VOGONS

First post, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Voodoo 3500TV card - with the original vga adapter cable. In Windows 98 however, I can go no higher than 640x480, and in Star Trek Armada (granted, that might be a game issue), The only graphics option I get is 640x480 with 16-bit colour?

I have an old tatung 12" CRT monitor that has 640x480 as its default resolution, but it will attempt other ones (it will display 800x600 fine) in Windows 98 on other cards, So i'm confused as to why I can't try any higher than 640x480 on this. Is it a hardware limit because of the TV tuner?

Reply 1 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, not a hardware limit. I used to have a 3500 and it could do higher resolutions no problem.

Maybe try a different monitor.

Or you could try using Powerstrip to manually add more resolutions.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 6, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is common Voodoo3 issue (all V3, not just the 3500TV). When using default windows monitor driver (non-pnp), the V3 will only allow 640x480. The solution is simple, just install different monitor driver - anything from the built-in windows driver list should do the trick. Try to find something like "generic 800x600 screen", it should be there. Just be careful not to burn your CRT by setting higher resolution than it can accept.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 5 of 6, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bergqvistjl wrote:

Thanks. It's a Tatung TM3401 if there are any Win98SE drivers already out there for that monitor?

Just use an default w98 driver that say 800x600 default monitor and live happy