Rush to work properly, Pentium 1/2 should be perfectly fine, anything faster... who knows. 😀 And one more thing - I remember some Rush artifacting in 2D mode (desktop), while running perfectly in 3D. Perhaps it can be driver related, I'm not sure, never used rush longer that few minutes for testing, it is the worst 3dfx HW. 😀

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 3 of 11, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
havli wrote:

never used rush longer that few minutes for testing, it is the worst 3dfx HW. 😀

Maybe you should have used it longer than a few minutes. It's actually a good card. While it is slightly slower than the original Voodoo Graphics, it has a lot of advantages: no loop cable and hence no fuzzy 2d picture, no PCI slot wasting for an additional 2d card, no limitation to fullscreen - it supports 3d acceleration in a window too, less cpu demanding due to integrated triangle engine.

I used a Hercules Stingray 128/3D and never regretted buying it back then.

Reply 4 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a Intense 3D Voodoo many years ago and it definitely did not have sharp VGA output. I also could not get the Voodoo component to work for some reason. It would immediately freeze. I figured it was defective or damaged.

I think the ideal approach would be to try it on a Pentium or Pentium MMX system. If it doesn't work there.....

Reply 5 of 11, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Try setting AGP to 2x or 1x in the BIOS.

Dude 🤣 its pci

OP I think your system is too fast for this card given that it tops out on Pentium 1 and 2 era systems because of the 2D side of the card is a bottleneck. Got two of these myself and they really are suited for slower systems, going to use one in a socket 4 system someday.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 11, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have a Voodoo 1 that I've tested on the P4S533, and it works without a problem. The slowest 'good' system I have is an Asus P2B/Celeron 300a. I can try it there.

I also have an Asus TX97/P166 MMX, but for some reason, the RTC is broken (whenever I set the clock, it refuses to POST). Not that you need a RTC to install an OS, but it just annoys me.

Reply 7 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

no loop cable and hence no fuzzy 2d picture

I'm not so sure that's a thing that can happen. Regardless, you can overcome that hurdle just by manually swapping your monitor cable around when needed.

Reply 8 of 11, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd recommend to boot into DOS and start the Tomb Raider 3Dfx demo. if the game starts after the splash screen, the card itself is OK. Please note the Tomb Raider 3Dfx Demo doesn't have bilinear filtering with the Rush (can be patched in the full version of the game.

Hint: The demo can be found if you search for "tomb3dem.zip"

P.S: Rush cards are fine cards, especially in systems with a weaker CPU.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 10 of 11, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes it does.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 11 of 11, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Maybe you should have used it longer than a few minutes. It's actually a good card. While it is slightly slower than the original Voodoo Graphics, it has a lot of advantages: no loop cable and hence no fuzzy 2d picture, no PCI slot wasting for an additional 2d card, no limitation to fullscreen - it supports 3d acceleration in a window too, less cpu demanding due to integrated triangle engine.

I used a Hercules Stingray 128/3D and never regretted buying it back then.

Well, VG is not very fast to begin with... so even slower GPU is not really interesting for me. I never had problems with pass-thru cables. Sure some of them are better and others worse, but I've always managed to find a decent one. Playing 3D accelereated games in windowed mode... ugh, actually I can't remember a single moment playing non-full screen. 😀 Less CPU demanding, I always build my retro machines with at least Pentium MMX, so no CPU limit for Rush/V1 either (swapping V1 for V2 allows me to run the same games at twice the fps in the very same PC). And saving one PCI slot can help sometimes, but once again no problem for me, as my setup usually looks like this: PCI 2D VGA + V1/2 + LAN + ISA sound (most boards have at least 3 PCI slots). 😀 Hercules Stingray 128/3D is probably the best Rush design, at least the single PCB variant.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware