VOGONS

First post, by hiroshima

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I've built a SS7 machine based on a K6 233, an Apollo MVP3 MoBo, a Viper v330 AGP, a Canopus Pure3D and a Matrox M3D.

I'm trying to run some benchmarks with Quake 2.

Using 3DFX and PowerVR OGL .dlls I've no problem (20 and 11 FPS respectively).

If I want to test the Viper v330 opengl performance setting Default OpenGL in Q2 video settings, all I get is a white screen and I've to ctrl-alt-canc.

I'm using Win98SE and NVIDIA Riva 128 v3.37 drivers.

Are there incompatibilities between MVP3 and the AGP based Riva 128?

M.

My system

Reply 1 of 17, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a guess: Set your desktop to 16 bit color depth.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 17, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try a different driver set, or another version of Quake 2? Test the demo using OpenGL, or patch to a new or older version. Possibly try reinstalling?

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 5 of 17, by hiroshima

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

D3D is working fine, I tested it within dxdiag.
I tried Diamond official drivers (i don't remember reversion number) and I had the same problem.
Maybe I can try a set of driver older than 3.37.

M.

My system

Reply 6 of 17, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is almost a coincidence as I was having major probs getting opengl to work in Q2 with a Intel i740, but in that case it was the
fact that I was using a 24bit desktop depth, 16bit fixed that.

Maybe check out Philscomputerlab's Youtube video on the Riva 128.
I actually purchased the exact same Diamond v330 as You just last night, so will give it a shot when I get it.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 7 of 17, by hiroshima

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've tried a different set of NVIDIA drivers (v2.77 reference)

I've also installed AGP drivers v4.35 as stated here

Recently I had a few Via 4in1 4.35 driver issues with my Gigabyte GA-6VXE7+ Rev 3.0 Via Apollo Pro board. I found that every time I installed the 4in1 drivers, I would encounter problem after problem. Mainly Windows 98 SE start up issues but also several AGP related issues. I then went into device manager and updated the "VIA CPU to AGP controller" under "System Devices" with the Viagart.vxd driver found in the AGP folder of the 4in1 4.35 drivers and my graphics card/start up issues were gone. Also graphics card performance improved by around 50%. Went from 3379 to 6385 points in 3DMark 2001SE. Who knows, may help you too 😀

Oh and before you go reinstalling Windows 98 for whatever reason, boot into "safe mode with command prompt" and go to the Windows\Command directory and enter "scanreg /restore". This will restore your registry to the last known error free start up point also avoiding any other problems the 4in1 drivers created for you. Then just reinstall your drivers again. Better than waiting around for Windows 98 to install again.

Nothing, when I chose Default OpenGL, Q2 gives a white screen.

D3D and DirectDraw testing within DXDIAG perfectly working.

M.

My system

Reply 9 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried removing the opengl32.dll in the quake2 directory in order to force it to use the system's default dll? I kinda remember doing that at some point...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 17, by hiroshima

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

There isn't any opengl32.dll in Q2 folder.
I reinstalled everything from scratch and now Riva 128 works fine with Default OpenGL Q2 drivers and 3.37 NVIDIA reference drivers, obtaining ~20FPS with a Pentium 233 MMX.

Anyway I'm pretty sure that VIA 4 in 1 drivers installer is bugged: even if I install the package (v4.35) on a Win98SE fresh install, it actually doesn't install provided drivers. In fact Win98SE device manager reports that VIA components (AGP, CPU to PCI and CPU to ISA bridges) are still using Microsoft OEM drivers.
I've to install VIA AGP drivers manually as stated in a previous post, leaving CPU to PCI and CPU to ISA bridges with Microsoft drivers.

After solving Riva 128 OpenGL problems, this time is the turn of the Matrox M3D 🤣

Anyway, PMMX 233 is clearly too slow to drive both the Riva 128 and the PowerVR PCX2 cards.

I'm planning to change platform, going for a PII 400.

M.

My system

Reply 13 of 17, by hiroshima

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah that's right.
Anyway this time I have problem installing PowerVR drivers. After install process, even though the card appears in device manager, I haven't any control panel in Display Properties.
I think that's a resource problem.
What do you think about Via 4 in 1 installer bug?

M.

My system

Reply 16 of 17, by hiroshima

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TBH I prefer NVIDIA picture quality. 😁

Anyway, I changed platform going for a Pentium II 400@448MHz, Riva TNT, V2-SLI and the infamous Matrox M3D.

The FPS gain using the PowerVR OpenGL is fairly modest in Q2 timedemo 1: just 22FPs with the Pentium II@400MHz.

I was pretty sure that a stronger FPU than a PMMX@233 would deliver a better frame-per-second score. Well, I was wrong.

I could also see that the PMMX performance in Quake 2 is very similar to that of a K6-233. I've read many reviews that claim the FPU superiority of the Intel CPU, but the substantial level of performance (using both the Riva and the Voodoo 1, less with Matrox) surprised me.

M.

My system

Reply 17 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The issue with the Riva128 is its poor blending precision with subtractive/modulated blending functions making some really banded lightmaps. Riva128 looks better in vertex-lighting only games (i.e. not Quake or Quake2 or Unreal or anything else influenced by Quake)

PowerVR also has its own issues with the lightmaps, being alpha-blended and the texels having noticably blocky filtering. It's a brighter and less saturated game at least 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem