VOGONS

First post, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good afternoon.

I've received a Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo 2 card, and didn't catch a gouge in the board from any of the photos. It looks like some traces were intentionally modified. Or an attempt was made, anyway. Pic included. Is it possible to repair this kind of damage?

20170519_154256.jpg
Filename
20170519_154256.jpg
File size
3.53 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 1 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it's easy, first check for continuity since it can be the case only the lacquer is scratched. They find the 2 points that trace connects together and use some kynar wire to re-connect them.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 8, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a moment I thought that somebody brought up my post with similar name 😢. If those traces are actually cut, test it in that condition and report results, it won't damage the card, worst case scenario would be hanging games on start up or weird texturing problems.

Last edited by SSTV2 on 2018-06-28, 13:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The current state: system boots, but nothing can detect the card. Latest Glide drivers all say the same thing.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 4 of 8, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At first I thought that those traces lead to memory, but they actually connect FBI with TMU0, must be a part of address/data bus for main ICs. Card with such damage should still be detected by PC, check if there are no bent and shorting pins on FBI. Also, use reference drivers when you are not sure if card is working as they are stable and easy to install/uninstall.

Last edited by SSTV2 on 2018-06-28, 13:49. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 8, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SSTV2 wrote:

At first I thought that those traces lead to memory, but they actually connect FBI with TMU0, must be a part of address/data bus for main ICs. Card with such damage should still be detected by PC, check if there are no bent and shorting pins on FBI. Also, use reference drivers when you are not sure if card is working as they are stable and easy to install/uninstall.

The card is currently being used in a pure DOS context. What's the best way to test?

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 7 of 8, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOS is not ideal environment for testing, you need to be absolutely sure that card is being detected by OS and is properly installed, only then you will know whether glide/d3d applications doesn't work because of software or hardware issues, on a GUI based OS is much simpler to see that. I'd suggest you to put card in PC with Win9x or WinNT based OS and run "Donut" tech demo, it allows to tinker with many hardware features of the card, + you will also be able to easily change environment variables in registry or batch file on the run, if needed.

Reply 8 of 8, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:

It should still be detected as PnP Multimedia device in BIOS.

I'm not sure what to look for. BIOS allows me to configure which resources are allowed for PnP allocation, but I don't see a list anywhere.

SSTV2 wrote:

DOS is not ideal environment for testing, you need to be absolutely sure that card is being detected by OS and is properly installed, only then you will know whether glide/d3d applications doesn't work because of software or hardware issues, on a GUI based OS is much simpler to see that. I'd suggest you to put card in PC with Win9x or WinNT based OS and run "Donut" tech demo, it allows to tinker with many hardware features of the card, + you will also be able to easily change environment variables in registry or batch file on the run, if needed.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll throw this card into a machine I can do that with.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA