VOGONS

First post, by Karm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I've got a Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM Video (FTUVL9688M) today.
Thought I figured out the code: FTU for the company VL because it's a VLB card (instead of FTUPCI) 968 because it is a S3 968 and 8M for the number of Mb the card has on board.
Like the 3240 series 2MB equiped 4 max, or Video 3400 (should be the same model rebranded).
Just one think is a little bit strange: the card just has 4MB (I think they were just produced with max. 4MB).
Why is it a FTUVL986 8M ? Is it because of the daughterboard equiped to it? (though it just adds 2 MB to the card)
Or is it because of the mpeg decoder on the card?
Looking at the pictures at VGA Levacy, there are just 4 memorybanks on the 4M instead of 8, like there are on the 8M card, but the max should still be 4MB.
Does anyone know the difference?

Reply 1 of 3, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess you talk of this card
http://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_graphics_c … _vlb_front.html ?

I don't know how the FCC-ID notation was decided, but my guess would be that it is just because the S3 968 supports 8 MB.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 3, by Karm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes should be the same card.
I'm just confused because there is also the 9684M version, which also have 4mb on board. But maybe you're right and there was a 8MB model planed (in the specs there is written something about an 8MB VLB card, but I never saw one.
Thought maybe some of the owners of these cards, knew something about it.

Reply 3 of 3, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the same card, with out the upgrade module.

It is currently 2MB without it and would be at max capacity with the module at 4MB.

feipoa has this card also I believe, with the module... so he has the full 4MB.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks