VOGONS

First post, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This feels a bit wrong to ask here as I'm asking about a modern graphics card rather than a retro one, but I feel like if anyone will know the answer to my question it would be you guys. I'm planing to do a separate PC build for each major OS in order to get the best possible experience out of the games released during that period, and I'm planning those builds to be pretty overkill.

For the Win98SE machine, covering 1995-2001 games, I've decided on FX 5900 Ultra. I currently have a voodoo3 but Im not happy with it, its not powerful enough to completely max out the later games. I thought about the 6800 GT or Ultra as the fastest models with win98 drivers, but those are missing table fog and 8bit palletized texture support, and the FX 5950 Ultra doesn't support the 45.23 driver that I hear is best for those games, so FX 5900 Ultra it is. As a bonus the FX 5900 Ultra has some limited dx9 support, which should mean I might be able to use nglide rather than rely on dgvoodoo and such for glide games.

For the WinXP machine, covering 2001-2007 games plus a few later ones that were obviously not made with Vista in mind, I've decided on GTX 285, my research tells me that this is the fastest nvidia card properly optimized for DX9 games, and while later models up to gtx 700 series have WInXP drivers, they have issues with a few of the older DX8/9 games.

Now, about the Win7 machine, covering about 2007-2016 or so I guess, lets say up to the point where DX12/Vulkan games started releasing more often (I'll build yet another win10 machine for 2016+ games later) I feel like its a good time to plan it out now. With Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen not officially supporting win7 anymore, its pretty obvious what would be the best motherboard and cpu for win7, but its still not clear what would be the best graphics card. Nvidia has not dropped support for Win7 yet, Pascal has win7 drivers and Volta might have win7 drivers too. This machine should be capable of perfectly running DX10 and DX11 games, as well as OpenGL 3 to 4.5. Im fairly sure I'll have no issues with DX11 / OGL games regardless of graphics card choice, but I've been wondering if there's any issues with DX10 games on the latest nvidia models?

Basically this is exactly why I'm posting this thread, I'm wondering if like how even though the 6800 Ultra is the fastest win98 card but the 5900 Ultra is probably the most compatible while still fairly fast, and same with winXP the 780Ti is the fastest but the GTX 285 probably the most compatible while still fairly fast, I was wondering whether for Win7 and for DX10 games in particular from the Vista days the latest 1080Ti is still perfectly compatible or I might want a slightly older model, like a 980Ti or maybe even like a 780Ti, for reasons I'm not yet aware of?

BTW I'm avoiding AMD on purpose, and I did not mention a DOS build for pre-1995 games because for the time being I'd rather stay with DOSBox.

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 1 of 4, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally, I don't see the point of "going easy" on later hardware than GTX 285 for XP.
Since you will have a 5900 Ultra in Win 98 SE machine, this should cover you for any DX8 capable titles that may present problems on, for example, GTX 780 Ti.
That said, why/how a DX9 capable game would make problems on GTX 780 Ti, especially on Win XP* ?
(*OS designed with DX8, and DX9c build around it).

Other than that, you can always build a PC for Windows 2000 with GeForce 7900 GTX 😀

Feature set for DX10 is too strict for any game that uses it natively (no DX9 mode) - to be "incompatible" with hardware supporting it (first native DX10 game : BF3).

Vista isn't compatible with Pascal (at least officially, there are no OS drivers for any "10 series" card).

157143230295.png

Reply 2 of 4, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is why I do not limit myself to just a few cards unlike many these days when fall into the trap that they can just build two or three systems only to find performance holes and compatibility issues that are not easy to resolve. Hoarding does have its perks that you can build systems that are more specific to what you need vs one or two systems to rule them all. In the end it is nice having rare cards, rare boards, and rare systems that the vast majority drooled and fapped over when they were modern.

For dx9/dx10 the choices are good and dirt cheap depending on what you are aiming for unless it is agp then your balls could get squeezed as the sellers can be pretty greedy at times while those with deeper pockets yolo anything on sight. My advice now is the time if you really want a GTX 295 or a 4870x2 before they become like real estate where the prices are very steep. Fermi isn't bad at all for xp era games.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 4, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:

Feature set for DX10 is too strict for any game that uses it natively (no DX9 mode) - to be "incompatible" with hardware supporting it (first native DX10 game : BF3).

So what does that mean? That there can be problems with games like Crysis that do have DX9 mode, even if you don't use it?

agent_x007 wrote:

Vista isn't compatible with Pascal (at least officially, there are no OS drivers for any "10 series" card).

Does that mean that the gtx 10x0 series can have potential issues with DX10 games (under win7), or they still run them perfectly fine?

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 4 of 4, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So what does that mean? That there can be problems with games like Crysis that do have DX9 mode, even if you don't use it?

It means DX10 games must work on DX10 capable hardware.
Games with "patched" DX10 support, fall (in general) to DX9 category here.
So again :
Have you experienced any compatibility problems with GTX 780 Ti (or heard about someone who did), while using it under Windows XP to play DX9 games (like Crysis you mentioned) ?

Does that mean that the gtx 10x0 series can have potential issues with DX10 games (under win7), or they still run them perfectly fine?

No. It means they need Windows 7 or later to work at all (officially that is).
What made you think that a DX10 game can't run on Pascal and Win 7 ?
I think they run fine (I don't own Pascal GPU to check this), because that's what backwards compatibility is for.

157143230295.png